Headphone amp thingy ?

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 195
I am looking for suggestions for something small, cheap"ish but reasonably good sounding, for late night noodling.
At present I have a Vox Amplug2 "Classic Rock" but am not that impressed, although possibly the headphones I am using don"t help.
Mainly playing clean"ish but some FX & possibly drum patterns would be nice.
Also headphone suggestions.
At present I have Sennheiser HD 500"s & a couple of pairs of cheap in ear phones that came with mobile phones & MP3 players.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could pick up a Line 6 Pocket Pod - normally around £30-40 second hand. That’d give you a range of amp models and a few effects too. It also does a decent job as a backup at gigs if your amp should ever fail - I DI’d it a couple of times and it was decent. 

Headphones wise, the Audio Technica m30x would would be a step up from your current ones, around £50 new if your budget allows. 
  • I have the Vox Amplug.. didn't like it.. the dials are cumbersome.. wiring it up is a bind..

I recently bought an Amplifi TT (£100 @ Andertons).. it's great. It lives next to my Xbox under my TV, I can stream audio from spotify or youtube to it via bluetooth and blend with the output of my guitar/bass. I hook up some headphones for late night practice.

I'll be watching the headphones suggestions here..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• I have the Vox Amplug.. didn't like it.. the dials are cumbersome.. wiring it up is a bind..

I recently bought an Amplifi TT (£100 @ Andertons).. it's great. It lives next to my Xbox under my TV, I can stream audio from spotify or youtube to it via bluetooth and blend with the output of my guitar/bass. I hook up some headphones for late night practice.

I'll be watching the headphones suggestions here..
    I have the Amplifi 75, slightly bulky but it’s an excellent practice tool, think you can still get the much smaller version Amplifi 30? use it mainly for silent playing - also use it to stream music and play along to my band stuff, probably one of the best bits of kit I’ve bought in years.
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    An IPad with Garageband and an iRig.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

I have no shame. Blackstar HT-1 or Fly.

Dave.

• rprrpr Frets: 308
    I use a Zoom G1on for headphone practice,similar needs and does more than fine.  About £40ish last time I looked.
  • Zoom G3 is great for headphone play. It has effects block called "Air" that gives the right kind of stereo widening that makes headphone play feel more like being in a room thank playing into your lugholes. 

• baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I have a Zoom G3XN but was looking for something a little less bulky & preferably with a battery option to save having to hook up a power supply ?
    A pocket Pod is definitely an option.
    Anyone have any experience of the Korg Pandora ?
  • Ah I have the older regular G3, which doesn't have the expression pedal and also runs for hours on four rechargeable AA batteries. I think they took the battery option out of the newer version.

Yes no battery option on my Zoom G3XN, plus having the expression pedal makes it bulkier.
    I really would like something battery powered & as compact as possible.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    Use a Mooer Audiofile with beyerdynamic DT 770 headphones.
    Very happy with the sound, takes effects like a champ, even dirt.
    Convenient to leave on my board.
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    edited October 2018
    Recommend the Palmer Pocket amp, loads os uses and works well with headphones or as a DI

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/overdrive-pedals/palmer-mi-pocket-amp-mk-2-portable-guitar-preamp
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650

I use Irig and download the free Fender/Marshall amp sims to my Ipad/Ipod

edited October 2018
    After reading the suggestions I am tempted to get a Line 6 pocket Pod ?
    Some of those suggested have been mains powered only or a little bulkier than I would like.
    My criteria was, compact, battery operated, a few FX, possibly a drum pattern.
    The pocket Pod seems to tick all the boxes for me for a late night silent noodle.
    Other times I can use either my Katana 50 or Orange, with or without headphones & I have a Zoom G3XN as well.
    Before I pull the trigger is there anything better that ticks the above boxes for similar, or slightly more money ?
    I was tempted by the Line 6 Pod XT/Version 2 but they appear to be mains powered only ?
  • The Zoom G3 is well regarded - can be battery powered and includes a looper and rhythm patterns. Does all the Pod does and more (and more up to date processing/modelling)
    I like the G3XN I already have, but can"t see the point of getting another one, minus the pedal, just to have the advantage of battery powered instead of mains (I think that is about the only difference ?) TBH.
  • I've had a korg PX4 for long time. A couple on ebay. 
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited October 2018
    Be aware that Pocket Pods can have very noisy headphone output - I got one about 10 years ago and tried to live with the noise, but I just stopped using it after a few months. Seemed to be very "uninsulated" - you could hear the buzz/whine noise change as you moved the guitar around.

None of this was a problem for the USB or amp outputs - they were nice and quiet - so it'd still make a decent gig backup.

Might not be so bad with clean tones (I tend to play higher-gain stuff), but I'd hesitate to recommend one.

I now use a Palmer Pocket Amp Mk 2, which I'm very happy with so far.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    edited October 2018
    I found the pocket pod really cumbersome. 
    It's easy enough to use but sat on the sofa with all the cables and what not just didn't work for me. 
    It was a little noisey too
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.