Joe B on tour

What's Hot
miight be a bit of a marmite subject, but last night at Plymouth he delivered a set of just over 2 hours, nonstop, with great showmanship & a great band. To be honest I'm not a great fan of a lot of his recorded stuff but as live performer he was a class act. Oh nearly forgot, there was also just over 2 hours of great guitar playing, certainly in my opinion.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Seen him a few times and never been disappointed.  He works bloody hard on stage and the sound is always brilliant.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    I saw him a few years ago in Belfast and he was great.  Wouldn’t go to see him now; at £100+ per ticket it’s silly money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Hopefully one of the British guitar magazines can rope him in for an interview or maybe a gear feature while he’s over here...
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited October 2018
    Shame the ticket prices are high although that's an industry issue not a Joe issue! He's an amazing guitarist live and I like the guy from what I've seen on his YT stuff. Proper guitar geek who's worked very hard to get there and indulge in his craft and hobby. Don't get the hate either of him or John Mayer, jealousy most likely.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Credit where credit is due he is a hard worker - Constantly on the road and constantly recording - Very much old school with regards to his work ethics - He must enjoy it so fair play to him
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    The new LP is a belter too, well I think so...........
  • The new LP is a belter too, well I think so...........
    Is that Redemption? Not heard that yet. Sloe Gin and Blues of Desperation get fairly regular airtime here, and I like the Black Country Communion stuff too. My favourite thing about Joe Bonamassa though is that when he did his show on Planet Rock he sounded exactly like Kermit the Frog when he spoke :D
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2330
    All credit to him, he's served everybody well, but on the other hand he now knows he's stuck by his own admission playing too many notes night after night because that's all his fans want to see. Poor bloke tried to do something different the other month in the US with some blues/country tinged rock and his audience started walking out of the gigs and he had to scrap the set and revert back to the same old. 
    My gig money this month will be going to Marcus King.....£20 to see a better vocalist, songwriter and probably equally good guitarist play in a small club. Criminal really. Just  shame he doesn't have Joe's dynamic backing band. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    I can't for the life of me understand why JB hasn't had a signature guitar yet.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm not really into his studio albums but I'd love to see him live. I don't pay big money for gigs though so unlikely to happen
  • Hattigol said:
    I can't for the life of me understand why JB hasn't had a signature guitar yet this week...
    Fixed that for you. :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited October 2018
    JB fans might enjoy this interview with him, hosted by Steve Jones on his 'Jonsey's jukebox' radio show in Los Angeles. I laughed at the bit when JB talks about merchandising, saying he is 'the Crusty the Clown of the blues'.

(Not having a go at him, he is just very self-depreciating and he comes across as been a very likeable bloke.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited October 2018
    Saw him in Brighton on his last tour, expensive but well worth it, great show in all respects. I also happened to walk into GAK a few hours earlier when he was in there buying his '62 (I think) 335 which he then played that night. That was a good day out.

He's on this weeks Jools Holland.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    Saw him last night on Jools, thought he was really good and his band didn't miss a note ( as you would expect) .

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Saw him in Plymouth last week and was disappointed with the sound.  At several points in the show the backing singers and/or the Hammond organ were at least as loud as JB's guitar.  The mix improved as the night went on but it was never right. Special mention for the drummer - the stand out member of the band.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    AlexO said:
    Saw him last night on Jools, thought he was really good and his band didn't miss a note ( as you would expect) .

Saw him on the list, I always wait for the full length Sunday show though so looking forward to that.

Who was on bass out of interest?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Boromedic said:
    Shame the ticket prices are high although that's an industry issue not a Joe issue! He's an amazing guitarist live and I like the guy from what I've seen on his YT stuff. Proper guitar geek who's worked very hard to get there and indulge in his craft and hobby. Don't get the hate either of him or John Mayer, jealousy most likely.
    Not sure about JB other than maybe people find him a bit generic and safe.

With Mayer it might be because he seems to have a bit of a reputation as an arrogant "bro" type. Possibly also that he came from being successful in the cheesy love song world and people don't want to believe someone like that could be better at the electric guitar than people who were always hardcore. More likely the first I think.

Doesn't affect my love of Mayer though, I love him, he's one of my favourite players of all time. JoBo I do enjoy but not to the point of actually adding one of his albums to my collection or anything. Could understand people not being in to his music but definitely can't understand any hate for him as, like you say, he's a guitar geek like the people on these kind of forums, he's just also a very successful player.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    thegummy said:
    AlexO said:

Saw him on the list, I always wait for the full length Sunday show though so looking forward to that.

Who was on bass out of interest?
    Michael Rhodes.

He has possibly the most prolific rhythm section in existence today. Rhodes has played on over 800 hit records and Fig has played with just about everyone as Letterman's house drummer. Rock solid.