In Memoriam Alan Murphy, died 19 October 1989

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    west said:
    There was a touching pictorial tribute to alan on one of kates albums i think just a picture of a guitar on a chair .....  i cant find it,  if anyone knows what im talking about please put it up ... its quite poignant ....
    She names checks Alan toward the end of Moments of Pleasure...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    thanks jw , "smurph " ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited October 2018
    Great to read these tributes to Alan Murphy, an astounding player, I still have that SFX cd, and also saw him at the Cricketers, Kennington Oval. He was playing a Squier Strat with stock pickups through his Superchamp/Boogie setup. I remember I stupidly asked him how he got such a great sound, and he replied that he didn't know. The perfect answer to a silly question.

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Great to see this thread. I know his playing from Kate Bush primarily... check out his solo from Violin (from Never For Ever.) His death from AIDS was one of the reasons Bush took so long making The Red Shoes. She was heavily affected by it.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Anniversary bump
  • Thanks for the reminder.
    It's not a competition.
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    edited June 2020

Huge AM fan here.  The outro solo breaks on Man is gorgeous for the vocal quality.  He seems to be managing to emulate different kinds of singing technique - I can hear chest and head.

[This space for rent]