Belt Sander Special Refin......’Tis done VNGD

What's Hot

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    tone1 said:
    @Henrytwang  I still haven’t done anything about it.....yet :)
    I ought to say that I recently acquired one of those something or other anniversary model classic vibe Aztec Gold Stratocasters and it looks great. The added bonus is that after a good setup it plays and sounds as good as it looks.
    I’d love to see some pics...I love my recently acquired Gold top Les Paul and I’m thinking the Strat would be nice in Lighting Checked/Relic Gold.... but, like others here I’m not sure of a Strat in Gibson colours... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:
    tone1 said:
    @Henrytwang  I still haven’t done anything about it.....yet :)
    I ought to say that I recently acquired one of those something or other anniversary model classic vibe Aztec Gold Stratocasters and it looks great. The added bonus is that after a good setup it plays and sounds as good as it looks.
    I’d love to see some pics...I love my recently acquired Gold top Les Paul and I’m thinking the Strat would be nice in Lighting Checked/Relic Gold.... but, like others here I’m not sure of a Strat in Gibson colours... :)
    Pictures here are such a hassle I just can’t get to grips with all that hosting crap. On other guitar sites all I have to do is Just upload pictures directly from Microsoft pictures.
    I was only thinking of my refin this morning...I use Imgur for pics usually but I’m a bit rubbish at anything computer based, so wouldn’t be much help with pics...We are blessed with our fair share of computery boffins on here who may be able to assist  :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    poopot said:
    Lake placid blue...

This is a thing of beauty !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    After seeing the gorgeous ‘63 Sunburst Strat in Classifieds, I think I’m still a sucker for a lightly relic Sunburst finish....... :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Inca Silver or Shoreline Gold.

With the absolute minimum amount of relic'ing, if any at all - preferably just checking/ageing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

With the absolute minimum amount of relic'ing, if any at all - preferably just checking/ageing.
    That’s my preference too, just a light bit of Checking /ageing maybe the odd ding 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader
    Shoreline gold and light ageing is the way to go imo, like this

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Right.... I’m down to either Gold or Sunburst.....that’s good going for me from August... B)
    Shoreline gold and light ageing is the way to go imo, like this

That’s Perfect  :)
    edited December 2018
    Hi all
    Well I’ve finally plucked up the courage and I’m going to have the The Belt Sander refinished by Rich @lamf68 .....it’s going to be relic Gold....Many thanks to everyone who had offered their services and thoughts.... in going to miss the LOL’s and ridicule every time I post a picture of the Belt Sander Special but it’s time.... it needs to happen 
  • ICBM said:

At the risk of giving @ICBM yet more wisdoms, I'd go Inca too. It's an underrated Fender colour, looks brilliant with rosewood fretboards and would compliment the gold top perfectly.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited December 2018
    It’s taken me 5 months to make a decision.....as Shed Seven or Henry Kelly would say I’m Going for Gold 
    francer said:
    tone1 said:

.....My favourite Strat finish is Olympic white Relic with tortoise Pickguard .....
    This has to count for something. 

You’d also have the option of anodized gold guard if you fancied a change, both great looks IMO.
    @francer ;

Yes you’re absolutely right.... I’ve completely changed my mind again (Sorry Rich) Olympic White relic with Tortoiseshell is my Favourite Strat combination.... so why not go for that if I’m having it done anyway? 
    Bit like this... minus the bare patch... I want to avoid repeating the Belt Sander look again 
    :) 

https://i.imgur.com/r4kjhJl.png
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited December 2018
    My personal preference would be Lake Placid Blue or Seafoam Green, but there are some great guitars & suggestions on here.

I've seen the belt sander special on here a few times since I started posting regularly: what's the story with it, did you buy it like that?

(Also, 'corned beef pickguard'? Is that tortoiseshell?)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

edited December 2018
    Ah yes, the Belt Sander Special.... Bought from this very parish....it’s an Angry Angus Strat Number 5 serial number with Fender shape headstock before they had to change the shape. I won a set of Oil City Masterwound Blues pickups that replaced the Lollar Blackface or Blondes (can’t remember). The neck is slight v at the nut, going to more rounded towards the 12th. Original retailed for £1799...Angry Angus no longer exist but made a Telecaster (Testy) and I think the Strat was called a Surly (I think) 
    The owners of the company were Scottish Living in the states, making Whiskey barrels when they turned their hand to guitar building. 
    Its a fantastic guitar but nobody wanted it because of the awful finish......and yes, corned beef is the Tortoiseshell guard

something like this..... Without the bare patch (again)

https://i.imgur.com/r4kjhJl.png
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited January 2019
    Did it come from Angry Angus with that bare patch then?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

The bad Belt Sander patch has ‘developed’ over time. It was almost like a round hole in the finish right through to the bare wood....I definitely didn’t start it thinking it looked good :)
    edited January 2019
  • WAIT!!

Why not just spray your favourite colour directly over the sunburst!?!? Fender used to do it back in the old days when they needed to refin a badly sprayed body in another colour. I think it would look cool plus less work involved too!! Some light sanding for the paint to have a template & then off you go.....