Justin Sandercoe gives Lee Anderton a guitar lesson

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8590
I found this interesting to watch. https://youtu.be/RQV0T2TX-4k

There’s always something to learn. Apart from the guitar playing tips it demonstrates Justin’s knowledge and abilities as a guitar teacher, and it shows Lee’s natural reactions under pressure.

I’m interested to see what other people make of it.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    is Justin UK based? I always thought he was based in oz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    mli3 said:
    UK based for many years, I think he explains on one of the Anderson’s videos about recently moving out of London now he has kids and lives somewhere near Guildford. 

IIRC originally fromTasmania. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Justin is a great teacher, Lee has the attention span of a gnat, but he’s getting a lot better and with Justin’s help I reckon he’s gonna get good. 

The thing about Lee though is he loves all things guitar, he’s not just a salesman. I hope he gets to where he wants to be ie Claptonesque !
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    edited October 2018
    There's a series called "Rut Busters" showing Justin teaching Lee - certainly available on Justin's website, and I think on Andertons TV as well. I been looking at them on Justin's site.

In all honesty, it must be more than a bit uncomfortable being filmed whilst learning/playing out of your long established "comfort zone". I've also noticed that Lee does tend to go off at a tangent, when he finds things a bit too awkward. On the other hand, I find it interesting but a bit strange, that Lee's both capable of building Andertons to what it is today, and has had the awareness that his guitar playing has been restricted, and yet hasn't done anything about it previously.

@EricTheWeary is correct. Justin's originally from Tasmania. Lived in London for a long time, and for the last year plus has been living in Surrey.
    Really good watching that. Thanks for posting. 
    Makes me realise how much I have to do and how little time I have
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    ... I've also noticed that Lee does tend to go off at a tangent, when he finds things a bit too awkward. On the other hand, I find it interesting but a bit strange, that Lee's both capable of building Andertons to what it is today, and has had the awareness that his guitar playing has been restricted, and yet hasn't done anything about it previously.
    You can learn a lot about Lee from the video. He spends a lot of his time and energy building and running the business. Like many people he hasn’t allocated much time to guitar practice. Even now he’s developing website content, and cross-branding with Justin, whilst learning guitar.

You have to admire someone who’s willing to expose his inadequacies in public. It has the benefit that customers are unlikely to feel nervous of their playing when trying a guitar in front of him.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I thought that was really interesting, good to see someone else's teaching style. Justin is great.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Lee must've gotten over the "looking limited on YT" thing years ago. I reckon it must be pretty liberating once you've started. 

As an aside I used to spend at least as much time talking about records/players with my teacher as I did playing. He was as obsessed with transcription as Justin. Maybe I should go back to lessons.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited October 2018

...my teacher... was as obsessed with transcription as Justin. Maybe I should go back to lessons.
    Watching that got me doing a bit of transcribing again. 
    This time I thought I'd have a go on an iPad -- super easy!
    I downloaded a blank sheet of TAB from Justin's site and opened it up in Procreate on the iPad.
    Added the transcription on a new layer using an Apple pencil. 
    Of course a regular pencil and paper works, but this is kind of cool because you can add a temporary guide grid and get all your handwriting to line up and when you suddenly realise you've not left enough space to fit in a triplet you just lasso stuff and move it over.  Good fun.
  • Have watched this now. Lee certainly stays much more on track in this lesson than he does in the "Rut Busters" series of videos.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    edited October 2018

As a player imo he has nice vibrato and touch. It's been a pleasure seeing his skills develop.
  • Also, back in the day when he used to be a teenager (the period where most of us had plenty of time to kill) there was no youtube to help you learn. Only tab books and REH videos and most of them weren't that great either. So props to him for being at the level he is.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    mli3 said:
    UK based for many years, I think he explains on one of the Anderson’s videos about recently moving out of London now he has kids and lives somewhere near Guildford. 

IIRC originally fromTasmania. 
    Yes he is from Tassie.
    We grew up very close to one another- although I didn't know him then.
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 328
    Thanks for posting, really enjoyed it and really interesting. Lots of talking in this first one so it will be good to see this develop as a series with more playing. Will also be keen to see if Lee sticks to the practice routine Justin mapped out for him!
    I love my brick
    2nd lesson up on you tube now. Really good watching it. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Might have to give it a listen... I’m being forced to sit through a recording of this week’s British Bake off.... :o
  • There's a lot of talking in the 2nd Episode as well - I would have preferred to see a bit more playing. On there hand, Lee had put in a decent effort at doing his practice, and was very honest about what he had, and hadn't, achieved.
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 328
    It’s a good watch, as a relative beginner there are some good tips in here, including playing major scale in thirds so it sounds less “scaly”
    I love my brick
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    I have come across these videos as well recently...also have been following JustingGuitar for ages - I really , really do like this fella, and also seen few Andertons videos here and there...so after seen this I asked myself: "Is this for real or they are making it up?? The Captain cannot be that bad at guitar playing / theory etc.? Seriously ?". 
    My picture (until these videos) was him - The Captain, sitting behind all this posh and expensive guitars, amps, effects equipment he has access to on daily basis and I was thinking this guy MUST be an excellent guitar player 'by default', surely.
    But not. He is not. I would say he is far from this, but....these videos only show that he is just as 'normal' guy (as I am) who wants to play his guitar and improve his playing technique, realizing at the same time he has a lot to learn.
    I am not a big fan of the Captain-Chapman 'combo' but base on these videos/lessons - well done Lee !!

BTW - it also shows how good teacher Justin is - Id like to have 1-2-1 lesson with him.

Chris