The Preamp DI Thread

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    So tried out the Behringer BD and its pretty decent. We used it as a distortion pedal in front of an amp which was then also DI'd into our IEMs and it was getting a nice bit of grit on there.

Certainly beats the repurposing of verious guitar pedals that weve been trying so far.
    Good to hear it worked. Very different from their guitar and acoustic offerings...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At £18 Id even go so far as suggesting that its a no-brainer.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    At £18 Id even go so far as suggesting that its a no-brainer.
    Yep. Pretty much my thoughts on it too
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    £17 now - worth having as a backup at these prices, so gone for one too
  • horse said:
    God dammit Ive been ripped off!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    horse said:
    God dammit Ive been ripped off!
     I'm willing to split the difference - pm me
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Another update from me as I had the chance to try both the Ampeg PF20 and the Behringer preamp pedal in a live setting this weekend.

As usual, I played a fretless Warwick thumb. Normally I put that through a Warwick 300W solid state amp into a 15” cab, and it sounds good, if a little modern/hi-fi.

First I put the Behringer in front of the amp, and with one of the sample settings on it, it straight away gave a lovely warmth that complemented the set up perfectly. A very nice sound indeed!

Next I replaced the Warwick head with the Ampeg. 300W of solid state against 20W of tube - the Ampeg shouldn’t have had a chance. But the volume was fine to act as a monitor, competing with a moderately enthusiastic drummer. No, it probably wouldn’t fill the room without PA, but it was far louder than I expected. In fact I had the volume just under half way, exactly where I normally have the Warwick’s volume control.

So the volume was a surprise, and so was the sound. Good, warm but not as warm as the Behringer, and with a bit more grit. Not distortion exactly (which I have no use for in my bass sound), but just a bit of edge. Both fit my taste more than my usual set-up, albeit in slightly different ways. 

Thanks to @Bridgehouse for the encouragement which led me to acquiring two very nice and useful bits of kit.
    mart said:
    Another update from me as I had the chance to try both the Ampeg PF20 and the Behringer preamp pedal in a live setting this weekend.

As usual, I played a fretless Warwick thumb. Normally I put that through a Warwick 300W solid state amp into a 15” cab, and it sounds good, if a little modern/hi-fi.

First I put the Behringer in front of the amp, and with one of the sample settings on it, it straight away gave a lovely warmth that complemented the set up perfectly. A very nice sound indeed!

Next I replaced the Warwick head with the Ampeg. 300W of solid state against 20W of tube - the Ampeg shouldn’t have had a chance. But the volume was fine to act as a monitor, competing with a moderately enthusiastic drummer. No, it probably wouldn’t fill the room without PA, but it was far louder than I expected. In fact I had the volume just under half way, exactly where I normally have the Warwick’s volume control.

So the volume was a surprise, and so was the sound. Good, warm but not as warm as the Behringer, and with a bit more grit. Not distortion exactly (which I have no use for in my bass sound), but just a bit of edge. Both fit my taste more than my usual set-up, albeit in slightly different ways. 

Thanks to @Bridgehouse for the encouragement which led me to acquiring two very nice and useful bits of kit.
    Sounds excellent! A good result all round!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited October 2018
    I've been prevaricating for ages over which cheap bass di to get. I was drawn to the simplicity of the Dr. J (£60) but the cheapness of the Behringer (£18.99 delivered) won the day!

It arrived this morning and I've just plugged it in to put it through its paces - it's excellent. I've no real quibbles with the quality (we'll see how long it lasts but I won't be gigging it) and the sound DI'd direct into the desk is more than adequate for me. The drive and blend controls make it easy to dial in a gnarley driven sound with definition.

I've recorded my initial experiments with it and shall enter it into the Bass Riff of the Month if you want to hear it.
    I should be on commission with Behringer! ;)
  • Not much comission on £18.99! ;)

I don't know if it's part of the reason why these are being sold so cheap everywhere at the moment but the english instruction sheet that came with it is incorrectly printed - the front is correct but the reverse has suggested settings for the guitar version. The online pdf has the correct suggested settings for bass.
  • Full recording here ...

• Ed is using my budget bass board in this video...see if you can spot something familiar?

https://www.facebook.com/PrionSon/posts/1985756191471366
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ