[very unofficial] Quad warm-up and studio recce session (Herts)

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    mrkb said:
    I have been known to drum in the past.. ahem. If there’s something simple then I might just be able to manage it
    You are a dark horse! Are you bringing the harmonicas as well ;).  I can just about drum Mardy bum, so should be ok for that, but would like to guitar on hey joe and Brown sugar, so it’d be great if you could add beatz to those. See you tomorrow!
    I can bring harmonicas if you want to go for a free form blues jam at some point. In fact, I could drum or bass in a blues jam as well as slap some harmonica on as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:
    I'm sure we'll muddle through.  I'm happy to do some simple bass stuff as long as no-one wants "as recorded" while @Bridgehouse strokes the skins if need be. It might be shit, but it'll be something :)  (My bass, not Mark's drumming)
    If I’m drumming it’ll be shit
    Thinking about it, building up a freeform Blues Jam might be a good exercise for everyone - and indeed a few other styles. If you’ve not done it before then it’s great experience and really makes you think about playing, song structure and how things fit together. 

Happy to do this if others are up for it. It doesn’t matter if it goes a bit wonky - that’s part of the fun tbh!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Sounds like a good idea - we'll pretty soon run out of songs we all know - think theres only 6 or so songs ready to practice for Quad, so learning how to jam would be good for me.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Sounds like a good idea - we'll pretty soon run out of songs we all know - think theres only 6 or so songs ready to practice for Quad, so learning how to jam would be good for me.
    Ok, well that’s pretty easy to start doing
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    edited October 2018
    Sounds good.

@munckee the studio is about a 10/15 minute walk from the centre of town. There's a selection of foodie boozers and chain restaurants, as well as a chippy, chicken place, and a couple of kebab/burger shops.

Closest place that's a bit different is Galos. No parking, so walking from the studio: GEt back to main road, turn right and walk past Esso. Cross at pedestrian lights and walk down the short link road between the roundabouts then turn right and walk down North Road/St Andrew Street (past building works, head for spire). Just keep going until you get to a three-way junction with traffic lights. This is the edge of town proper, and Galos is opposite you. If you don't fancy it, just keep walking straight on.

That route also takes you past The Old Cross Tavern, which is the best boozer in town,  but doesn't do food (apart from trad pork pie).

Right, got a proper keyboard now.

The only major fast food place is a McDonald's which is out at the A10 on the other side of town.

In the middle of town there's stuff like Ask, Pizza Express, Café Rouge (I think), a bunch of Indians, Italians and the odd Chinese. There's a Japanese place which is great in a totally mental way, but it's not quick service.  Plus hoards of cafes and pubs-with-food from the awful (Wetherspoons) to the actually quite good.

If people want to do food beforehand I could get down early with Mrs Snags (or I'll be in the shit!) and we could probably blag our way into one of the chain restaurants.  Hertford is mostly restaurants and hairdressers these days, so if it's nice weather it will probably be busy.  Be worth aiming to be at the studio for no later than 12:30 though, to allow comfortable walking and eating time?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Looking at the weather forecast missus snags may not thank you for walking!  I should be in Hertford around 12ish. Will text you my number and happy to meet and eat    
    I’ll be there 1 ish probly. I will no doubt need caffeine. 
    @munckee cool, we'll sort something out.  Mrs Snags won't melt ;)

@bridgehouse if you're a very good boy we might be able to bring something back (or summon you for a post meal coffee)
    I’ll head straight to the studio for about 1.30 - will grab service station gourmet food on the way down.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I’m sure I can stock up - but I’m a latte guy really ;)
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    it's right now!

rock on jammers.
    Thanks All for a good afternoon jamming.

Special thanks to @snags for organising (and bassing and singing) and @bridgehouse for multi-instrumentalism (Bass, Drum’s and harmonicas!!) and @munckee for bass duties.

It was a good mix of proper songs and jamming. I’m off to learn some more drum fills and endings!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    Thanks All for a good afternoon jamming.

Special thanks to @snags for organising (and bassing and singing) and @bridgehouse for multi-instrumentalism (Bass, Drum’s and harmonicas!!) and @munckee for bass duties.

It was a good mix of proper songs and jamming. I’m off to learn some more drum fills and endings!!
    Was nice got the harmonicas out - need to do some practise and pick some songs that need harmonica and I reckon it will be a load of fun!
    Thanks chaps for rocking up. Good to meet a few new faces, and very indebted to @Bridgehouse and @mrkb ; for filling the drum stool with grace and style. Definitely more harmonica! 
    Snags said:
    Thanks chaps for rocking up. Good to meet a few new faces, and very indebted to @Bridgehouse and @mrkb ; for filling the drum stool with grace and style. Definitely more harmonica! 
    If I promise to play more harmonica does it mean I can do less drumming?  (please?!) Having your first live drum effort after 6 years as Wanted Dead or Alive was somewhat of a rebaptism of fire ;)

Tho Hey Joe was fun to drum..

Had a great time yesterday at Herts spent 4 hours pretty much playing solid.  Thanks to @snags for organising, sorry to his wife who had to walk home in the rain!  A few pictures taken on my rubbish phone so please be assured that everyone is much better looking, younger and slimmer in person!

https://i.imgur.com/fGQtnyX.jpg

https://imgur.com/d2gSdOB

https://i.imgur.com/b4T9H8V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/P1UbxNz.jpg

Snags is the bearded chap playing bass, @bridgehouse is drumming, @guitartango is sporting the gold top, @tadodger is holding my custom shop strat and @mrkb has the swanky red shoes on.

• Pete @Snags thanks for organizing the Jam, I really enjoyed playing with your guys. I was in two minds about going as I have not played in a group for a while. 

Things I have learnt from the "Herts" Jam

1. Bring two guitars , as the Gibson is bloody heavy :)
    2. You only need to bring a few pedals (my amp just needed a boost)
    3. Try to learn a few songs and keep your timing (the Blues Jam was great)
    4. Hey Joe  has four bars of E (thanks Mark @mrkb ;)
    5. Have fun.... i did 
    6. It's easy to get lost (even with three chords)
    'I would like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we've passed the audition.'

“Ken sent me.”
    Pete @Snags thanks for organizing the Jam, I really enjoyed playing with your guys. I was in two minds about going as I have not played in a group for a while. 

Things I have learnt from the "Herts" Jam

1. Bring two guitars , as the Gibson is bloody heavy :)
    2. You only need to bring a few pedals (my amp just needed a boost)
    3. Try to learn a few songs and keep your timing (the Blues Jam was great)
    4. Hey Joe  has four bars of E (thanks Mark @mrkb ;)
    5. Have fun.... i did 
    6. It's easy to get lost (even with three chords)
    'I would like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we've passed the audition.'

You and snags must have backs like hod carriers!