Broadband provider? Who's on what? And how much?

What's Hot
Just had a price hike to 55£ from 30£ so I am looking for a new provider. Currently on BT with download speed about 45Mb. Would like to maintain speed but not pay more than 30£. I hear plusnet plugging on the radio a lot... Was with Sky before BT but their BB was shite!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I went from virgin to sky, had sky q without sport or movies and by combining I could get the sport and movies for the same total spend as before.  I have found sky broadband to be great no issues at all.  My sister in law has bt and if a couple of them are online and someone else goes on, one of them gets kicked off!

My dad swears by plusnet which if you want basic broadband and phone as cheap as possible seems to be a good deal.
  • munckee said:
    I went from virgin to sky, had sky q without sport or movies and by combining I could get the sport and movies for the same total spend as before.  I have found sky broadband to be great no issues at all.  My sister in law has bt and if a couple of them are online and someone else goes on, one of them gets kicked off!

My dad swears by plusnet which if you want basic broadband and phone as cheap as possible seems to be a good deal.
    I could go back to sky - I am still using the dish for freesat - and see what they are offering. My router was ancient with Sky, so that would probably explain the service.  Could go virgin but don't really want them digging up my front garden :dizzy: 

• Plusnet are as fast as BT exchange can handle. They used to "throttle" usage. Maybe they still do 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    If you want to save money then look elsewhere but Zen are excellent and don’t throttle.
    About £50 a month.
  • Plusnet are as fast as BT exchange can handle. They used to "throttle" usage. Maybe they still do 
    I'm with Plusnet - they don't throttle, but they do prioritise according to the traffic type. My base connection is £20/month (and, living right next to the cabinet, I get the full 80Mbit/s down and 20Mbit/s up), and I pay an extra fiver a month for all my traffic to be top priority.

Not sure they offer that extra prioritisation to new customers any more, though.
    <space for hire>
  • was thinking I could save by going capped then just found out in July we used 360GB!! School holidays - bloody little gits :)

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Virgin at home, because of legacy and inertia (NTL only game in town when we moved years ago).

However, for work and for business clients we generally use Merula. A bit dearer than the high street, but people who actually know what they're talking about and don't fob you off with bullshit. Possibly helps that I have the MD on Skype, but I don't think so.

Failing that ICUK (now Cix) are pretty good, and if you want to go with a larger/better known option Zen or even Plus.Net.

BT, Sky, Virgin, etc. are really all just sides of the same shit coin - pile 'em high, low headline price, service to match, and actually not really that much cheaper (if at all) when the dust settles. For the large players, their pricing means if you happen to be a problematic customer (crappy line, dodgy cabinet, poor location or whatever) it's generally cheaper for them to just let you get pissed off and leave rather than do something about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    edited October 2018
    Plusnet Fibre 66Mb unlimited at £29/mth is looking like the best option.
  • Okay I've pulled the trigger with Plusnet @28.99 /mth with a £50 cash back cheque courtesy of the MSE website ;) 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Sky for £18 per month, it used to be BE Internet, before Sky took them over.

Its definitely not the quickest, but seems to work ok for streaming Netflix/YouTube etc. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Virgin for about £32 a month. Have had zero faults.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited October 2018
    I'm on Virgin for £29 per month, 100M broadband, phone and regular TV. 12 month offer.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BT are annoying in that you have to call the Sales team to get a decent price at end of every deal "term". Otherwise you get fleeced to compared to others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    was thinking I could save by going capped then just found out in July we used 360GB!! School holidays - bloody little gits :)

They were at school on July, it was your 'exotic' movie downloads wasn't it : )

Plusnet seems a decent deal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    I was on BT Infinity but moved to Plusnet.
    Both claim 80Mb but Plusnet is by far the better speed despite being the same line. I get around 60-70Mb now whereas on BT I was struggling to get 5Mb most days, and that's with reconfiguring of channels.

So yeah, I definitely recommend full-fat Plusnet for £29 per month. They don't block certain torrent sites either, unlike BT. I'd still use a VPN though.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Virgin here, the router could be better but the connection is stable and fast.  I pay £55 for 300Mb down and 20Mb up including line rental

I moved my mobile over to Virgin at the same time and got a 10GB data plan for £12/month.  The auxiliary mobile charges are extortion though (£5 per MB for roaming data in the US, or £5,000 per GB to put it another way)

Your area will determine which provider can offer you the best service
  • BT = expensive (and not worth it)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I've moved out of my house and into a place where part of the rent contributes to the cost of the wifi (although I plug my laptop into the router via a LAN cable). I still need my email address but not the line rental or the broadband charges applied to the house I just moved out of.

Will BT give me a deal that keeps my email address but doesn't charge for the broadband? I doubt it. Is there any way I can keep the email address without shelling out loadsa money for it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    BT.....it’s average as most of them....and expensive, 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Bear in mind there’s more to this than pure £££ or speed.

For instance: you might want to consider what traffic management/traffic shaping (throttling) the ISP uses.
    Then you could also check the ISP’s upload speed as well as it’s download speed.
    A question: could you, if you wanted, use your own modem? Pertinent if the ISP insist on providing their own hobbled old-tech cheapo modem, and you shrug your shoulders in despair.
    Oh, another and another question: is the ISP you are considering, involved in filtering out content? Are you aware that the top four major ISPs have signed up to a voluntary code of practice meaning that customers have to 'opt out' of the ISP filtering to gain access to the blocked content.

Of course, it depends on what you’re criteria are for choosing an ISP, so feel free to ignore me and go for the cheapest.