The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Uh-oh - something's loose and rattling inside my Kemper!

Support have said opening it up won't void the warranty, so I'll be opening it up shortly....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    I've learned similar lessons lately and have been much better off for lowering the output level to around the same place as you, maybe even lower. I've since enjoyed no clipping in my DAW, which, being a bit of a n00b, I didn't realise was happening.
    I put a VU meter calibrated at -18dbFS on every channel, bus, and the 2bus, which is the equivalent of gain staging at analogue console levels (many plugins are also calibrated at this level). The trim option comes in handy too, as well as the Mono Maker for sorting out your low frequencies.

Controlling your levels in this way will leave enough headroom for the mastering process.

https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/VUMT/VUMT.php

Anyway, that's how you get good sound inside your DAW, just google "gain staging with VU meters"  
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.

• 1. So much stuff to learn. However much I want to learn about that stuff, I'm conscious that I wanna get stuff down too. Is there a happy medium with it, which is nice and fast - yet does all the nice things and follows best practices? Got a nipper on the way and will have even less time to do things the correct way.

I know there's often no shortcut with this stuff, but it'd be nice to set up a good template that just happens when I'm inspired.

2. If I've lowered the gain on the Kemper, to the point where it's no longer clipping in the DAW, what's the purpose of the VU meter and would it further help and why? Sorry, the answer is probably a google away, but worthwhile putting it here for posterity, maybe?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018

1. So much stuff to learn. However much I want to learn about that stuff, I'm conscious that I wanna get stuff down too. Is there a happy medium with it, which is nice and fast - yet does all the nice things and follows best practices? Got a nipper on the way and will have even less time to do things the correct way.

I know there's often no shortcut with this stuff, but it'd be nice to set up a good template that just happens when I'm inspired.

2. If I've lowered the gain on the Kemper, to the point where it's no longer clipping in the DAW, what's the purpose of the VU meter and would it further help and why? Sorry, the answer is probably a google away, but worthwhile putting it here for posterity, maybe?
    1. The technical term is "sound engineering" which implies some knowledge is required  I suggest learning the basics and then use your ears, but recording levels are probably the most critical aspect of getting a good sound. Templates are definitely the way to go.

2. You have various points in the recording chain to control levels, i.e. Kemper Output, audio interface preamp, DAW trim plugin, etc. I would say start off by getting the best possible sounding output from the Kemper, and then adjust the preamp levels.

The VU meters are just another way of monitoring the input signal, over and above the existing meters that are built into the DAW. VU metering harks back to the days of analogue consoles, and it is a recording methodology that people still find useful in the digital realm, as a lot of plugins have been calibrated to sound best at -18dbFS.

3. I actually posted a short series of videos on here which cover this topic. It is presented at a sufficiently high technical level to be very useful. The presentation is a bit dry, but it's worth persevering as the bloke is a professor at a music conservatoire.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/114133/
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Thanks @Freebird, I started those videos and didn't finish. Will look again.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?thread/40298-i-heard-a-rumor-about-a-new-kemper-reverb-that-compete-big-sky-or-immerse-type-o/&postID=457157#post457157

Reverbs are completed - but they're now doing a new preset manager so the reverbs are being delayed until that's completed.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited October 2018
    FarleyUK said:
    https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?thread/40298-i-heard-a-rumor-about-a-new-kemper-reverb-that-compete-big-sky-or-immerse-type-o/&postID=457157#post457157

Reverbs are completed - but they're now doing a new preset manager so the reverbs are being delayed until that's completed.
    FFS, I really hate that type development. In my line of work, we'd get absolutely torn a new one if our delivery process was like that. If it's ready, release it and get on with something else. They're independent of each other, so release. If they're dependent on each other, then there's a problem with your development strategy and it needs to be changed.

Sorry, rant over.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:

FFS, I really hate that type development. In my line of work, we'd get absolutely torn a new one if our delivery process was like that. If it's ready, release it and get on with something else. They're independent of each other so release. If they're dependent on each other, then there's a problem with your development strategy and it needs to be changed.

Sorry, rant over.
    Agreed. Seems very strange, especially given it's a German dev team.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Also agreed, maybe don't tease so early as people will get itchy on it

• Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

• PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    edited October 2018
    Kemper guys playing live, honestly do you ever miss the punch of a real amp when playing live or the ease of being able to tweak a real amp with a few turns to adjust it to the room? Ive had one & helix loved the sound of them at home but the bands im in all hated them live they lacked the same punch & feel/ interaction feedback etc i play with a loud drummer. I also found was mostly using one good profile & spent more time tweaking then playing spent a fortune on the rig Mbritt profiles plus a dxr10 more then an amp & cab so in the end gone back to traditional amp. Found kemper a pita to adjust live & couldnt find a simple spring reverb at the time seemed odd. In general they feel to polite & polished not aggresive & nasty like a roaring marshall-esque or mesa amp
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited October 2018
    @Pablocrackers ;The EQ is all there in front and accessible like a normal amp. IMO, it's probably more useful because of the EQ blocks that are available and the Pure Cab setting etc. But all that is kind of moot if you've tried it and it's not for you, mate. No shame in that.

Why do you ask? Are you looking to try it again?

• PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    edited October 2018
    Yep i have the hx stomp comimg but wondering about trying kemper again as it sounds so good & i spent alot of coin on boutique amps & the Uad ox which is great but it would be cheaper for a kemper but also the ethics of it kinda sux for the amp makers in the same way torrents killed music. Playing live tho my bands mate allways hated modellers mainly as they didnt punch like a real amp
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    edited October 2018
    Depends what you amplify a profiler or modeller with. If you feel they lack the punch to cut through a band mix then use a valve power amp and guitar cabs. My Kemper works very well through the fx return of a valve combo with an additional 2x12 cab (so a 3x12 stack!)

I did a gig last night with the KPA, Red Sound LG12 and a DXR10. Plenty of punch and volume - the Red Sound gives it low end punch and the dxr adds detail and clarity. Expensive solution though.
  • Yep i have the hx stomp comimg but wondering about trying kemper again as it sounds so good & i spent alot of coin on boutique amps & the Uad ox which is great but it would be cheaper for a kemper but also the ethics of it kinda sux for the amp makers in the same way torrents killed music. Playing live tho my bands mate allways hated modellers mainly as they didnt punch like a real amp
    I disagree about the ethical side and don't think it'll ever go the way of torrents. The fact that Victory have just released a Kemper pack shows that they see how the Kemper has become a positive tool. People will always buy tube amplifiers, they're great.

• Kemper guys playing live, honestly do you ever miss the punch of a real amp when playing live or the ease of being able to tweak a real amp with a few turns to adjust it to the room? Ive had one & helix loved the sound of them at home but the bands im in all hated them live they lacked the same punch & feel/ interaction feedback etc i play with a loud drummer. I also found was mostly using one good profile & spent more time tweaking then playing spent a fortune on the rig Mbritt profiles plus a dxr10 more then an amp & cab so in the end gone back to traditional amp. Found kemper a pita to adjust live & couldnt find a simple spring reverb at the time seemed odd. In general they feel to polite & polished not aggresive & nasty like a roaring marshall-esque or mesa amp
    The problem here isn't the Kemper, it's the DXR10. A PA speaker isn't the as same as a valve power section and guitar cab.

I use the power rack into an Orange 2x12 at rehearsal and for stage monitoring. No problem going up against JCM800's, 5150's etc.
  • My Kemper and remote are on their way to me! I'm going to get some profiles when it arrives... probably a few Top Jimi ones like the Caswell modded AFD amp and the Brown Sound... any tips for other good profilers out there? Obviously the Michael Britt ones get great reviews...

I wanted to ask about expression pedals... will any old expression pedal do? Do I need to spend the money on a Mission one or will something like Zoom one work? I really like my Morley Lynch Dragon 2 - would that work plugged into the input of the Kemper or am I better using the wahs on the Kemper?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

My Kemper and remote are on their way to me! I'm going to get some profiles when it arrives... probably a few Top Jimi ones like the Caswell modded AFD amp and the Brown Sound... any tips for other good profilers out there? Obviously the Michael Britt ones get great reviews...

I wanted to ask about expression pedals... will any old expression pedal do? Do I need to spend the money on a Mission one or will something like Zoom one work? I really like my Morley Lynch Dragon 2 - would that work plugged into the input of the Kemper or am I better using the wahs on the Kemper?
    I think any EXP pedal will work, as long as you use a TRS cable. the wah plugged in to the input of the Kemper will work as well.

Profile wise - I can highly recommend the Caswell modded JCM from Jimi. I've been using it exclusively, and I love it!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    My Kemper and remote are on their way to me! I'm going to get some profiles when it arrives... probably a few Top Jimi ones like the Caswell modded AFD amp and the Brown Sound... any tips for other good profilers out there? Obviously the Michael Britt ones get great reviews...

There are some good free ones on the rig exchange.  If you go on there, you can sort by rating and find the good ones.

I really like the Morgan AC20 one.  I think it's by RMPacheco.
  • My Kemper and remote are on their way to me! I'm going to get some profiles when it arrives... probably a few Top Jimi ones like the Caswell modded AFD amp and the Brown Sound... any tips for other good profilers out there? Obviously the Michael Britt ones get great reviews...

FarleyUK said:

I think any EXP pedal will work, as long as you use a TRS cable. the wah plugged in to the input of the Kemper will work as well.

Profile wise - I can highly recommend the Caswell modded JCM from Jimi. I've been using it exclusively, and I love it!
    Thanks guys, good shout on the Caswell profiles, I like them a lot!