Shell voicing......does anyone use them other than 'jazzers'?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited October 2018
    Clarky said:
    can't say I've heard that term before..
    but yes I use them often in all styles of music that I play..
    especially though in funk where I'm keep on staying on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings
    and example of this would be to play a G maj7 when the bass is playing E
    the result between us is Em9

I'd finger the G maj7
    1st string 14th fret
    2nd and 3rd strings on the 12th fret
    I love this stuff! Question, though - would it be an Em9 if the D wasn't played, which adds the flat 7 (obviously you could play 4th string, 12th fret, for your D and still keep the Gma7) or, without the D, would it be an Em plus 9? 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Clarky said:

It is a common name for them- particularly in jazzer circles.

I use the most of the time- because I'm often playing with keyboard and horn players.
    I like to use them, particularly as I really only play at home and throwing a shell chord in there sorts of re-emphasises the path that I'm on, and acts as a bit of a springboard for the next few notes. 
    Call me Dave.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    DB1 said:
    Clarky said:
    but yes I use them often in all styles of music that I play..
    especially though in funk where I'm keep on staying on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings
    and example of this would be to play a G maj7 when the bass is playing E
    the result between us is Em9

I'd finger the G maj7
    1st string 14th fret
    2nd and 3rd strings on the 12th fret
    I love this stuff! Question, though - would it be an Em9 if the D wasn't played, which adds the flat 7 (obviously you could play 4th string, 12th fret, for your D and still keep the Gma7) or, without the D, would it be an Em plus 9? 
    you're quite right.. that voicing makes the result Em add9
    continue the 12fret '1/2 barre' onto the 4th string and you get the full Em9
    which is probably why my lil' brain think of this fingering and context as being Em9, even though the target strings are really 1st thru 3rd [cos the 1/2 barre I use covers the 4th string anyhow]..

another gorgeous variation of this that I use in funky ballads is to play the Gmaj7 using the Amaj7 fingering up on the 10th fret when the bass plays E
    although the open E strings are 'in', I'll only play the inner 4 strings and leave the E to the bassist
    sounds wonderful...
    play every note as if it were your first
    edited October 2018

octatonic said:
    Clarky said:

It is a common name for them- particularly in jazzer circles.

I use the most of the time- because I'm often playing with keyboard and horn players.
    I don't really do jazzer circles,, they tend not to like long haired goons with Marshalls and pointy guitars like me... lol..
    which explains why I'm not familiar with the term..

that said, I use small 2 to 4 string chords all the time.. power chords for one.. lol..
    in arrangements where I play across all 6 strings [ballady / clean stuff] I tend to use them around chord changes either before or just after to make things more interesting..
    or to create a small melody / inject some movement when I'm stuck on a single chord for many bars
    Great stuff - I don't play funk, but I do like funk. Sounds nice, that. I'm fascinated with this stuff really (although quite new to it) and one of the things that fills me with wonder is the 'T-Bone' style 9th chord - say A9, using the inner four strings, C#, G, B and E, with no root. It also doubles as an Em6, a Cmaj7 b9, a G6b5, etc (forgive me if I've got anything wrong, I'm at work and can't picture the bloody fretboard!)
    Call me Dave.
    DB1 said:
    Great stuff - I don't play funk, but I do like funk. Sounds nice, that. I'm fascinated with this stuff really (although quite new to it) and one of the things that fills me with wonder is the 'T-Bone' style 9th chord - say A9, using the inner four strings, C#, G, B and E, with no root. It also doubles as an Em6, a Cmaj7 b9, a G6b5, etc (forgive me if I've got anything wrong, I'm at work and can't picture the bloody fretboard!)
    what some folks miss, is that when playing in an ensemble, the guitar is rarely the instrument playing the lowest sounding notes..
    and so they'll voice chords that include the bass notes
    sure this is perfectly fine..
    but in some situations they're missing a trick because you can use simple triads to extend the chord or create some quite interesting voicings
    also, using fewer notes overall can strip 'clutter' and provide more space for the melody whist still enabling the coloration of the chord to sound

E 11
    Bass plays E, guitar plays a D triad
    ok so there's no maj 3rd in there but that can be implied by the overall tonality of the piece and melody