2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    shugz said:
    Had a shocker (cue excuses)....

Never had much in the way of aches and pains running before. Until that one. About 10-12km in got excruciating back pain lower down and that was that. Limped over in a 2:44 time. Dint get me wrong, it was never going to be fast or pretty but thought maybe 2:10 or 2:20 half realistic. Ran 6.5km yesterday and still in trouble so might have to see doctors or someone in the know for advice.

To cap it off, I had to get in a van and drive to Southampton straight after the run....!

You'll be sorry you asked, best of luck with your endeavours. Don't worry too much getting out all the time, real life really does get in the way I more than know that.

I'm trying for 1500km for the year but I'm now not sure if I'll make it. Next year I'd planned to try and get quicker (possibly doing fewer miles but more geared to working on quicker times). 

Cheers
    Hugh
    This is the main thing that's concerning me about my Ironman training plan (which officially starts in Jan)...I need to juggle home life too. Hopefully it will all come good. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    I'm not being funny but what is Ironman training? Triathalons or something like that? Good luck there. If you can establish a training plan/ pattern then I think you'll be fine. Real world will no doubt sometimes catch up but I hope it goes well. 

I've decided to go the other way and not take any more on either more runs or anything formal. The race was such a downer for me in doing so badly I think it's going to take a while to get confidence back. 

Might try a 5k tomorrow and see how it goes,
    H

www.proudhoney.com

shugz said:
    I'm not being funny but what is Ironman training? Triathalons or something like that? Good luck there. If you can establish a training plan/ pattern then I think you'll be fine. Real world will no doubt sometimes catch up but I hope it goes well. 

I've decided to go the other way and not take any more on either more runs or anything formal. The race was such a downer for me in doing so badly I think it's going to take a while to get confidence back. 

Might try a 5k tomorrow and see how it goes,
    H
    In short, yes. I'm signed up to compete at Ironman Copenhagen next august. Which is a 2.4 mile open water swim, 112 mile bike and finishing with a full marathon. All within a 15 hour and 45 min cut off. 

So I have a 36 week training plan to contend with starting in January! In the mean time I'm just keeping up with my running as much as possible, to keep my fitness levels up. 

Having a bad race is always a horrible feeling, but take a step back and start over, sometimes that helps with building confidence back up. 
    Fabulous effort, even just for giving it a go. I'd need to factor in learning how to swim first..... :)

I'm sure you'll do fine, what an effort. 

Thanks 're my situation, I've never ever thought of myself a runner but had enjoyed the challenge at least giving it a go. It was a bit of a shock how sore I got. I must add, I have run 15k, 20k etc distances and tried to give the half the respect it was due. I wasn't thinking it'd be easy. Just a bit gutted it didn't go to plan. Good gigs bad gigs I suppose!

Give it hell for the Ironman, you'll smash it I'm sure.

H

www.proudhoney.com

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Off to do my final 100 miler of the year. Not been a great build up since I had knee issues that took me out of the last one in August. Worked through that issue and appears sorted. Then came down with lurgy/flu 2 weeks ago. Rested up and a couple of short runs this week to test out. 

Going to be a toughie but I feel recovered and ready to go. Fingers crossed. 

Will be 100 miler #8 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    edited October 2018
    I haven't ran for ages, about 3 years, did two 5k's on consecutive nights this week Weds and Thurs, also a 10 miler on the bike yesterday in the hills, Now I feel like my legs have been run over by a truck. Snapped my ACL 15 yrs ago, it haunts me with a little twinge now and again on a run, so going to take it slow.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Best of luck @mcsdan massive respect to you for doing that. I know a guy local to me that does similar runs and I see some of his exploits he posts up from time to time. Hard-core (meant with nothing but respect).

I've run 5k a day all week trying to sort myself out and I'm not quite there. Crossroads time; either comitt and do it right and maybe build back into longer runs or just dodder about on 5's so 17/18 stone days stay away.

Time will tell :)

Best to anyone getting a run on the go this weekend.

www.proudhoney.com

4 runs, 20 miles this week. Still (just) on track for my yearly goal of 500 miles. 

This week will hopefully get a fitness test done to work out my max HR so I can calculate my zones for my IM training plan. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited October 2018
    Getting up in the mornings is getting harder. I give myself a massive pat on the back, but I really didn't want to be out there this morning. Still, got 6.5 miles in.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Getting up in the mornings is getting harder. I give myself a massive pat on the back, but I really didn't want to be out there this morning. Still, got 6.5 miles in.
    you're not bloody wrong. Especially in the rain...I didn't get out this morning as I ran last night, but hoping to get out tonight. Not going to be able to do field laps for much longer as it'll become boggy as hell in the next few days/weeks. Not an issue for me, but means that the dog doesn't get as much freedom whilst I'm running :( 
    I find my alarm wakes me up, violently, and it's been that way for a couple of weeks, whereas usually I'd be up before it goes off. I am sleeping loads, so could have something niggling like a virus or "western valley flu" as the doctor used to call it - catarrh basically.
    I find my alarm wakes me up, violently, and it's been that way for a couple of weeks, whereas usually I'd be up before it goes off. I am sleeping loads, so could have something niggling like a virus or "western valley flu" as the doctor used to call it - catarrh basically.
    I *have* to get up and out Mon, Wed and Friday to walk the dog in the mornings, so that's a good excuse, but finding the motivation to run with her rather than wrap up in waterproofs and walk, is difficult for sure.

I'm also in a state of perma-tired due to training and managing a 10 month old! haha. 
    Final 100 mile run of the year done.  That’s 8 100 miles in 2 years. I’m a bit tired tbh.  Spent the last 10 hours of the race in torrential rain. Gladly had decent waterproofs so manage to stay dry and warm although everywhere was soaked and flooded especially next to the Thames. Time for a rest now.  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you have a watch that does heart rate it is worth keeping track of your resting heart rate. This can indicate if you are overtraining/not recovering enough but also if you are coming down with an illness I.e. resting heart rate is consistently higher than normal. 

mcsdan said:
    If you have a watch that does heart rate it is worth keeping track of your resting heart rate. This can indicate if you are overtraining/not recovering enough but also if you are coming down with an illness I.e. resting heart rate is consistently higher than normal. 

Yea, I keep an eye on mine. It’s consistently around 50-55 Bpm so I know if it’s more than that that I’m not right. 

I’m due to do a fitness test on myself on Wednesday morning to try and figure out my max HR so I can calculate my training zones for my training plan as the 220-age calculation is bobbins and not very accurate at all. 

I don't measure mine at the moment, I'm probably going to get a watch for Xmas though. It's 55 at work according to my phone, low enough for my malaise to be simple CBA. :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Just hit my 2018 distance goal target of 1 million meters (or 1000km)

Going to push on for my stretch goal of 1200km now :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited October 2018
    Did my usual 10k last night which I do once, twice per week (depending on cycling/kayaking opportunities) feels like I have broken my hip today its alright when I've been moving for a while, if i sit for a bit its agony getting up.

(I realise the answer is not to sit down : )
    Just hit my 2018 distance goal target of 1 million meters (or 1000km)

Going to push on for my stretch goal of 1200km now :)
    Excellent, well done. :-)
    Yep, good work! I'm still (just about) on track for 500m/800km this year, but had a week off this week as fell down the stairs carrying my 10 month old and obviously sacrificed myself to make sure he was unharmed as much as possible! So have had a sore neck and back all week. it's feeling more normal now so may try a run tonight, if not get back on it sunday/monday.