Carlton amps, UK made

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    GurbZ said:
    Thanks for the input! I mailed 5 repair centers in Glasgow but schematics are not available. I have the Camel schematics however, maybe that's a bit of help for my repair guy.

The trouble with the amp: it seems stuck in USA crunch mode (gain stage red light in button stays red after pressing it) when switching tot clean channel. After some time being powered on, the USA crunch button seems working after pressing it (red light dims) but the sound stays distorted when switching too clean channel (green light). Other smaller trouble: reverb does not work and when activating reverb the amp becomes noisy, same deal when activating send/return effect loops, a lot of high noise. The sound is a bit weird at low volumes. The amp is DAMN loud when testing it on a Marshall 1960 cab.

So: I haven't heard clean tones yet from this amp only distorted tones and a bit freaky tones at low volumes. My repair guy agrees to take a look at it but he becomes expensive if he can't find the culprit without schematics.
    That's partly good, at least - the problem is not in the power amp.

My guess if there is a lot of different stuff wrong involving the switching, loop and reverb, that it could be something to do with the low-voltage (probably +/- 15V) power supply circuit… although a non-working and noisy reverb can also often simply be a broken return transducer connection in the tank.

The Camel schematics are almost certain to be completely different, it's a valve amp.

If you really can't find anyone who will take a look at it where you are without costing you a fortune (if it's not something simple), PM me - I would be willing to look at it and there may be a possible way of getting it to Scotland as long as you're not in a hurry!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    They should join up with Palmer and then be 'Carlton Palmer'...

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/content/thumbnails/00173/17216-zoom.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Has anyone else heard of them of have any additional info? It would be much appreciated.

I've found this on the 'net,  http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12641715.Carlton_funding_leads_to_a_bigger_noise/

Also, the article mentions the designer as using his CAD knowledge to build the amps, there is a guy with the same name now working for Original CAD Solutions in Wales, coincidence?

Russ

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    While we are bumping, one here on ebay BIN £70

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlton-ProSeries-Combo-Amplifier-/302620188939?

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    Tempting, but the seller sounds like a bit of a tit. Even though I could probably get them to deliver it to my dad's house since that's on one of the "listed routes"...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited October 2018
    Tone is possibly in the ear of the beholder, but yes... dreadful in my opinion.

don't confuse this with Carlton's solid state amplifiers this is a whole different animal.” They certainly are .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

”don't confuse this with Carlton's solid state amplifiers this is a whole different animal.” They certainly are .
    Okay, thanks!
  • ICBM said:

”don't confuse this with Carlton's solid state amplifiers this is a whole different animal.” They certainly are .
    Okay, thanks!
    So @ICBM this is the "undesired" one right? 

For me, yes. It’s easy to tell because it has valves in :).

• Yes, dumb question but I just wanted your expert opinion. It's at a mates house, left there by his brother years ago and I said I'd get it checked out for him. So what do you reckon its worth?

Yes, dumb question but I just wanted your expert opinion. It's at a mates house, left there by his brother years ago and I said I'd get it checked out for him. So what do you reckon its worth?
    Hard to say - even though I don’t like them it’s still a 50W valve amp of reasonable build quality with a half-decent speaker. Probably about £200-250 if it’s working properly, maybe slightly more.

The £375 the seller is asking for the wicker grille one sounds a bit optimistic but probably not completely bonkers.

Give it a try - you may even like it, I don’t know! Some people like 90s Trace Elliot valve amps too .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Yes, dumb question but I just wanted your expert opinion. It's at a mates house, left there by his brother years ago and I said I'd get it checked out for him. So what do you reckon its worth?
    Hard to say - even though I don’t like them it’s still a 50W valve amp of reasonable build quality with a half-decent speaker. Probably about £200-250 if it’s working properly, maybe slightly more.

The £375 the seller is asking for the wicker grille one sounds a bit optimistic but probably not completely bonkers.

Give it a try - you may even like it, I don’t know! Some people like 90s Trace Elliot valve amps too .
    Will do - thanks for the knowledge :)
  • I have managed to get a mint condition Carlton Pharoah F10R solid state combo to try out, if there is any demand, we might bring them back to market