Are there any benefits to wedge monitors?

What's Hot
EggmanEggman Frets: 43
I don't know very much at all about this sort of thing. Does anyone actually prefer wedges to IEMs? Why/why not? We've only ever used wedges and I'm curious.
I personally like the 'live' sound on stage, but I don't know any different.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The main thing seems to be connecting with your audience, which it's harder with IEMs in unless you get mega expensive. I use monitors for my kids sessions as I often have more than one singer. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31453
    Despite our IEMs we still bring one to gigs. It's a useful tool, you never know when or where you'll need a bit of help in small, weird shaped rooms. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    The main thing seems to be connecting with your audience, which it's harder with IEMs in unless you get mega expensive. 
    Also, unless you have a limiter your IEM's you are risking having your eardrums blown by a careless monitor engineer.
    I prefer IEM's (with a limiter) when drumming (because I need to hear everything clearly and cue parts), but for guitar a wedge monitor is all I need.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    I prefer wedges - I think. I’ve never used IEMs - I hate playing through headphones anyway. In fact I don’t even like listening to music with them. I much prefer to hear sound in a space. 

Wedges are are also very good in small spaces with no raised stage - they make it obvious where the front of the band’s territory is so punters don’t encroach on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I prefer wedges - I think. I’ve never used IEMs - I hate playing through headphones anyway. In fact I don’t even like listening to music with them. I much prefer to hear sound in a space. 

Wedges are are also very good in small spaces with no raised stage - they make it obvious where the front of the band’s territory is so punters don’t encroach on it.
    We used to put wedges out for this very reason, it forms a barrier. They weren’t even turned on most of the time.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Wedges are far better for supporting rock star poses too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    edited October 2018
    I only use a wedge live now, miced up. No other cab. So I can put my foot on it, hear my guitar part, and have it mixed into the mix. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I used to gig with 2 bands that did the same song, but in different keys. So I taped index cards with the chords to the monitors.  Can't do that with in-ears!!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10392
    I've just got back from see'ing "A star is born" at the cinema and there's many a reference to Jacksons preference for wedge monitors over IEM's which have worsened his  loss of hearing ..... odd to see stuff like this in a mainstream film

Generally wedge monitors are a tool for fighting volume with more volume ..... if you do a lot of gigs IEM's are a better solution but ol skool wedge's are great if you can avoid feedback 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Gulliver said:
    I used to gig with 2 bands that did the same song, but in different keys. So I taped index cards with the chords to the monitors.  Can't do that with in-ears!!
    I was in a band that played one particular song in two different keys, at the same time! The bassist and rhythm guitarist played it in G; the keyboardist and I played it in D. It sounded fine. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    ICBM said:

We used to put wedges out for this very reason, it forms a barrier. They weren’t even turned on most of the time.
    Exactly this; in small venues often a struggle to get any useable volume out of wedges so they just become a barrier and somewhere to prop the set list up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10392
    viz said:
    Gulliver said:
    I was in a band that played one particular song in two different keys, at the same time! The bassist and rhythm guitarist played it in G; the keyboardist and I played it in D. It sounded fine. 
    Sweet Home :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I stick a mirror on my wedge, so I can check my hair between numbers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3581
    The hardware required to do a proper wedge mix can be significant, even with modern powered boxes the setup takes time and the mix will need to be adjusted for every stage/location because wedges just fill in what you can't hear direct. Lower stage volume really helps get a decent set of wedge mixes but then the problem for the front of house dude is the additional sound sources muddy the FOH sound quite a lot in mast sized venues.
    In theory the IEM mix can be set in a digital mixer and recalled from memory, so you pop the desk on a flight case at the side of the stage and put your ear buds in and off you go. It matters not if you are in the Albert hall or the Albert Arms the monitor mix is the same. In addition the FOH sound is now not as muddied and that clearer sound just feels nicer. Communication for the band is an issue and having an open mic on stage just feeding the IEM mix allows the band to talk to one another and hear the audience interaction.
    All that said there is just a real vibe to being on a stage where the backline/wedges and FOH spill all combine to send shivers down your spine. Sadly that is a rare experience for most of us but we can dream.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Danny1969 said:
    viz said:

Yes, I think we’ve all played that at some point. Someone inevitably says it’s in D, so you just ignore them and play it as normal ;).

...the only problem is that some of you think it ends on the D and some on the G, so round we go again!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Being nearly a foot taller than the other two in the front has been problematic - my monitor needs to be further away or I have to stand even closer to the noisy drummist :/  

Got my own vocal IEM (splitting the mic feed, and straight to my ear). No band mix, but I can hear some approximation  from onstage spill.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8677
    Danny1969 said:

Generally wedge monitors are a tool for fighting volume with more volume ..... 
    Now that we’ve got a digital desk, with individual IEM mixes, we’ve given up on wedge monitors. The only thing I miss is the ability to make my guitar feedback when I want it to.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Roland said:
    Danny1969 said:

Generally wedge monitors are a tool for fighting volume with more volume ..... 
    Now that we’ve got a digital desk, with individual IEM mixes, we’ve given up on wedge monitors. The only thing I miss is the ability to make my guitar feedback when I want it to.
    This exactly - We still use wedges currently, set up the monitor levels and it sounds great, set up the FOH and that sounds great, put them both on and it's feedback city!  Moving to IEM's
    Danny1969 said:
    viz said:
    Gulliver said:

:) you got it :)
    ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:
    viz said:

Yes, I think we’ve all played that at some point. It’s in D.
    Corrected