Audio interface/hardware amp modeller thing?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• From my experience, I can say that the DIgitech GSP1101 will do this for you with not too shabby modelling, as will the Boss GT-1000 and the Axe-FX II.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5614
    From my experience, I can say that the DIgitech GSP1101 will do this for you with not too shabby modelling, as will the Boss GT-1000 and the Axe-FX II.  

AFAIK the GSP1101 is now discontinued, I can't find anywhere that has stock in any case and used prices are anything between £150 and £300, going by what's sold on eBay recently - that's another good chunk of cash towards the Helix.

The Boss GT-1000 is whoa?? How much?  I'm sure it'll do a grand job but it's a good chunk of the price of a Helix (which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment).  I'm also not that keen on the form factor for use as an audio interface and would much rather a rack mountable unit.  TBH even if I was gigging I'd still probably want a rack unit.

The Axe FX II, well, yeah, as I said before I don't really have the money and I couldn't really justify the price if I did.

I can buy an ex-Demo Helix with full guarantee for £900 so I'll probably bide my time for a few months and pull the trigger at the right time - maybe prices will have fallen a bit by then, who knows?

Thanks for the input though, it's all appreciated.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited August 2018
    octatonic said:
    IMHO it is better to split functionality.

The Axe FX II is an amazing modeller but sucks as an interface.
    I've never seen a modeller work as an audio interface without a severe degree of compromise.
    Sorry for the slight hijack/bump, but I'm wondering what these severe compromises are?

I'm looking at what the Helix/Kemper can do, and what I'd gain by wiring everything up to an interface, and so far all I have is:
    • Ease of use from having a singular input for my PC to manage.
    • Can monitor sound from all inputs easily (although this should still be doable on any modeller, no?)
    • Easy level balancing.
    I'd love to know what I'm missing, as I'm looking to build a new home recording setup, & I'm really undecided on whether or not I should be buying an AI when my guitar/bass can just be plugged into a modeller, and a keyboard just goes in via USB anyway...
  • Tenebrous said:
    octatonic said:
    IMHO it is better to split functionality.

The Axe FX II is an amazing modeller but sucks as an interface.
    I've never seen a modeller work as an audio interface without a severe degree of compromise.
    Sorry for the slight hijack/bump, but I'm wondering what these severe compromises are?

I'm looking at what the Helix/Kemper can do, and what I'd gain by wiring everything up to an interface, and so far all I have is:
    • Ease of use from having a singular input for my PC to manage.
    • Can monitor sound from all inputs easily (although this should still be doable on any modeller, no?)
    • Easy level balancing.
    I'd love to know what I'm missing, as I'm looking to build a new home recording setup, & I'm really undecided on whether or not I should be buying an AI when my guitar/bass can just be plugged into a modeller, and a keyboard just goes in via USB anyway...
    I've got a GT-100 MFX that can also be an audio interface over USB and will support two stereo feeds from the one guitar signal (one is the feed with all the effects and the other is raw guitar for capture and reuse later in a reamping sort of way). It works, but it's very hard to work with - regarding workflow and the constant resetting of recording and monitoring gain levels that you need to dive into the system parameters to change. You're always plugging in and unplugging cables (unless you always leave the unit plugged into your computer, headphones and monitors). 

I've also got a budget PreSonus iTwo audio interface and use that. The iTwo is always connected to the computer via one USB port. The monitors and headphones are always connected to the iTwo and volumes and gain levels are easily and quickly controlled with knobs on the front. The keyboard is connected to the iTwo using a MIDI cable rather than tying up a second USB port. 

The iTwo also supports connecting mics that use XLR connectors and will supply them with phantom power. The GT-100 won't do that. 

If I'd only had the GT-100, I think I'd find it just too hard to do any recording. It has most of the features of an audio interface, but they're just not user friendly enough for me. If nothing else, I can keep the GT on my board all the time and  only connect it to the recording setup when I'm tracking guitar parts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That makes a lot of sense. Cheers for the breakdown.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The new HX stomp looks ideal for this if you can wait til November 
  • I'm using my Katana into my PC via USB, I guess that's basically the GT-100 in effect... for some reason though none of the PC sounds are coming out through it, so I've got the sound out of my PC going through a THR5... it's not elegant, but it works for now. Not noticed any latency so far either
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I'm using my Katana into my PC via USB, I guess that's basically the GT-100 in effect... for some reason though none of the PC sounds are coming out through it, so I've got the sound out of my PC going through a THR5... it's not elegant, but it works for now. Not noticed any latency so far either
    The THR is connected by USB as well, I should have said
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)