Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    TimmyO said:
    goldtop said:
    Does anyone else find the Helix's headphone output quiet? I'm having to put the Headphones dial at almost maximum to get decent level. These are AKG phones, with typical studio impedance of a couple of hundred Ohms, I think.

It could be a gain-staging thing that I'm getting wrong, but I don't think so. Unless I've missed it, there's no way to monitor 'signal' levels in the signal path.

Any advice?
    Turn the dial to almost maximum 
    :) Obvious solution is obvious, but ... if I've c*cked up the gain-staging somehow, it's not a good idea. I risk getting a huge boost in volume - through headphones - by inadvertently altering the relevant setting.

It's that brain-dead thing every guitarist does once: "I can't hear anything, so I'll turn it all the way up and fiddle".

Which is why I was asking about volume levels and headphone impedance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    goldtop said:
    TimmyO said:
    goldtop said:
    Does anyone else find the Helix's headphone output quiet? I'm having to put the Headphones dial at almost maximum to get decent level. These are AKG phones, with typical studio impedance of a couple of hundred Ohms, I think.

It could be a gain-staging thing that I'm getting wrong, but I don't think so. Unless I've missed it, there's no way to monitor 'signal' levels in the signal path.

Any advice?
    Turn the dial to almost maximum 
    :) Obvious solution is obvious, but ... if I've c*cked up the gain-staging somehow, it's not a good idea. I risk getting a huge boost in volume - through headphones - by inadvertently altering the relevant setting.

It's that brain-dead thing every guitarist does once: "I can't hear anything, so I'll turn it all the way up and fiddle".

Which is why I was asking about volume levels and headphone impedance.
    Have a check of what the big knob is assigned to as well
    from memory I don’t know if it can be assigned to the headphone output at the same time as the headphone volume
    also watch volume pedals etc
    what is the impedence of your cans anyway? You were kind of vague and it is important :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    If they are 250ohm studio-spec type then you might expect them to be harder to drive than domestic style. I'm
    In the market for new cans and am erring toward the 32ohm version of the DT770 for this reason (and using with iPad, laptop) 

Although I THOUGHT I recalled the L6 guys saying that Helix was good to drive all phones 
    Red ones are better. 
    If you end up needing max volume cans then look at the 80ohm DT770 - they use a different coil design precisely to generate max volume 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    TimmyO said:
    If they are 250ohm studio-spec type then you might expect them to be harder to drive than domestic style. I'm
    In the market for new cans and am erring toward the 32ohm version of the DT770 for this reason (and using with iPad, laptop) 

Although I THOUGHT I recalled the L6 guys saying that Helix was good to drive all phones 
    When I was moaning about headphones @Digital_Igloo popped up to say helix works best with high ohm phones
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Thanks chaps - I will check the actual headphone specs tomorrow and report back.

I need to get deeper into the manual - perhaps there's some sort of metering block I can add to check that I've not somehow lowered the signal level at some point in the chain.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    I'm using some AKG K271 Mk2s.  They're 55 ohms and sound great with the Helix.  I'd have to check later where on the dial they get too loud, but I certainly don't recall ever coming close to running out of volume.  I think I'd be well into hearing damage levels long before I got there. 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524

goldtop said:

I need to get deeper into the manual - perhaps there's some sort of metering block I can add to check that I've not somehow lowered the signal level at some point in the chain.
    There isn't at the moment.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    TimmyO said:
    If you end up needing max volume cans then look at the 80ohm DT770 - they use a different coil design precisely to generate max volume 
    I have several sets of these in the studio- they are fine, but do boost the bass.
    If designing patches you might want to consider this.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I’ve never really looked into the helix much. Can it genuinely go toe to toe with Axe Fx and Kemper?
    I have a Kemper, a Helix and an Axe FX 2 (plus an FX8).

Tonally yes definitely- but they all have their relative strengths and weaknesses.

The main PITA with the Helix is it is a little low in output when going direct to my DAW, compared to the others.
    I compensate by either using an EQ block last in the chain and boosting by 6db, or by applying 6db of boost from one of the preamps.
    octatonic said:
    TimmyO said:
    I have several sets of these in the studio- they are fine, but do boost the bass.
    If designing patches you might want to consider this.
    yep even Beyer say they aren't the most transparent but the payoff is volume - horses for courses 
    Red ones are better. 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    So here's the release notes for 2.7. Enjoy. 

Helix/HX Firmware 2.70 (Oct 2018) "The Marketplace Update"

New Features (Firmware 2.70)
    • Marketplace support—Marketplace is a new online destination that lets users purchase presets and impulse responses created by select third-party content gurus. From the lower left-hand corner of HX Edit, click "My Account" and then choose "Get More Presets..." or "Get More IRs..."
    • Three New Tuner Types—From the Tuner page, turn the Type knob to choose between "Fine" (color-changing needle tuner with fine tuning bar), "Coarse" (color-changing needle tuner with no fine tuning bar), and "Strobe". SEE IMPORTANT KNOWN ISSUE BELOW*

New Features (HX Edit 2.70)
    • Multi-device support—HX Edit now opens a new window when multiple Helix or HX boxes are connected. For example, if you have Helix Floor and your bass player has HX Stomp, you can now connect both and quickly and easily copy and paste individual blocks back and forth. Windows can also be manually opened and closed from the Devices pull-down menu

Improvements
    • The tuner now accurately tunes notes down to 21.83 Hz (low F) for 5-string basses
    • HX Stomp only—Shortcut: If HX Stomp is in Preset or Snapshot mode, or FS3 in Stomp and Scroll mode has been assigned to something other than TAP/TUNER, you can now press ACTION and PAGE> together to open the Tuner screen
    • HX Stomp only—Shortcut: Press ACTION and <PAGE together to quickly toggle the Global Settings > Preferences > Snapshot Edits value

Bug Fixes
    • Helix Floor, Rack, LT only—A couple of amp models (including Cali Texas Ch 2) have their polarity reversed. When combined with another amp in parallel, this could cause phase cancellation — FIXED
    • Helix Floor, Rack, LT only—Amp > Cali Texas Ch 1 could gradually decrease in level when Mid and/or Bass parameters are set to 0.0 — FIXED
    • Helix Floor, Rack, LT only—Delay models with two Time parameters could sometimes reset note divisions when changing snapshots — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—Clearing or cutting a block on Path B from HX Edit could sometimes HX Effects to freeze when in stomp footswitch mode — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—Switching from a preset with a Split > Crossover block to a preset with a Split > A/B block could sometimes cause HX Effects to freeze — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—When EXP Position is set to Global, the expression pedal's position could not be recalled immediately after switching presets, which could cause undesired signals to pass through — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—In rare cases, exiting the Tuner could sometimes slightly adjust signal level and tone — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—When connecting both left and right inputs, exiting the tuner could sometimes cause the right side of certain effects blocks to not be heard
    • HX Effects only—In very rare cases, engaging a certain combination of footswitches while connected to HX Edit and then power cycling HX Effects could clear certain blocks — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—From HX Edit, copying and pasting an Output block over itself could sometimes paste Mixer parameters — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—Switching Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Tempo Select values while transmitting MIDI clock could sometimes result in sending incorrect tempi — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—After resetting Global Settings, Tap Tempo could become unresponsive while receiving MIDI Clock — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—HX Edit would not reflect the Looper > 1 Switch Looper's bypass status — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—Mixer parameter values could inadvertently be copied into new empty presets — FIXED
    • HX Effects only—Quickly changing snapshots from HX Edit could sometimes cause hardware and software to disconnect — FIXED

Known Issues
    • *IMPORTANT: The three new tuner types only appear for those registered users who didn't complain incessantly about Helix's previous tuner on social media. For those who did complain (AND WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE), the new tuner will be unlocked once you perform ONE of the following:
    —>Post a photo of yourself on the Helix Facebook Group with the "><" logo written on your forehead in black Sharpie (washable magic marker is acceptable). The admins have been given the authority to unlock units with flagged serial numbers; assuming business hours, please allow 1-2 hours for the new tuner page to be unlocked (NOTE: You may have to restart Helix/HX for the new tuner page to appear)
    —>Post a meme of Arnold Schwarzenegger from Kindergarten Cop yelling "IT'S NOT A TUNAAHH!" on either the Line 6 Helix—or—The Gear Page > Digital and Modeling Gear forum. Be sure to use the proper Impact font. Memes will not be judged for their artistic merit, although the spelling must be correct. Again, admins have been given the authority to unlock units with flagged serial numbers
    —>If you'd prefer to participate silently, you may instead manually rename 47 presets "Patience is Key" (NOTE: Will not work from HX Edit; nor can you just copy one "Patience is Key" preset into 46 additional locations. You must manually rename each one. Once all 47 presets have been named correctly, the inspector [or FS5 on HX Effects] will read "Tuners unlocked!")
    • HX Effects only—When Tuner Type is set to "Strobe" and your string is waaay out of tune, the graphic tuner nodes may appear a bit glitchy
    • HX Effects only—In rare cases, moving an Impulse Response block from Path A to Path B can cause a second IR block to reset its impulse selection
    • Importing bundles containing Marketplace assets can take notably longer
    • When manually engaging a rebuild presets command (holding FS1+2 or FS2+3), Helix can appear to freeze even though it doesn't. Wait 15-20 seconds for the rebuild to complete and all is well
    • Loading a Distortion > Kinky Boost block can sometimes result in an audible thump
    • Wait, are you serious about the sharpie forehead, Schwarzenegger meme, and renaming 47 presets thing? No. This is why you always read the entire release notes

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    I renamed 47 presets and don't have the new tuners.

Do I need to download and install the new firmware too? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmmmmmm 
  • Not sure where this marketplace is going to lead
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    If the tuner is finally as good as the Kemper then all we be well ;)
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited October 2018
    Not sure where this marketplace is going to lead
    People have been selling patches and IRs ever since Helix first came out.  I see it as just a way of formalising that into a paid for version of Custom Tone for those producers that Line 6 consider to be good enough to get a tacit endorsement from them.  I might be wrong but I don't see it as a prelude to paid for models if that's what you're inferring. 

Unless Line 6 contributors to fora are extremely good liars then demand for the Helix product line has vastly exceeded their expectations and part of the attraction is the ongoing addition of new free models.  I would be surprised if they wanted to upset the business model which to date has been so successful.  But as ever we'll see.  
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • siremoon said:
    Not sure where this marketplace is going to lead
    People have been selling patches and IRs ever since Helix first came out.  I see it as just a way of formalising that into a paid for version of Custom Tone for those producers that Line 6 consider to be good enough to get a tacit endorsement from them..  I might be wrong but I don't see it as a prelude to paid for models if that's what you're inferring. 

Unless Line 6 contributors to fora are extremely good liars then demand for the Helix product line has vastly exceeded their expectations and part of the attraction is the ongoing addition of new free models.  I would be surprised if they wanted to upset the business model which to date has been so successful.  But as ever we'll see.  
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking...

Then I was thinking this is a slippery slope and there’s no way they developed this whole new marketplace just so Glen Dulane could sell his presets 

Then again if someone wants to model a Super Reverb, Cornford MK50, ODR-1, BB Preamp and Zendrive I’d happily pay 50 quid for it
  • It's not just presets - it's an easier way to get custom IRs as well.

I can't see them doing paid-for amp/effects models. That'd be pretty much the opposite of the way they've always done things, and they've got an awful lot of goodwill in the community that they won't want to waste. There would be no need for it from a financial standpoint, because they've got a full hardware roadmap (so they're constantly selling new units), and by the time they've exhausted the hardware possibilities they'll be releasing Helix v2.
    <space for hire>
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    As long as the firmware updates remain free (As always promised...)