Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Headrush Gigboard

What's Hot

Comments

• I think there is a copy function on the headrush. I used the full fat one on Sunday just gone. 
    I found the amp sounds instantly usable and a lot less fiddly than the Helix. 
    I liked the touch screen too

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    The scenario I'm thinking of is when you're half way through the first song of the night and you realise you need (for example) a bit less gain and a bit more bite in your main drive sound.  Maybe it's an effect of the room, the volume level, or maybe you're borrowing somebody else's amp this time.  I want to tweak my drive sound once and then have that instantly populate to all patches where I use that sound.  I don't have time to copy/paste settings.

Right now I do this by using separate drive/boost pedals and an M9 for all the time/mod effects, including song-specific patches.  I'd love to simplify to just one box, and right now the GT1000 seems to be the only one that has this kind of global behaviour.  They all have global EQ, but that's as far as they go

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Trude said:
    The scenario I'm thinking of is when you're half way through the first song of the night and you realise you need (for example) a bit less gain and a bit more bite in your main drive sound.  Maybe it's an effect of the room, the volume level, or maybe you're borrowing somebody else's amp this time.  I want to tweak my drive sound once and then have that instantly populate to all patches where I use that sound.  I don't have time to copy/paste settings.

Right now I do this by using separate drive/boost pedals and an M9 for all the time/mod effects, including song-specific patches.  I'd love to simplify to just one box, and right now the GT1000 seems to be the only one that has this kind of global behaviour.  They all have global EQ, but that's as far as they go

Not an issue for me as I get through a gig with a single patch, and one of the big plusses with using a modeller is consistency, I've never tweaked my patches mid-gig, or even pre-gig, they sound good all the time IMO.

The downside of that approach might be you tweak one patch and the other patches using the same amp sound worse.

See where you are coming from, but I wouldnt let that be the reason to pay the extra from a Headrush to an Axe FX, and personally I dont think the GT1000 sounds as good as other options

• I think with the Helix, the propagation of changes between patches is less of an issue as you have the snapshot functionality which means you can achieve most things with a very small number of patches - maybe just one! :)

It has always been a bug bear of mine as I do tend to tweak a lot..."ooh...that's not sounding as good as I though it did...might try more treble on the drive sounds...now I need to do the same on 12 different presets :( ". It's a problem I have with my current setup, using the GSP1101 which is a traditional patch-based thing. You can tell it was designed to be used that way because a) they put a lot of effort into making patch-switching instantaneous and seamless and b) on the official controller, the front row of footswitches are dedicated to selecting patches and cannot be re-tasked.

It's fine but not ideal...the GT1000 and Helix both solve this in different ways...but they cost 5 times as much and take a lot more setting up...you can't have everything! 
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    Trude said:

headrush has the hands free and you can change settings real time, without using your hands. 
    its not as quick as a global change, but mid song, or mid gig doint it its not so time consuming.
  • John_A said:
    Trude said:

Not an issue for me as I get through a gig with a single patch, and one of the big plusses with using a modeller is consistency, I've never tweaked my patches mid-gig, or even pre-gig, they sound good all the time IMO.

Same here - single patch for a whole gig, made possible by the beauty of Helix snapshots. If I need to tweak anything for that particular gig, I'll just copy the patch during soundcheck and make any necessary adjustments.

Friday's my first gig using it in 4CM with the Jet City, which makes it even easier - I can just tweak on the amp instead.
    <space for hire>
    Part of the issue is probably that I've never made the leap fully into amp modelling.  Even when I've used MFX in the past, it's always been in front of a normal amp, and the variability of the response is what has got me used to tuning drive pedals for every gig.  Maybe if I was using modeled drives into modeled amps it would all be more consistent as you say.  I'd probably still use just one core amp sound for the whole gig though.

I don't think I could manage on a single preset, as I have a few song-specific delays, harmonies and other oddball effects that only get used once in a gig.

The other thing that attracted me to the Headrush is that I'm left-footed for expression pedals (right handed though), and I'd prefer having a remote pedal that I can place on the left side of my board.  Always a downside with the bigger all-in-one units!

Trading feedback here
  • Trude said:
    Part of the issue is probably that I've never made the leap fully into amp modelling.  Even when I've used MFX in the past, it's always been in front of a normal amp, and the variability of the response is what has got me used to tuning drive pedals for every gig.  Maybe if I was using modeled drives into modeled amps it would all be more consistent as you say.  I'd probably still use just one core amp sound for the whole gig though.

I don't think I could manage on a single preset, as I have a few song-specific delays, harmonies and other oddball effects that only get used once in a gig.

The other thing that attracted me to the Headrush is that I'm left-footed for expression pedals (right handed though), and I'd prefer having a remote pedal that I can place on the left side of my board.  Always a downside with the bigger all-in-one units!
    Within my main all-in-the-Helix patch, I only have two amp models - a clean and a crunch (both SLO). Everything else is done with routing and effects blocks within the 8 snapshots. Also, I get most of my variation in gain levels by stacking drive pedals instead of having one for each sound, so instead of having four blocks (one for each gain level), I use the four combinations of two different drive pedal blocks.

When I'm using the 4CM patch, I use the crunch and drive channels of the Jet City amp, and the patch only has the clean amp model for when I need uber-clean.
    <space for hire>
    Trude said:

I have one Helix 'preset'  In that I hasb4 snapshots, clean(ish) crunch, driven, and 'solo' I then have the following effects I can switch in and out:

3 delays (slapback analogue, longish delay, and a space echo (the last 2 have tap tempo, and the volume pedal controls delay level)
    Phaser
    Pitch shift
    Shimmer reverb
    boost
    TS808
    compressor

That gets me through a full gig on a single preset
  • Trude said:

Ha! Foot buddies! :)

I can never understand why they insist on putting the expression pedal on the wrong side of the unit! I never though of expressing this as being 'left-footed' but that's exactly what it feels like. I really struggle using my right foot for wah or volume duties.

I am also the same when it comes to tweaking setting from day to day or venue to venue. I wouldn't listen too much to those that say they just set and forget...I think that is more of a personality thing rather than being down to a specific unit. There's no guarantee that if you go and buy a Helix (or whatever) then you will immediately settle on one patch and never want to change it, just because that's what person x has done. I'd rather go with something that really meets your needs as you see them.

All of these units sound good now...I honestly think the sound quality is less of an issue these days compared to features that suit your needs. 
    @gearaddict - good to know I'm not the only one!

Come to think of it, I use my left foot for all footswitching as a rule, not just expression pedals.  I think it's because if I'm balancing on one leg, I naturally use my right for that and so my left foot is more used to hovering and pressing stuff.

And I agree regarding the sound quality issue.  I'm sure I could get great sounds out of any of these units, but usability is the key, and the GT1000 seems to tick the most boxes for me at this point.  Having six assignable knobs means I can bring the drive settings right to the top level and tweak all presets in real time with ease.  The rest of the UI looks pretty clunky, but then it has a mobile app that helps bring it closer to the Headrush etc.

Another feature I want to explore is MIDI over Bluetooth.  It looks like the GT should support it, in which case I could send patch changes from the OnSong iPad app so my lyrics and GT patches line up automatically.  Handy for dep gigs where I need to queue up the whole set in OnSong.  I don't know if any of the other units can do wireless MIDI without a dongle?

Trading feedback here
  • Trude said:
    @gearaddict - good to know I'm not the only one!

Come to think of it, I use my left foot for all footswitching as a rule, not just expression pedals.  I think it's because if I'm balancing on one leg, I naturally use my right for that and so my left foot is more used to hovering and pressing stuff.

And I agree regarding the sound quality issue.  I'm sure I could get great sounds out of any of these units, but usability is the key, and the GT1000 seems to tick the most boxes for me at this point.  Having six assignable knobs means I can bring the drive settings right to the top level and tweak all presets in real time with ease.  The rest of the UI looks pretty clunky, but then it has a mobile app that helps bring it closer to the Headrush etc.

Another feature I want to explore is MIDI over Bluetooth.  It looks like the GT should support it, in which case I could send patch changes from the OnSong iPad app so my lyrics and GT patches line up automatically.  Handy for dep gigs where I need to queue up the whole set in OnSong.  I don't know if any of the other units can do wireless MIDI without a dongle?
    I reaaaaaaally don’t mean to sound patronising but I think that perhaps are underestimating the power Helix snapshots have. for Instance you could load up a single delay block and have snapshots changes every single parameter instantly. From 1/4 with 3 repeats and a high mix to dotted 8ths with 8 repeats and modulation with a low mix..... but say that snapshot could also change all of the amp settings, the reverb, turn two blocks off, another 3 on and send your signal to a parallels path with a ring modulator.

You can have 62 parameter changes per snapshot

You can have 8 snapshots per patch

you can have 32 blocks of effects per preset 

I get all my function and function dep work done in a single patch unless I need something very specific then I need to copy and paste to the next location and just add it there

I’ve now spent some time with boss and I honestly think you’d be making a mistake if you bought it

Helix, Ax8 and even the Amplfire are leaps and bounds better imo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the difference between a snapshot and just saving exactly the same settings to another preset? Is there some functional difference?

• The is a very slight lag when changing patches. Snapshots are instant and were created partly for that reason. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • And you have trails because you stay within the patch 
    Interesting points re snapshots.  Thanks all for the input - I'll have to do some research....

Currently I reckon I have two M9 scenes of generic effects that I apply a-la-carte to about 75% of the songs (that's 12 individual stomps).  Then I have about 8-10 song-specific combinations of multiple effects that live in the other scenes.  I guess each one of those would equate to a Helix snapshot.  And on top of that I have two drive pedals (OD stays put once I dial it in, and the Crunchbox gets tweaked on the fly for a handful of individual songs), also two boosts (pre and post dirt) and a wah.  Could all of that fit inside one preset, if I use just one amp sound?

Sorry for the thread derail by the way, for anyone who came here to read about the Headrush!  

Trading feedback here
    edited October 2018
    Trude said:
    Interesting points re snapshots.  Thanks all for the input - I'll have to do some research....

Currently I reckon I have two M9 scenes of generic effects that I apply a-la-carte to about 75% of the songs (that's 12 individual stomps).  Then I have about 8-10 song-specific combinations of multiple effects that live in the other scenes.  I guess each one of those would equate to a Helix snapshot.  And on top of that I have two drive pedals (OD stays put once I dial it in, and the Crunchbox gets tweaked on the fly for a handful of individual songs), also two boosts (pre and post dirt) and a wah.  Could all of that fit inside one preset, if I use just one amp sound?

Sorry for the thread derail by the way, for anyone who came here to read about the Headrush!  
    Would like to see your set list,  12 stomps  and you still need 8-10 songs worth of specific stuff, that's a lot of effects.

I would say set up a single (or maybe 2 presets) which would cover your 75%, your song specific stuff really depends on what effects you use, and how different they are from your generic ones
  • Trude said:

Remember that all the M9 stomps are also included in Helix

Do these effects get used individually or in conjunction?

if individually you will need to do it over 2 presets possibly 3 but that’s all.

you can also have the top/bottom rows snapshots, presets or stomps depending how you want to mix it up 
  • The is a very slight lag when changing patches. Snapshots are instant and were created partly for that reason. 
    Ta

Okay chaps, here's some more detail on my setup:

The set list is all over the map - ABBA to Black Sabbath via Bowie, Paul Simon, Chaz n Dave, Queen etc.  We typically have roughly 2x 1hr sets, with about the same amount in reserve and to swap in and out from gig to gig.

This is how the M9 is used:
    Scene1:  Chorus, Phaser, bright delay, warmer delay, long plate reverb, shorter ducking reverb.  This one covers more than half of the gig.  
    Scene2:  (this is for the 50s/60s stuff).  Trem, Slapback delay (two versions with different mix level), spring reverb, room reverb (rarely used).
    Scene3:  This is my "pitchy" scene.  I have two harmony settings (one for Mamma Mia, one for Tiger Feet), and a subtle tap delay to fatten up Mamma Mia.  We medley Don't Stop Me Now into Tiger Feet, so this scene also has a chorus and doubling delay I use for the solo in the Queen song
    Scene4:  This is my Bowie scene!  Top row of three is for Heroes (vibe, delay and reverb - dialed in together to give some approximation of the Fripp parts with a hint of movement to help simulate some of the sweepy filtery bits).  Bottom row is Let's Dance - vibrato, slap echo into tap delay (again, trying to straddle the guitar and synth parts on the record)
    Scene5:  Neglected recently, but this is where I parked some 80s- specific stuff.  I had synth parts and mod/delays for Don't You Want Me and Just Can't Get Enough.  One row of three effects for each.
    Scene6:  The hard-rock scene.  Not completely full yet, but there's a univibe for any time I want a faux-Hendrix thing, a ring mod for the solo in "Paranoid" and a delay setting I use for a modern-rock arrangement of Paint It Black (a one-off for a Halloween gig we have coming up)

All my drives, boosts and wah are in front of the M9.  I also have a Tech21 Leeds between the drives and the M9 so I can go into a power amp/FX return if I need to.  Other times I'll turn that off when going into an amp front-end.

I actually really like the fact that the M9 only allows one effect at a time per block, as it means I can easily toggle between two settings (eg phaser and chorus) in scene1 with just a single press.  Any effects that I never want to combine together, I just arrange them vertically and that takes care of it with no further thinking required.

I also tweak my Crunchbox on the fly for a few different applications.  I usually set it for a saturated rhythm sound, but sometimes I will bump the level and roll down the tone (eg for the fuzz solo in Easy by the Commodores).  

So, there's a bit of space left in scene6, but beyond that I'd have to spill out across more than one folder, which would be a pain to navigate live.  I've grouped the scenes by musical theme like this because obviously you can't assign names to anything, so I have to remember which scene to open up for each song.

All this works for me now, but I'm aware that I'm running out of space, and I'd like to go to a single-box setup as well as potentially benefit from more diverse amp modelling options.

Sorry - I seem to have written an essay!  :tired_face: 

Trading feedback here