Recording Error Audio Dropout Detected?

What's Hot
In Cubase, recording Guitar.

With everything set right and set the same as I've been doing for ages, but suddenly get this message repeatedly much to my frustration.

Solution: I changed the sample rate etc.

Question: Why? It never gave me this grief before.

Is it due to the amount of tracks I have loaded into the project? I have 33 tracks and counting as I'm doing the Hot Stuff Cover Challenge, so does it suddenly have trouble handling this amount of information?

It did it both recording the Guitar with an Amp and Cab miced up and also using Guitar Rig loaded on the PC into the programme.

I've looked at Cubase forum, but sadly even reading the responses to similar problems frustrates me as I don't understand the terminology, the answers seem too complex to understand.

So if anyone has a simple explanation in plain English, I would be very happy.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Hows your PC specs?...Is your CPU under pressure from anywhere else?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240 said:
    Hows your PC specs?...Is your CPU under pressure from anywhere else?
    Hi @spark240 thanks

No, it was just normal conditions that have been present 100's times before. No updates or maintenance going on elsewhere. It's not the amount of layers in the project then, that was my first thought?
    Well yes it could be of course, are you using lots of Fx ?,,,can you print the tracks with FX on ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Often it is down to a rogue plugin that is consuming too many resources.
    Try disabling (not just bypassing) plugins one by one.
    If you find the culprit then see if it is the latest version.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    this is the most frustrating thing ever, worse when you only notice it when mixing.
    I have had this issue but I am 100% certain my issue was a hardware one, solved by using a powered USB hub for the interface and upgrading the computer, I also turn off wifi/Bluetooth  when recording, so many possible caused
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    as above, wi-fi can cause drop outs where there were none before. I had it on my old PC, went down all sorts of rabbitholes with LatencyMON but couldn't find the issue. There was some driver polling the wi-fi dongle periodically. Win reinstall stopped it but it kept coming back.

but remember, the optimal buffer settings are those at which you don't get spikes. So you might have been sailing close to the edge on your original settings. The better interfaces have low latency, some of the newer ones even claim zero. Faster components, more direct wiring, however they do it, you have to pay for it. For us cheapskates, this is one of those issues that you keep your fingers crossed for. Every case is different so no easy explanations I'm afraid.

Doesn't cubase have driver protection (ASIOGuard) or something to prevent this? Check your version. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Stacking up multiple tracks of guitar through amp modelling plug-ins gobbles up processing power.

spark240 said:
    can you print the tracks with FX on ?
    This is the straightforward solution. For instrument tracks that are complete, conversion into plain audio removes the CPU strain of whatever plug-ins were originally used in creating that overall sound.

Another variation on this CPU load reduction idea is to sub-mix guitar parts that employ identical processing. Route multiple tracks of raw audio signal to a stereo Auxiliary buss. Insert one iteration of the required amp/effect plug-in combination on that buss. Route the combined/processed guitar parts to the stereo master track.
    Be seeing you.
  • Thanks for the info people, it's a good reference to come back to. There are some terms that I'm not familiar with though.

I'm not sure what @spark240 meant by "Printing" the tracks with FX on?

I'm totally lost with @Funkfingers solution although I'm sure you know your Onions, I just don't know about sub mixing and auxiliary buses. I'm ashamed to admit that I can't recall what a Bus is. I think I know what you are saying but don't know how to do it. For this track.

I'm gonna have to carry on with my usual method an stick with the layers I have as there is still a small amount to do, but time is running out and then I have to mix all the levels to suit, so I'm cutting it fine.

I've just stuck to one method as I usually only do SOTM and ROTM and that doesn't require more than 10 layers normally.

I got taught the basics by the very kind @blobb which I'd have had a nervous breakdown without ;)

Me changing the latency etc has seemed to work for now anyway, but I have much to learn if I am going to carry on doing full tracks. I bet there are loads of shortcuts that I don't know about that could have saved me time while doing this track.

B) 
    Ok so...Printing FX is simply re-recording the track with the FX on already, In Studio One its called Render to Audio, its probably called something similar in your DAW.

At the moment any FX you are using will be being processed in real time as the tracks play, using lots of CPU, so let say you use a reverb plug in, the audio is being sent to the reverb, processed and replayed instantly, if you were to "print" the reverb to the track its essentially fixed and cannot be altered ( Most DAWS allow you to "un-render" ) but it save lots of cpu.

Ill Let @Funkfingers explain Busses !

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131523

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    spark240 said:
    I'll Let @Funkfingers explain Busses !
    Gee, thanks. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @spark240 ;

I use Cubase that has Guitar Rig 5 imported into it's recognised VST's. So, I usually pick a sound in that (Guitar Amp and FX and Cab), but I sometimes just plain pay into the DAW and then put some of the Cubase FX on after I've recorded the part.

I use Halion Sonic or Kontakt 5 for Keys and Bass Guitar and Groove Agent or Kontakt 5 for Drums.

I could have gotten away with using a few less tracks for this project but there are corrections and additions as always.

I assume @Funkfingers that is Bus is let's say "The Stereo Out" Fader console thingy....buttons and all? :)

I assume a bus is not one of the Fader thingy consoles that just represents "Clean Guitar Verse" or "Main Keys Intro". These usually are the tracks loaded that say Audio 1 or Audio 2 etc when you load them?
    Ok....I can't resist having a go.....

A Bus is basically another fader to which you assign other faders to go to, so you could send say 3 guitars to one fader ( Bus), then assign one FX to that Bus, this means using only one instance of the FX rather than 3 i.e one on each guitar track.

I generally use this method for Reverbs and delays , where I can use the same FX for a number of tracks, the amount of FX is determined buy the FX send on each track.  

Probably makes no sense ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • That does make sense @spark240 ;

If you read me last post, I think I got somewhere near ;)

I will have to watch some You Tube tutorials on how to do this, it's probably easier than it sounds. Providing I don't have 8 different Guitar sounds all with different FX it sounds a handy method. Good job I don't write Prog songs :)
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    theres a few ways to deal with this, I steer towards this method, I'm using Reaper.
    I try and group things together, ie- 10 drum tracks get put in 1 stereo group, any eq that needs doing is done on individual tracks first, and maybe compression too, then I put BUS compression on the whole group, and render it as a stereo audio file, then I use that stereo audio as my mix source instead of the 10 individuals. Turn off/ disable all plugins on inactive tracks.
    Same process with as many tracks as i can get away with, it means committing to a track, but when its bounced as audio it frees up the resources, if theres something you really need to tweak at plugin level while mixing, you can still do it--there will be less resources being used overall, I think you'd call this STEM mixing, but it works for me on a fairly low powered system, but it handles 50 tracks and lots of plugs anyway-I just keep my eye on resources as I work, and haven't had too many problems
  • Thanks @andy_k ;

All good stuff. I'll try the turning off of the fx on some tracks that aren't important for the Singer and muting the Guitars temporarily as well when she records too, drums and bass and keys are enough just for cues.
    You could do a sub mix of the whole song and record it onto a single stereo track and use that for guide for vocal, then turn off all FX and processing on the actual tracks until mix time

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Cheers @spark240 ;

I won't be recording any more vocals until Oct 28th anyway as that's when she is next available. From what I'm reading, it'll take me some dedicated learning and due to the amount of time I have - I only just manage to do the monthly challenges with my current knowledge - it'll have to be learned over a longer period of time, but, thankfully, I have this valuable resource ;)