Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Helix artist tones.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Some awesome suggestions here. Will need to do some homework for a bunch but looking forward to this. Can't promise I'll get them all done but will do what I can. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Does the helix have an Xotic EP boost SP comp model or equivalent? 
    It does indeed. Both of them. I actually prefer them both to the originals. Which I have. 
    Nice! so I could probably nail a Doug Martsch/Built To Spill tone 2 x EP Boosters at different gain stages, SP comp, DMM, maybe a Rat all going through a 64’ Bassman Head & Cab
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Does the helix have an Xotic EP boost SP comp model or equivalent? 
    It does indeed. Both of them. I actually prefer them both to the originals. Which I have. 
    Nice! so I could probably nail a Doug Martsch/Built To Spill tone 2 x EP Boosters at different gain stages, SP comp, DMM, maybe a Rat all going through a 64’ Bassman Head & Cab
    You can indeed. I'm guessing thats you? ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    edited October 2018
    I posted this in the helix thread, but realise I got that wrong!

if you could have a bash at this patch,already on helix but not the stomp, I would be really greatful, I really don't know which to go for, I think a full helix is a bit much, but either an 'lt' or stomp would be ideal....

At at the start of the vid some effects are shown I think, ducked delay etc

thanks!

.......just thought, if it is'nt the done thing to copy someone's patch then please delete, in reality I will probably buy some of his patches anyway, supporting his effort is really important I think.
  • John McGeoch - Magazine, etc flange-tastic

Uli Jon Roth - Scorpions Tokyo tapes tones - fuzzface +Roland phase II + Marshall Major /super tremolo at brain melting volume, type thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Holdsworth UD delay patches and if you can get them the lead sounds from the Ud stomps
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1562
    Ty Tabor
    Kim Thayil

Please :-)
  • DrJazzTap said:
    Holdsworth UD delay patches and if you can get them the lead sounds from the Ud stomps
    Yes, these please ( they’re on the old yamaha magic stomp so I can’t see why it couldn’t be possible ). Also , the lead 1 and lead 2 amps from the Yamaha DG amps to get his lead sound 
  • 80s / 90s LA Studio tri chorused clean sound ala Landau / Luke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Won't playing technique and guitar choice play a big part in all this?

Just looking at the names requested, some of these guys are technical monsters. 

Its like those guys that played through Jimi henrixs setup and found it totally unusable. The sounds comes from more than the gear.

I'll get back in my box now
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited October 2018
    Won't playing technique and guitar choice play a big part in all this?

Just looking at the names requested, some of these guys are technical monsters. 

Its like those guys that played through Jimi henrixs setup and found it totally unusable. The sounds comes from more than the gear.

I'll get back in my box now
    Yep I agree, the request for Nile Rodgers tone baffles me. Any bog standard clean tone will do the job. The uniqueness of Nile’s tone is the way he strikes the guitar strings with the pick. 
  • I somewhat agree that Nile has a pretty standard Strat rhythm tone, although I probably needed to hear him sound check to fully appreciate how true that is.  The weird thing is how playing that sounds generic on its own turns numinous in a band mix.  I've heard any number of people cover his stuff, some of them very good players in very good bands, and they never seem to get very close.  I can understand why people think his tone must be sprinkled with magic dust, even if it's not.

But one of the good things about an "artist tone" selection, if well done, is it will highlight where the gear stops and the artist starts.  If you want to sound like Joe Guitarhero and someone has created a patch that allows a good player to do just that, when you get that patch and sound nothing like him you'll know it's not about getting a different dirt pedal or using different settings, you need work on your technique.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Van Halen, VH1, including Echoplex before the amp sound.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Robin Trower's Bridge of sighs tone .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Jalapeno said:

The bloke who played guitar in Miles Davis' band who sounded a bit like Hendrix

Mike Stern ? That'd be different.
    Mike shows you how to get that tone with three cheap Boss pedals on YouTube .. basically a distortion, chorus and delay. However, he uses an old Yamaha XPS90 on a pitch/harmoniser patch and that gives his tone the spacious airy quality.

Apparently it's a unique sound that can't quite be replicated .. these old units are much sought after. @rossyamaha perhaps Line 6 should model one as they are now owned by Yamaha. The Yamaha reverbs and delays from this period were unique as well. Holdsworth used a UD Stomp .. I guess modelling one of these (they had 8 discrete delay lines) could hammer the DSP but would be great .. amazing units.

If you want to buy some decent tones check out Glenn DeLaune ...

• May get a few lols but James Dean Bradfield/Generation Terrorists or Holy Bible era tones 
    Sod it! Gold Against The Soul also... love the Despair To Where lead tone
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    @rossyamaha, see if you can nail Alex Lifeson's tones on Moving Pictures, please?  I think that has to be one of the best guitar tones ever recorded.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    John McGeoch - Magazine, etc flange-tastic
    And his tone in Arabian Knights which covers a lot of post-punk territory.