Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Glastonbury 2019....

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Just tell me the "toilets" have improved since the 90's...
    Massively. No long drops as far as I know. Although by sunday night things are getting a little whiffy ;)

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited October 2018
    CloudNine said:
    I went in 2000 as one of the last of the gatecrashers - it was so easy to climb over the fence. You could also pay someone a tenner to let you through a hole they had made in the fence! There were 250,000 there and only 100k tickets sold.  It was ridiculously full, a lot of dodgy people around and did not feel safe so it had to change. There were no gaps between any of the tents and it took about an hour or two to get from one stage to the other. I've enjoyed other festivals more, my memories are vague but seeing Bowie was amazing. I prefer smaller festivals now, eg Greenman, Festival 6.
    The Bowie year was particularly mad. Although I recall it was pretty mental the years I went prior to that as well, and always felt dodgy. The whole out of control, lawless thing was what I associated with Glastonbury. Part of the appeal to me in my misguided youth. I reckon if you didn't go 2000 or before, then you haven't really experienced the real Glastonbury, and it definitely won't be coming back. I have had many means of entry. Over the wall on a rope ladder (usually put there by scousers), under it in a tunnel (usually dug by scousers), dodgy hand stamp (scousers). Only thing I never tried, was buying a ticket. 
    Yes there were a lot of scousers doing those things! Though I had just finished three years in Liverpool university so it seemed normal. The way we got over the fence was that a smaller perimeter fence had been dragged up to the main fence by someone (probably scousers), allowing you to climb on it and reach the top of the main fence, chuck bags over and then pull yourself over. It was in clear view of an official entrance but no one stopped us. It was late Friday afternoon and the floodgates had opened. Going back to your tent at night, trying to find it, was a mission and a half.

Another memory of 2000 was Rolf Harris playing a set in a marquee, the crowd went nuts. Seems so wrong now. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    There’s nowt like it, people stumbling around off their nuts, middle class poseurs in£100 wellies, tents getting robbed, pickpockets, burn out hippies and £7 craft beers to go with your £12 burger. Stages sponsored by global corporations. It’s brilliant. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    There’s nowt like it, people stumbling around off their nuts, middle class poseurs in£100 wellies, tents getting robbed, pickpockets, burn out hippies and £7 craft beers to go with your £12 burger. Stages sponsored by global corporations. It’s brilliant. 
    Are we talking about the same glastonbury?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Some of that is accurate, but there's no corporate sponsorship - the main stage is staunchly Water Aid/ Oxfam/ Save The Children etc.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Some of that is accurate, but there's no corporate sponsorship - the main stage is staunchly Water Aid/ Oxfam/ Save The Children etc.
    There are some who I could put that description to but out of 200 thousand people who go it isn't the majority. If it was I would t want to go again either. I've always thought the food and beer was reasonably priced and never felt ripped off. Both are great quality and tasty. Never paid £12 for a burger either 
  • I've played a few festivals this year. I'm well past the not showering, shitting in a hole and tent business nowadays. I do love a festival though so I just do a hotel which usually wipes out any fee I make on the actual gigs! 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Jalapeno said:
    There are some who I could put that description to but out of 200 thousand people who go it isn't the majority. If it was I would t want to go again either. I've always thought the food and beer was reasonably priced and never felt ripped off. Both are great quality and tasty. Never paid £12 for a burger either 
    Agreed - there's usually a Jamaican Jerk Chicken place there - it's bloody lovely and really good value
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    boogieman said:

I wouldn’t go again though, partly because I’m too old to sleep in a field nowadays, but mostly because my ex and her nob-end of a husband are there every time as part of the clean up crew. 
    You seem to be missing that this is the perfect opportunity to revenge poo them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    hotpickups said: You'll be gone by the time the clean up crew move in /) Don't let the past stop you from enjoying the future matey :(

Nah the crew work all the time, they have to keep on top of all the rubbish daily or it’d take weeks to clear up afterwards. They work shifts and get free entry and food though, so it’s not too bad a deal.

I tolerate my ex wife because my son lives with her and I have to deal with her on a regular basis. No need for me to put up with her dickhead of a husband though. My wife is the most tolerant person you’d ever wish to meet and even she said what a twat he is, after the first time they met. But that’s my ex’s problem not mine. Meanwhile I have a great life with my lovely wife, so all good here.  :)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314

Kitsune said:
    boogieman said:

I wouldn’t go again though, partly because I’m too old to sleep in a field nowadays, but mostly because my ex and her nob-end of a husband are there every time as part of the clean up crew. 
    You seem to be missing that this is the perfect opportunity to revenge poo them.
    You sir, get a lol for that  :3
  • I got tickets. This will be my 12th. First went in 1998, my first 3 I didn't have a ticket. I love it and always try to go and I don't care who's on the line up, if you can't find something you want to do there's something wrong with you. Never seen beers for 7 quid or burgers for 12, maybe someone can point out where these have been available in the past? It's funny how naysayers tend to be people who have never been.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I got tickets. This will be my 12th. First went in 1998, my first 3 I didn't have a ticket. I love it and always try to go and I don't care who's on the line up, if you can't find something you want to do there's something wrong with you. Never seen beers for 7 quid or burgers for 12, maybe someone can point out where these have been available in the past? It's funny how naysayers tend to be people who have never been.
    I couldn't agree with you more so @Johnnyseven . Maybe we'll meet up there you never know lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    The one time I went, we managed to find a nice quiet spot in the middle of the afternoon on Saturday to sit for a bit.  I fell asleep and had *the* most vivid dream about Squeeze, only to wake up and find Glen Tilbrook playing about 50 feet away.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    I remember a letter in viz saying you could get the glastonbury experience by standing at the back of your garden in the rain while watching glastonbury on your tv and get your wife/husband to stand in front of you waving a flag and then charge you £5 for a can of warm lager : )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    I remember a letter in viz saying you could get the glastonbury experience by standing at the back of your garden in the rain while watching glastonbury on your tv and get your wife/husband to stand in front of you waving a flag and then charge you £5 for a can of warm lager : )
    munckee said:
    Heathen ;)
  • munckee said:
    munckee said:
    Heathen ;)
    Obviously a heathen, it should be real ale or craft beer.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    I had some scrumpy at Glastonbury once that made me lose a few hours!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    The bloody flags are reason enough not to go. 

“I know, let’s go and see some really good bands, and wave around massive flags so nobody behind can see them. That’ll be fun.”

Even though I’ve had some good times at Glastonbury and seen some awesome performances, I have to agree with the naysayers. It’s a byword for smug twattery in many cases. The TV coverage is even worse than the real thing in that regard if that’s possible. 

There’s umpteen little festivals across the country where you can get hammered on cider and have a dance around. You don’t need to spend a week and a grand on that particular leisure activity unless you’re doing it just on the off chance of getting on telly.  Or to show off about it on social media at every opportunity.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    So, the headline act for Glastonbury 2019 is.... Stormsy.

Wonder how many tickets just went up on eBay?