What is your ‘sound’?

What's Hot

Comments

• Strat (bridge pickup - overwound) > Rat (everything at about  9pm) > WEM Dominator Mk 3 Bass with 15" speaker

With occasional boosts and delays before and after the Rat to taste.
    You should set everything on the Rat to 9am instead. The difference is night and day
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Single coils into a loud clean Fender amp with lots of delay and reverb and the occasional bit of overdrive and fuzz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited October 2018
    Single coils into tweed as the basis. + pedals. + more pedals.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    Marshall 'sizzle' through something with humbuckers.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    High gain, bridge pickup, distortion/drive pedals into clean amp. High bass, very high mids, mid-to-high treble, low presence.
    Fierce angry riffage ala Matt Pike, Tom G Warrior, Kurt Ballou, Jimmy Bower, Tony Iommi etc with a sprinkling of psychedelic ambience using Nemesis Delay and reverb.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited October 2018
    Indie/post-rock/shoegazey stuff. So high edge of clean, lots of effects of many flavours, all kinds of different guitars - whatever I feel like playing/stuff chosen based on how “fat” I need the tone to be in any given arrangement. Occasionally open up the throttle to go full-on wall of sound distortion... but not every time...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Generally a Fender or similar into a Fender or similar.  Minimal drive, good volume.  I like the sound of rooms, so tend to record with a mic set at some distance.  This is a good example, although posted before.  

https://soundcloud.com/menamestom/fender-nocaster-test 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Clean

Pushed Clean - EP Booster, dirty channel for 1970s style rock sound

Creamy - Zendrive

Fuzz - Mooer Black Triangle or somesuch

Queen Covers - Treble Boost, TRex Moller
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I play mostly what you might call shoegaze.dream-pop/ambient sorta ting, so my core sound is something that most of you will hate: Jazzmaster neck pickup->stereo chorus->12-bit DDL->reverb-> Silverface Twin Reverb and Orange AD30 in stereo, both set just below the onset of grit.

While I guess it's an acquired taste, I can get lost for hours with that sound.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Nice one @menamestom , real mid 60s vibe there.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
     Single coil guitar.

Clean Fender or plexi (so Bassman) amp or equivalent digital model.

Drive pedal more or less always on and set to edge of breakup and compressing slightly so can do clean or more grit/sustain depending on right hand and guitar volume control.

Delay with low mix level with lightly modulated repeats and/or plate reverb for a bit of subtle movemebt/ambience.

Stack with a distortion pedal or fuzz  — but not heavy square wavey fuzz — for more rock/fusion lead.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Heavy shit, generally, but switchable from moderately tweedy clean up to full brown note.

Yes, I use pedals.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited October 2018
    If we're posting clips my SoundCloud with rough riff ideas/demos etc gives a good idea of my style I guess -

Listen to Pieces [Drop D] by Tom Rogers #np on #SoundCloud

Most of the recordings are done with Amplitube though, on the silver jubilee or AFD100 model with a 121/57 mic blend.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Strat (bridge pickup - overwound) > Rat (everything at about  9pm) > WEM Dominator Mk 3 Bass with 15" speaker

With occasional boosts and delays before and after the Rat to taste.
    You should set everything on the Rat to 9am instead. The difference is night and day
    Genius!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Been thinking about this since Rocker started the thread. Even spent 30 minutes at lunchtime running through different sounds. The answer is that there isn’t a single sound which gets me. I like edge of clean with a bit of bloom, but brighter and cleaner than @p90fool ‘s excellent video. I like a soaring, overdriven, compressed solo sound, with added delay and reverb. I like snarling, choppy, uncompressed chords. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Default for me is Strat neck pickup with some low gain drive added to Fender type amp with clean headroom, then Strat bridge pickup with some thick mid gain with fuzzy edge, both need to be dynamic and articulate. Add delay with some modulation on the repeats. Still trying to perfect it with constant gear chasing as many I’m sure! This was the most recent attempt.

https://youtu.be/oUKhdwTb204
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    DiMarzio HBs on a 7 string with Floyd Rose into Soldano with Strymon, Tonal heaven.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    Depends on the band, but mostly my strat into a 6V6 amp on 10 is breaking up, but then the volume backed off, sorta like this

With the Les Paul, volume open and fuzz

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Strat, switch position 4, gain and delay on amp but guitar volume half way down
  • @Whitecat ; & @lasermonkey ; have you got any samples, would genuinely like to hear. No worries if not.
    @dindude I really liked that, wasn't so keen when you added the swirl, but the rest of the sound was beautiful.

I honestly don't know how to describe my sound, except I pretty much use the same one for everything, maybe turn the guitar volume down a bit to clean it up. I like things to sound "open & musical" even with loads of dirt- so I like RATs but not keen on some of the metal type pedals. Though some people sound good with them (the guy with the Vines, not a huge fine, but he has a good sound. Think I read he uses a metalzone). At present I'm not using any pedals at all. I like reverb with everything.

A digression, but I think it's interesting... I always loved John Mayo's sound with Dr Feelgood, but in pictures all I could see was Marshalls & it sounded like there was reverb on it. I never worked it out, but now you can see vids on YouTube he had an old type Roland Space echo- perhaps he had that on a lot of the time?