What is your ‘sound’?

What's Hot

Comments

• kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited October 2018

I now use a Line 6 Helix as my whole rig direct to mixer in Stereo and monitor via IEM's.

All my presets/snapshots are using the Placater amp (which is based on the Friedman BE100) at various gain settings, using a dual IR setup. The IR is the same Celestion Greenback 4x12 IR on both sides using the Royer R121 mic.

My Clean sound isn't really clean, it's breaking up just enough that it starts to compress, negating the need for any compressor in the chain. In the mix it sounds clean if I'm playing light but if I dig in it growls a bit.

My snapshots then go up in gain. Crunch, Heavy Crunch and Lead. I'm a massive fan of the tone of Steve Lukather and Andy Timmons. So I've always gravitated to that big guitar sound thats full and meaty and not harsh in anyway. I use big stereo subtle delays on alot of rhythm stuff and more prominant delays all my leads.

After struggling with amps for a good few years I'm now really happy with my setup and sound. The Helix has enhanced the whole gigging experience for me and completely changed how the whole band approach things. So much so the bass player in my band is now going direct to mixer via a Sansamp and has never sounded better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Whitecat ; & @lasermonkey ; have you got any samples, would genuinely like to hear. No worries if not.
    @dindude I really liked that, wasn't so keen when you added the swirl, but the rest of the sound was beautiful.

I honestly don't know how to describe my sound, except I pretty much use the same one for everything, maybe turn the guitar volume down a bit to clean it up. I like things to sound "open & musical" even with loads of dirt- so I like RATs but not keen on some of the metal type pedals. Though some people sound good with them (the guy with the Vines, not a huge fine, but he has a good sound. Think I read he uses a metalzone). At present I'm not using any pedals at all. I like reverb with everything.

A digression, but I think it's interesting... I always loved John Mayo's sound with Dr Feelgood, but in pictures all I could see was Marshalls & it sounded like there was reverb on it. I never worked it out, but now you can see vids on YouTube he had an old type Roland Space echo- perhaps he had that on a lot of the time?
    I'd imagine they added some things at the mixing desk? Like Jeff Beck with his Pro Juniors
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    Thick, Chewy sleazy high gain crunch with a tight (though not necessaily big or fat) bottom end, and sweet ringing highs that cut but aren't piercing or harsh.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    It's oddly consistent - which isn't to say I like it but I do seem to sound like me. Not too thin, bright but not painful, I don't like too much distortion but I don't really do super clean. I use delay sometimes, occasionally fuzz, really struggle to get on with modulation.

I suspect it's a very generic electric guitar sound.

@Whitecat ; & @lasermonkey ; have you got any samples, would genuinely like to hear. No worries if not.
    @dindude I really liked that, wasn't so keen when you added the swirl, but the rest of the sound was beautiful.

I honestly don't know how to describe my sound, except I pretty much use the same one for everything, maybe turn the guitar volume down a bit to clean it up. I like things to sound "open & musical" even with loads of dirt- so I like RATs but not keen on some of the metal type pedals. Though some people sound good with them (the guy with the Vines, not a huge fine, but he has a good sound. Think I read he uses a metalzone). At present I'm not using any pedals at all. I like reverb with everything.

A digression, but I think it's interesting... I always loved John Mayo's sound with Dr Feelgood, but in pictures all I could see was Marshalls & it sounded like there was reverb on it. I never worked it out, but now you can see vids on YouTube he had an old type Roland Space echo- perhaps he had that on a lot of the time?
    Possibly used the Roland just as a pre amp although on the Mayo era tracks there are certainly examples of overdubbing to create more complex sounds so maybe he was using delay live for some of that. 
    I saw the current Dr Feelgood a couple of years ago with Steve Walwayn and he was guitar+OD+amp. I don't know what OD he had but I like how he used it quite subtly just to lift some of his solos a bit. 
    [ According to their website Walwyn doesn't use any pedals - well either he was or was at least channel changing because he definitely stomped on something and it got louder]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    Sounds great Dindude.
    Crystal cleans here,

• Yeah, I tend to use plugins at the moment when recording, as I can't make much noise in the apartment. I usually go with Soundtoys Echoboy for delay and Valhalla Vintage Verb for reverb, although my favourite DDLs are from the Roland DEP-5.
    I have to say, if you're into vintage DDLs, there's not an awful lot out there regarding plugins. Everyone seems to favour BBD delays and tape echoes. Now, I love a Space Echo as much as the next guy, but so far, the only analogue delay I've liked was the Yamaha E1010. I like my echoes loud and distinct, though not completely pristine. There's something about a 12-bit delay that really works for me. Maybe it's the graininess. I'm not really sure, but for me, all DDLs are not created equal. I also like the Deltalab DL4 and those in the Boss SE70 and would like get hold of a Yamaha D1500 or two to try out.

An impending house move saw most of my gear put into storage and although the move never ended up being postponed, there never seemed to be a convenient time to reassemble the home studio properly. It's quite frustrating!

I'm working on a track at the moment and although it's all plugins, it will give you a rough idea of what it's all about. Eventually, once I have a space I can make a reasonable amount of noise in, I will re-amp all the guitars, using pedals and rack units, along with the Valhalla reverb plugin, which is gorgeous.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Thanks @thecolourbox @EricTheWeary for thoughts about John Mayo. Could well be something at the mixing desk, as I'm thinking mostly of the live records like On The Job.
    @lasermonkey would be great to hear the new track if you post it.
    Excellent sound & stunning playing @gordiji also enjoyed listening to it rather than just thinking "wow that's great playing". Reminded me of Pete Anderson.
    @dindude again, I think one of the things that I liked best was that it all sounded like a "whole" rather than, the sum of a series of effects, if that makes sense.

Do I get some sort of prize for citing the most people in one post?
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    My sound these days tends to be mainly humbuckers with some gain.

I shouldn’t really be posting this as it’s a private Soundcloud link - I’m working on friend’s project - this is the outro solo:

https://m.soundcloud.com/paul-willocks/is-this-richardss-solo-the-final-take-14-080918/s-vDNeC
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    gordiji said:
    Crystal cleans here,

Cool, enjoyed that!  I guess that’s a Tele?
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797

I shouldn’t really be posting this as it’s a private Soundcloud link - I’m working on friend’s project - this is the outro solo:

https://m.soundcloud.com/paul-willocks/is-this-richardss-solo-the-final-take-14-080918/s-vDNeC
    Very nice Richard, you play with a lot of patience it seems to me. Sounds quite Gilmour.
    Thank you thebreeze, Tele it is ! Is your name reference to the jj cale classic .
    History is junk, your prize is a thank you !
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited October 2018

@richardhomer ;Nice bends there, very restrained. I was waiting for the fast stuff but guess it didn’t fit the song. 
    Maybe I would have liked to have heard a change of pickup midway, a trebly change al la Gary Moore. 
    Sounds like a fair amount of delay also - 3 repeats ?

Anyway, I enjoyed that - thanks  3
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    This is a lead sound I use quite a lot. Just me improvising over a looper. Amp - Blackstar Fly 3. Guitar - Yamaha PAC 112J.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-793326269/snow-bound
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534

That sounds ace! Sweet tone and lovely phrasing - very gilmour-ish in places.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Joking aside and answering properly, low gain mid hump dirt into a clean loud old fender with deep analogue delay, without the repeats being obvious, is my goal.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Joking aside and answering properly, low gain mid hump dirt into a clean loud old fender with deep analogue delay, without the repeats being obvious, is my goal.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited October 2018
    fendergibson said:Nice bends there, very restrained. I was waiting for the fast stuff but guess it didn’t fit the song. 
    Maybe I would have liked to have heard a change of pickup midway, a trebly change al la Gary Moore. 
    Sounds like a fair amount of delay also - 3 repeats ?

Anyway, I enjoyed that - thanks  3
    You’ll be waiting a long time for ‘the fast stuff’ - I can’t play fast!

The delays were added on mix-down - the guitar is just straight into the amp at ‘stage’ level in a studio.

@dindude - thank you. I did five takes - what you hear is an edit of them - though it’s mainly from the first two.
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited October 2018
    thebreeze said:
    gordiji said:
    Crystal cleans here,

Cool, enjoyed that!  I guess that’s a Tele?
    @gordiji ;Quality ! Great country picking and right up my street - well done Sir