power to PA fault?

This may not be something anyone can help with without seeing the unit, but a friend has handed be a yamaha power mixer which will switch on for all of 1-2secs (lights up fan runs) then switches off. Is this a glaringly obvious fault and easy fix or is this a give it back to said friend and tell them to take it to a professional?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated as always.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Take it to a professional. It almost certainly has a shorted power transistor or other major component which is causing the protection circuitry to shut the amp down.

Whether it's easily or economically fixable depends on the age and type of power amp and power supply design. Older ones can actually be easier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cool, thank you very much. I'm not quite sure why they think "he knows how to plug a guitar into an amp he'll be able to fix things" so I'll point them in the right direction.

• Yup lights and fan on a separate low power circuit effectively, so when the higher power circuit starts the safety elves come out and shut it all down. Job for a pro.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk