Egnater Tweaker Faulty - Any Ideas?

deanodeano Frets: 622
I posted this in the recommended amp techs thread...

Anyone have a recommendation for someone near Chesterfield, Derbyshire for an Egnater Tweaker wil a pre-amp that isn't working? At the moment I plug my Zoom G3X into the FX loop return and it sounds fine, but plugging into the pre-amp gives a very low and distorted sound.

I bought some new 12AX7's from Watford Vales and that made no difference, but I don't have a valve tester to check they are okay. I have tested all of the internal fuses for continuity and they seem okay. I can't see anything obviously wrong on the PCB so I'm now stuck.

I would have gone to MJW but they have relocated to Scotland unfortunately.

Anyone recommend anyone in Derbyshire, South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire region who would know about Egnaters?
But there were no answers son I'm asking in case anyone has any ideas what is going wrong with the Tweaker's pre-amp.

The power amp is fine as witnessed by my going from the G3X into the loop's return and playing fine. When I go in via the guitar in jack the sound is very low volume and "crackly".

As I say I have replaced the pre-amp valves, but I have no clue if they were working anyway when I bought them. I just assumed they were. I have also checked all the fuses I can see for continuity and they are fine.

Anyone any ideas what could be wrong from the limited symptoms I can identify? Does it sound like a bad valve still?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Not likely if you changed them and the fault was exactly the same. It sounds like a failed resistor in the power supply or something of that sort.

I think @DJH83004 is in Nottingham...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• deanodeano Frets: 622
    Thanks @ICBM. Much appreciated.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2572
    tFB Trader
    Dave as mentioned above has done a number of tweakers.

I know a number of guys in Birmingham Leeds Manchester area too if you are happy for a drive
    I currently work in Nottingham so it would make more sense to go to the Nottingham guy. I can drop it off/collect on the way home.

Whereabouts in Nottingham are we talking?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    deano said:
    I currently work in Nottingham so it would make more sense to go to the Nottingham guy. I can drop it off/collect on the way home.

Whereabouts in Nottingham are we talking?
    https://www.classicvalveamps.co.uk/contact
    Ta muchly.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Hi Deano, just read your post, yes would be more than happy to look at your Tweaker, you have taken all the logical steps but as IC says there is something a bit more amiss than preamp valves. will PM you my contact details, Thanks, Dave
    Hi Dave, replied by PM.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
    Might be worth checking the input jack is clean first? Give it a swab with some contact cleaner.