Bloody tweeters!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sparkspark Frets: 22
    always I turn the tweeter off, it's useless (at least for me)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2018
    I've got a single tweeter. It's 15" and it can tweet on it's own time if it wants to. 

Am I doing it right?

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I've got a single tweeter. It's 15" and it can tweet on it's own time if it wants to. 

Am I doing it right?
    How big is your main driver? 12’ ??
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    If only bass players weren't hung up on old school tech like bass heads and cabs, and instead investigated the world of Preamp pedals, DI, modelling and FRFR more..

..Oh, hang on, yes.. that's right - we do. Just like we embraced class D amps with open arms (and non-screwed backs) a long while back too...

;)
    The amp I blew the tweeter in is a 500W Class D combo with a 10” speaker, which is light enough to pick up with one hand but loud enough to work as backline-only if the drums aren’t mic’ed, and has a detachable amp section which I can run into a provided cab as a head or use as a DI’d preamp if I feel like it... which I think is pretty modern tech even though it’s also an ‘amp’ :).

(Strictly speaking it’s only 250W into the internal speaker, but it’s still ridiculously loud for its size and weight.)

It’s so impressive, the guitarist asked if they do a guitar version - it’s about the same weight as his 30W valve head.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    If only bass players weren't hung up on old school tech like bass heads and cabs, and instead investigated the world of Preamp pedals, DI, modelling and FRFR more..

..Oh, hang on, yes.. that's right - we do. Just like we embraced class D amps with open arms (and non-screwed backs) a long while back too...

;)
    The amp I blew the tweeter in is a 500W Class D combo with a 10” speaker, which is light enough to pick up with one hand but loud enough to work as backline-only if the drums aren’t mic’ed, and has a detachable amp section which I can run into a provided cab as a head or use as a DI’d preamp if I feel like it... which I think is pretty modern tech even though it’s also an ‘amp’ :).

(Strictly speaking it’s only 250W into the internal speaker, but it’s still ridiculously loud for its size and weight.)

It’s so impressive, the guitarist asked if they do a guitar version - it’s about the same weight as his 30W valve head.
    Was it a TC?
  • ICBM said:

;)

Was it a TC?
    Doubt it; the amp would have blown before the tweeter did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bridgehouse said:

Was it a TC?
    Probably true :). I dont trust TC reliability at all.

No...

Ibanez Promethean 5110.

I don’t know for sure if they’re any good either, I’ve never seen another one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Was it a TC?
    Probably true :). I dont trust TC reliability at all.

No...

Ibanez Promethean 5110.

I don’t know for sure if they’re any good either, I’ve never seen another one.
    Which means they either didn’t sell very well or don’t last very long - either way, not a great sign of super reliability.. 

Maybe you should try a good old Trace combo. You can use both arms to carry it..? Oh. 

Well, you could get a trolley and wheel it around. Though if things start slowly gravitating towards Scotland we will know why...
    Bridgehouse said:

Which means they either didn’t sell very well or don’t last very long - either way, not a great sign of super reliability..
    I’ve seen a couple of reports of problems with the switch-mode power supply, although that's not unheard of with anything that uses one.

I suspect they may have not sold well simply due to the fact that Ibanez is not a recognised name in bass amplification - and worse, not an unknown newcomer either - and you know what people are like... even we less-conservative bass players :).

Apparently it’s designed by the same person who did the Red Sub.

One thing is for sure, if it dies for any reason and isn’t repairable I’ll be looking for something else with the same sort of feature set. My original intention was to get a MarkBass head and a Barefaced cab, but this was a lot cheaper...

• martmart Frets: 5205
    edited October 2018
    ICBM said:

Ibanez Promethean 5110.
    There was a lot of love for the Promethean online about 10 years ago.

The last person I saw live playing one was Dave Pegg, and he had a tone to die for.

They used not to be that hard to find second hand, although I haven’t looked for a few years.
    mart said:

There was a lot of love for the Promethean online about 10 years ago. 

The last person I saw live playing one was Dave Pegg, and he had a tone to die for.
    I can’t claim his level of talent, but it does sound rather good.

mart said:

They used not to be that hard to find second hand, although I haven’t looked for a few years.
    They must have sold quite a few then.

The fact that I’ve never seen a dead one does give me at least some confidence.

As far as I remember they were the first to pack that much power into that small a box, but there are actually quite a lot of alternatives now if anything does happen to it.

Ahhh - the 5110 is a head in a box combo style.. You know what would do the same job? a Mesa Walkabout - same recipe, same sort of sound. You can buy the head separately - (same for promethean) and it looks like they offered a few (and a few cab combo 'box' alternatives.

Ahhh - the 5110 is a head in a box combo style.. You know what would do the same job? a Mesa Walkabout - same recipe, same sort of sound. You can buy the head separately - (same for promethean) and it looks like they offered a few (and a few cab combo 'box' alternatives.
    I like those too, but they’re much heavier and more expensive.

Funnily enough I hate top-mounted controls, but I’ve actually been willing to compromise on that for such a portable package...

ICBM said:
    I like those too, but they’re much heavier and more expensive.

Funnily enough I hate top-mounted controls, but I’ve actually been willing to compromise on that for such a portable package...
    What is it about the sound you like? There's some really good portable combos out there (from lesser known brands) that might be worth considering if it does go south...
    Delving into the bass chat basement areas... there's a few combos that do similar things sound wise it seems:

The Genzler MG-350 Array 10-2 (expensive, but same weight and size and removable head) is the closest (but not price wise!) and oddly Harley Benton (Thomann) did the same exact amp as the 5110 in a slightly different cab. 

Course, the Markbass CMD 121P is the market leader in this sort of thing - and they have sold so many of them that it probably explains why Ibanez gave up..