Desirable Acoustic Guitars

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
Which models of acoustic guitar are the classic designs?

The Martin D28 seems to be the recurring dreadnought design and the Gibson J45 is the only other one I have really heard of before. What other classic models are out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Martin OM & Lowden O
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286
    Martin OM & Lowden O
    Wis. 

Lowden O, it’s a big beast, but my god they sound good. They are very different to the American offerings and their clones as well. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    edited October 2018
    CHRISB50 said:
    Martin OM & Lowden O
    Wis. 

Lowden O, it’s a big beast, but my god they sound good. They are very different to the American offerings and their clones as well. 
    How would you describe the difference?

I've had a look down my LGS and was very impressed by the Taylor's. Very nice, though don't seem to command the awe of Martin.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286
    Elwood said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Martin OM & Lowden O
    Wis. 

I've had a look down my LGS and was very impressed by the Taylor's. Very nice, though don't seem to command the awe of Martin.
    More overtones and a lot going on with harmonics, with the Celtic style. 

The O shape also lends itself well to a pretty amazing natural reverb and airiness. 

US style tend to have more a fundamental tone, with a lot more focus. What you pick is what you hear. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Gibson SJ 200, and of course the...

Stratacoustic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    Gibson L and Martin 00 series. Similar sizes but believe the lower bouts are slightly different. 
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    pre-war martins with the forward bracing. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    CHRISB50 said:
    Elwood said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Martin OM & Lowden O
    Wis. 

More overtones and a lot going on with harmonics, with the Celtic style. 

The O shape also lends itself well to a pretty amazing natural reverb and airiness. 

US style tend to have more a fundamental tone, with a lot more focus. What you pick is what you hear. 
    Chris - look at how they've been used should give u an idea.
    I have had one for 30 yrs and yes they lend themselves to a different feel / approach .
    They have the timbre of older European plucked string  instrument  - Hammer dulcimer,Zither, Wire Harp etc - in a guitar playing package (ergonomics).
    When I got mine I spent a good few yrs re-defining my playing and what I wanted to say (musically).
    The big 'O' isn't for many but is up there with the best i what it has to offer.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    edited October 2018
    I'd put some old Guilds up there with the best. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    p90fool said:
    I'd put some old Guilds up there with the best. 
    Which reminds me, I really need to list my guild f20 on here in the Classifieds..
  • Always Gassed after a Hermanos Conde Negra Media luna
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Guild Jumbos F50, JF65, esp the 12 strings, F412. F512
    Thanks guys, It's been useful suggestions.

I like the look of a Taylor, the necks and frets work for me more than Martin. The 814 and 414 both look good. I also like the idea of the 614. Though a nice D28 would still turn my head.

They come with a pretty heavy price tag but I can see the value in it. 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    If the idea of a high end acoustic appeals, why not approach one of the many superb UK builders? My preference would be Brook, but Turnstone are spectacular too...

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Kalimna said:
    If the idea of a high end acoustic appeals, why not approach one of the many superb UK builders? My preference would be Brook, but Turnstone are spectacular too...

Adam
    A few reasons:

I don't want to spend as much as a UK hand built bespoke guitar
    I want to try before I buy
    I always have an eye on residual value 
    I don't want to wait that long

The biggest issue is not knowing what the end product will be.
    :)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    All very good reasons :)
    If, however, you are ever in Central Scotland and fancy trying a Brook, you are more than welcome. After all, i owe you a debt, given it was your thread that put me onto Ant Ryder and the guitar he's building for me!

Cheers,
    Adam
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    If you're looking for a really nice guitar but don't mind too much about the brand, some of the Eastern European makes are great. I was a bit uneasy until trying one, but Furch are well worth a look, and despite recent price increases still come in way cheaper than equivalent quality Taylor etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PS66PS66 Frets: 20
    edited October 2018

Lucky enough to own both an O23 and F32c Lowden..incredible sounds from them and in a different way!

http://i63.tinypic.com/snklys.jpg