Calling Telecaster experts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• If they're ceramic get rid anyway. If alnico, I'm assuming you've lowered the bass and raise the treble side. Always works when I do it to get rid of mud in a tele neck pickup. Assuming also it doesn't have a brass cover on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited September 2018
    ICBM said:
    I could be wrong, but I don’t think the Japanese reissues came with the 50s wiring. 
    Photographs of the OP's guitar control cavity would confirm this one way or the other. (JV Squier Telecasters had the three-way bridge/neck/muffle wiring and a stupidly slim neck.) 

One quick test is to attempt to lodge the three-way selector switch half way between the central and bridge positions. If this yields a different sound from any of the three existing options, the wiring must be the '52 circuit. 

chris78 said:
    Wood is often decent though.
    Damned by faint praise, methinks.

Right now, I have under my roof an AVRI '62 Stratocaster and an MIJ FSR Sixties Stratocaster. Unplugged, the American guitar is louder and sustains for longer. The American guitar does what most people would wish that the MIJ one could do. Both play nicely but the American guitar gives back more of what the player puts in.

Having said that, the MIJ re-issue is a fine platform for modification. If the owner is happy for it to look like a "vintage" Telecaster whilst sounding very unlike one, all manner of pickup upgrading possibilities are open. 
    Be seeing you.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    edited September 2018
    I ditched an original 58 neck pickup for one of Oil city’s big pole piece Liquidators. 

Absolutely the best Tele neck pup in history.

@TheGuitarWeasel ; will assist! 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited September 2018
    Cheers, chaps. I will open her up in the next few days and report back.

P.s. He's already bought a new pick-up for it, which he wants me to fit. I'm just checking whether I even need to. It's a Dimarzio affair I think. Not my cup of char, but each to their own.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1698
    A set of Toneriders will set him up .Lots of love in teleland for them .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Right. Better late than never. Here are some gut shots. So what wiring is this that's causing the neck pickup to be muddy? How can I rectify it? Thanks in advance.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    That’s standard ‘modern’ wiring, but all the parts apart from the caps are dreadful quality... and the jack will be unless it’s already been changed.

I would replace the lot - CRL switch, CTS pots (you need 8mm bushings unless you want to drill out or replace the plate - they do these now) and Switchcraft jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3354

That looks like it was mixing cement on a building site! I bought a new plate for my Baja, a genuine Fender one, it only cost a few quid.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9979
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Right. Better late than never. Here are some gut shots. So what wiring is this that's causing the neck pickup to be muddy? How can I rectify it? Thanks in advance.

Do what @ICBM ; says ... all the components on that plate are total garbage, the switch in particular is totally 'Noddy and Bigears'.
    Put in CTS Pots (you will probably have to ream the pot holes in the plate to take the fatter shaft), CRL switch, switchcraft output jack and a single Sprague Orange drop cap .... and everything will feel, and almost certainly sound a ton better.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    Same stuff as was in my Paisley - total crap. Swapping that lot for CTS, CRL and Switchcraft will make a big difference

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Thanks, chaps. Where's the cheapest place to get such electrics these days. Allparts?
    So i got some 24mm Alpha pots from Karltone, but the shaft is too big for
    the knobs unfortunately. See the photo below - left is the new pot, right is the old one. Where can I get some decent quality pots that fit these knobs? Help! @ICBM ;

http://imgur.com/gallery/MqF0GCs

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Probably easier to get new knobs for the pots though I’d have gone with cts over Alpha tbh.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Those look like the odd knobs which are made for split shafts as well as having a grub screw.

I would just drill them out to fit the pot shafts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Thanks, both
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    ICBM said:
    John_A said:
    Wow, that's a bonkers price...
    What they ask and what they get may be miles apart