Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Richard Thompson

What's Hot
jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
edited October 2018 in Guitar
So me of you will know i'm a massive fan of richard thompson.. i love his acoustic and electric playing as well as his songwriting ... i was lucky i got meet him on Wednesday at his gig in Bath which was a big thrill for me! has anyone else caught him on his 13 rivers tour? 
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    edited October 2018
    Awesome!! Minus the shirt - God damn Teles.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Yes! Such a great player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @DannyP ; agree'd! he has his own style don't sound like anyone which in my opinion is the ultimate goal as a musician.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    edited October 2018
    An absolute master player and songwriter, and I've never heard anyone disagree with that assessment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Nice one.

I saw him on Jools Holland ages ago and it always stuck in my head but it wasn't til very recently I found out he's from Fairport Convention whome I've always been a fan of.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    Seeing him in a couple of weeks. Girlfriend's parents are massive fans.
  • What a body of work he has over the years.  Legendary.  Deserves a better guitar than a tele in a T shirt picture - Havent you got an R8 T shirt
  • An absolute master player and songwriter, and I've never heard anyone disagree with that assessment.
    I don't know if I'm necessarily disagreeing with the assessment, but he's never done much for me and I think I've given him a pretty fair crack of the whip (owned the 3 cd restrospective at as well as a handful of Fairport and/or solo and Richard and Linda stuff). 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6666
    I went to see him when he played at Brighton Dome last October 11th. Superb concert. Thanks to a forum member I ended up with three tickets... took my wife and she loved it too! 
  • An absolute master player and songwriter, and I've never heard anyone disagree with that assessment.
    I don't know if I'm necessarily disagreeing with the assessment, but he's never done much for me and I think I've given him a pretty fair crack of the whip (owned the 3 cd restrospective at as well as a handful of Fairport and/or solo and Richard and Linda stuff). 

I knew I'd find you one day! ;-)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    has anyone else caught him on his 13 rivers tour? 
    No but I did see his 2014 tour, promoting the album, "Electric".
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I saw him many years ago and he guested on a Crowded House album - a great guitarist!

• merlin said:
    I went to see him when he played at Brighton Dome last October 11th. Superb concert. Thanks to a forum member I ended up with three tickets... took my wife and she loved it too! 
    Me too! It was fab. We were in Brighton for a few days (anniversary trip).

I'm off to the De La Warr Pavilion for the 1st Nov gig (my birthday). We're doing a trip from Christchurch and staying over in a posh B&B for the night. 

I've seen RT at least a dozen times solo and five or six with a band. The current trio is a fine unit and I'm really looking forward to seeing them again. I'm enjoying the writing and playing on the new album, too.

Nice to be supporting a chap in his late 60s who is still creating new stuff rather than being his own tribute act. 

I'd say the same about Van Der Graaf Generator, too - but probably not enough guitar playing for this forum. (Except I think I just did...) 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited October 2018
    I’m a massive fan too - saw him at an outdoor gig at Gawsworth Hall in August and will be at the Manchester Opera House tomorrow night. 

His playing at Gawsworth was on another level compared to anything I’ve seen him do before - sometimes elegant and melodic - sometimes really dissonant and angular. He’s a true original - and at nearly 70 seems to just get better and better. Can’t wait for tomorrow....
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    edited October 2018
    I saw him on the Electric tour.  I love his playing and his general approach to life and "the business".  I also really liked the way he related to the audience - very natural, which included a kind of shyness and awkwardness as well as being at ease with where he's got to (if that makes any sense?).  There's something about his voice though that I find hard to access. I really liked that album Family he did with his children.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3058
    I think I'm just down to him and Beck where I have absolutely no idea how he does some of his things. It's a lovely feeling when he takes a solo and it picks you up and puts you down in an unexpected place. Lovely storytelling as well. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
    I’ve seen him a couple of times but not recently. Great player with very much his own style, instantly recognisable. Personally I prefer him playing electric with a band, but he’s still pretty cool solo and acoustic. 
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Couldn't agree more with all the praise, this has always been my favourite:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    What's his best solo album?