R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    lp59boy said:

just because the guitars are/ were on a deal doesn’t mean the are worth 2nd hand price from the £2500, only a few months ago before all this someone would of happily paid £2700-3k for a 5.6.7 year old R8 so WHEN these deals end they will be worth more.

Not so, then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    edited October 2018
    hyperben said:
    A 2014 R8 for £1999 is a steal though. Still has hot hide glue, custom buckers etc. I’d take that for the £500 saving over the 2017s. There’s a 2012 in the classifieds for £2500. This seems really expensive now.
    I do fully agree with you, the tone-plastic joke was aimed at the only difference left between them spec-wise. I’d have been all over that if I didn’t already have my r8. I do like the fact I now own from new one that is basically perfect for me. That’s worth the £500 on top for me.

Dealer or not tho, a used one at 80% of new prices is a tough sell surely.

For me the £2k figure makes sense as absolute tops for one of the new ones recycled, particularly in a non-dealer sale. A 2014 like the one at coda would have to be what, ~17-1800 allowing for the dealer premium. If a few more appear in dealers at the £2k mark then the used market us properly depressed for a while imho.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Do you think it will have a corresponding knock on effect on the used value of “lesser” Les Paul models ? 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Fifty9 said:
    hyperben said:
    A 2014 R8 for £1999 is a steal though. Still has hot hide glue, custom buckers etc. I’d take that for the £500 saving over the 2017s. There’s a 2012 in the classifieds for £2500. This seems really expensive now.
    I do fully agree with you, the tone-plastic joke was aimed at the only difference left between them spec-wise. I’d have been all over that if I didn’t already have my r8. I do like the fact I now own from new one that is basically perfect for me. That’s worth the £500 on top for me.

Dealer or not tho, a used one at 80% of new prices is a tough sell surely.

For me the £2k figure makes sense as absolute tops for one of the new ones recycled, particularly in a non-dealer sale. A 2014 like the one at coda would have to be what, ~17-1800 allowing for the dealer premium. If a few more appear in dealers at the £2k mark then the used market us properly depressed for a while imho.
    Tough sell?
    No. It's gone.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • terada said:
    So who bought it?
    It was advised on their FB page before it went live. That’s where I saw it first 
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    Now all the £2499 ones are pretty much gone I think prices will very slowly recover. The demand is bound to be less for a second hand R8 but it will increase. Those desperate to sell may take less though stealing some of the LP Standard/Traditional market. So this might affect normal USA Gibson prices a bit. £100-200 I think perhaps. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    DrBob said:
    Do you think it will have a corresponding knock on effect on the used value of “lesser” Les Paul models ? 
    Robert Peston is predicting a full-scale crash in the Les Paul market. He estimates prices will drop by about 30-40% from their peak. He’s speculating that it may well prompt an interest rate cut - and possibly measures in the budget to alleviate the crisis....
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    If I was buying then there is no way I would pay more than £2000 for a used R8 now, or £2800 for an R9 

If I was selling my R8 I would of course try to get as close to the £2499 I paid though!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    edited October 2018
    Whitecat said:
    Coda just took in a used R8 from 2014 and it’s a snip at £2k. Very nice example from what you can see so far!

https://www.coda-music.com/gibson-custom-les-paul-1958-standard-vos-2014-secondhand.html
    Interesting that dealers seem to be pricing second hand ones in light of the recent deals whereas private sellers aren’t.

Interesting how people seem to think that when something comes up at a good price (and attracts a lot of attention, as is the case with the above mentioned R8).. and gets snapped up.. that everything in a remotely similar category should be priced to match. Irrespective of any dissimilarities, or difference in circumstance.

It's me that's got the 2012 R8 in the classifieds atm. And i can't see me not trying to get back what it owes me, based on a recent wave of newer R8's that hit the market for a brief time. The reason they caused such a stir is because they were being sold at a considerably low price for a new one.. which is also why they got snapped up. 

The above example: Gives off a slight whiff of being sold at two grand.. has internet guitar folk twitching before it even goes on sale.. gets snapped up. 

Fair play to anyone who is in the right place. at the right time.. and gets a good deal. 

Please also consider people who are not in a rush.. isn't a dealer who has guitars to get off the forecourt by a certain date to hit targets.. and who would like a fair price for their beloved instruments.       
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There was one sold on Facebook by a bedroom dealer for £1,700 as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    edited October 2018
    I'd consider a trade for the right one against my CS '54 60th Anniversary Strat, btw.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    There was one sold on Facebook by a bedroom dealer for £1,700 as well.
    Peston’s clearly right - the crash has started....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
     Might have needed the money for smack.. who knows. And that one obviously gathered some attention as an anomaly.. because you know about it. Can’t comment on the condition.. background of the instrument.. nor circumstance.. and neither can you.

Suppose that was an attempt to back up your argument?
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackieB33 said:
     Might have needed the money for smack.. who knows. And that one obviously gathered some attention as an anomaly.. because you know about it. Can’t comment on the condition.. background of the instrument.. nor circumstance.. and neither can you.

Definitely not the kind of guy who takes smack. He just thought that was a fair price for it. I can comment on the condition because it was listed with full details and pictures etc. It wasn’t mint - hence why it was £1.7k rather than say £2k. Still, nowhere near £2.5k is it? 

Was that a better attempt for you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    JackieB33 said:

Definitely not the kind of guy who takes smack. He just thought that was a fair price for it. I can comment on the condition because it was listed with full details and pictures etc. It wasn’t mint - hence why it was £1.7k rather than say £2k. Still, nowhere near £2.5k is it? 

That was brilliant mate yeah. You did really well there. 

Obviously you know this guy’s back-story from looking at his pictures on Facebook. Which is weird.. being as he’d posted pics of a guitar he was looking to sell. 

Do you look at a lot of men on Facebook? 

Also.. did you buy it?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    edited October 2018
    JackieB33 said:

£2k has probably been about right recently in a private sale.  I think I said it above, but I got £2500 on a 2010 R8 in a shop commission sale at the beginning of the year.

For the next few months things might be a bit softer, but I expect it to return to those kind of prices eventually.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    edited October 2018
    Right...anyway

Buyers always determine the value of the market, not sellers. It doesn’t matter how much you have invested in something or how stubborn you want to be about how much you ask, it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It’s currently impossible to determine what the used market is like after the crash R8 sale we just had. However I’ve seen multiple for sale around the £2.5k mark that haven’t sold and have been listed a while. And those were all newer ones. A 2012 with a laminated fretboard and burst buckers is bound to go for less than a 2016/2017 with one piece fretboard and custom buckers of equivalent condition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    edited October 2018
    JackieB33 said:
    JackieB33 said:

Obviously you know this guy’s back-story from looking at his pictures on Facebook. Which is weird.. being as he’d posted pics of a guitar he was looking to sell. 

Also.. did you buy it?

I know his ‘backstory’ as you put it because I’ve met him. He doesn’t ever sell in desperation. He has some amps that have been for sale for years because he won’t move on the price. He actually did a follow up post on Facebook to give his reasons for selling at that price because he got some flak because the guy who bought it subsequently listed it for a trade at a substantially higher price. Is that enough detail for you or do you want to continue making unsubstantiated assumptions?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    JackieB33 said:
    JackieB33 said:

Also.. did you buy it?

I know his ‘backstory’ as you put it because I’ve met him. He doesn’t ever sell in desperation. He has some amps that have been for sale for years because he won’t move on the price. He actually did a follow up post on Facebook to give his reasons for selling at that price because he got some flak because the guy who bought it subsequently listed it for a trade at a substantially higher price. Is that enough detail for you or do you want to continue making unsubstantiated assumptions?
    So now that we’ve got to the bottom of your unsubstantiated argument.. backed by one example.. of ‘a chap’ who sold an R8 once.. for £1700

Answer my question.. did you buy it?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackieB33 said:
    JackieB33 said:
    JackieB33 said:

Also.. did you buy it?

So now that we’ve got to the bottom of your unsubstantiated argument.. backed by one example.. of ‘a chap’ who sold an R8 once.. for £1700

Answer my question.. did you buy it?

Two examples - there was one that sold at Coda for £2k as well. Look I’m not even sure what we’re arguing about here. All I’m saying is that dealers, based on those two examples at least, are pricing secondhand R8s with reference to the new ones at £2.5k whereas private sellers don’t seem to be. That is the impression I get - it’s my opinion, nothing more.

I suspect your attitude stems from the fact that you’re trying to sell a secondhand R8 at the moment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom