Back from London

What's Hot

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    As a portuguese living in London for nearly 6 years now. I sort of understand how it looks appealing the first few times around and especially as you visit it as a tourist.

It's still a nice city with lots of stuff to do, but after 6 years I can also share some of the feelings around here. I'm well beyond tired of certain aspects of it as well.

I don't blame people who choose to buy a place to live outside London (I definitely can't fault those who choose to do it in the country side).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Last couple of visits to London i have tried to use the river boats where possible, much better than the tube
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    I find the easiest way to navigate London is on foot. Most things of interest are not that far away from each other, and by the time you've navigated stairs and waited for a tube or a boat, you would probably have already been there by foot.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • metalemetale Frets: 57
    edited October 2018
    Hi everyone. Yeah, I walk alot in London, but I'm (again) staying in west Ealing and so I need to at least do a Ealing Broadway to Bond Street (and back) or something like that. Also I have friends in Sutton, so I may want to catch a train to there and the card would cover that.

Plus the Oyster Visitor differs from the normal as in the fares are lower and so is the daily cap. Will keep trying, 3 credit cards already and all the same generic error.

This time I'm traveling alone, so will have a diferent program. No Harry Potters  Some pubs. Maybe the free Jack the Ripper tour or or something.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    metale said:
    Plus the Oyster Visitor differs from the normal as in the fares are lower and so is the daily cap.
    Actually, I don’t think that’s right. Fares and caps are the same. (Though you might not care).  
    You are actually right. Only diference is the associated discounts on restaurants and attractions. Still I would rather get out of the plane with a charged oyster rather than have to go to the subway station to buy a regular one and back again to go catch the Heathrow Connect train. Will have to if I can'

Contactless bank card is a no-go for me, even if I ask for a new card to get contactless the international fee-per-operation is too much on my bank. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    metale said:
    Hi everyone. Yeah, I walk alot in London, but I'm (again) staying in west Ealing and so I need to at least do a Ealing Broadway to Bond Street (and back) or something like that. Also I have friends in Sutton, so I may want to catch a train to there and the card would cover that.

Plus the Oyster Visitor differs from the normal as in the fares are lower and so is the daily cap. Will keep trying, 3 credit cards already and all the same generic error.

This time I'm traveling alone, so will have a diferent program. No Harry Potters  Some pubs. Maybe the free Jack the Ripper tour or or something.

Hi Metale.

get yourself over to East London, Old St station. Then have a walk around Shoreditch - there are some great streets, bars, cafes etc to look round, and some independent shops. From there you can walk to Whitechapel (Jack RIpper area), then down to St Katherine Docks (lovely), from there you can see Tower Bridge and the Tower of London (awesome). Then walk back into the city, through the City of London (financial district), which has some absolutely amazing buildings.

Pubs - Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, on Fleet St. Best pub in London IMO. Charles Dickens was a regular. Cheap beer, great food, amazing atmosphere.

From there you can also walk to the Old Mitre, which is a hidden pub, and its one of the oldest in London. Near Chancery Lane, in a little courtyard in the middle of a row of Georgian houses. Great little place. Google it.

I love walking around London, so much to see. And the tube is pretty rank tbh, busy and hot. Much better than it was 20 years ago though, for sure.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Take the bus! Much more enjoyable than the tube, plus it's cheaper.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Oyster should cover you going to Sutton. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Take the bus! Much more enjoyable than the tube, plus it's cheaper.
    erm... some journeys may be cheaper (but definitely not all) but for anything other than a really short trip the tube is much better. 
  • I was meaning in central London not going further afield. A single bus journey is £1.50 with the ability to take a 2nd journey free within an hour, I doubt you can take the tube for less.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    Reverend said:
    Oyster should cover you going to Sutton. 

Yep, Oyster is fine to Sutton.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Finally managed to order the Oyster  :)

Getting pretty stoked already.

Bus would be nice, but would take a learning curve to understand it while I have the tube thing all figured out  :)

Anyone in Ealing or central London want to join for a beer?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    Bus is rubbish.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I like London but prefer the Algarve so touché :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    As yet another Portuguese living in London I still love it. 12+ years now. Bought a house just outside the M25 though as house prices inside are ridiculous, never mind the pollution and noise. Every year I do the tourist thing and it pays off even though it's my city.
  • Wierd reading this as I'm sitting in Lisbon airport about to fly home. 

Regarding tourists in London, if you have an iPhone, download the app Citimapper. It will sort out the buses and everything else for you. 
  • Old pubs : Prospect of Whitby in Wapping Wall (providing you don't arrive same time as a tourist bus stopping for 30 minutes)
    and if you were to brave the pavement, not that I've walked it but it looks scary, walk through Rothehithe tunnel to get to the Mayflower. Just don't tell the tourists about the Mayflower!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Wierd reading this as I'm sitting in Lisbon airport about to fly home. 

Regarding tourists in London, if you have an iPhone, download the app Citimapper. It will sort out the buses and everything else for you. 
    Also available on Android
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    carlos said:
    As yet another Portuguese living in London I still love it. 12+ years now. Bought a house just outside the M25 though as house prices inside are ridiculous, never mind the pollution and noise. Every year I do the tourist thing and it pays off even though it's my city.
    I’m not a massive fan of London - only been a handful of times but it’s not really for me. On the other hand I would love to go go for a holiday in Portugal!

Grass is always greener etc.
    Previously known as stevebrum