Headphones suggestions for home practice ?

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 195
As the title.
The headphones will be used either with a Katana 50 or something like a pocket Pod.
Budget up to say about £100.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited October 2018
    Audio technica ath. Buy whichever model fits your budget
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    Most decent quality headphones have a very wide frequency range so it probably comes down to comfort more than anything else.

I'd avoid headphones where you're paying more for style over substance but otherwise just go with whatever you find most comfortable.

FWIW I've always been a fan of Sennheiser and Sony. They just seem to fit my fat head better.
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I have a pair of Sennheiser HD500 headphones (10 years old now) which are very good for hi-fi use but my guitar teacher has said they are not very good for guitar frequencies ?
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    I got some Sennheiser HD600 on eBay for £120, and ordered some new earpads and a headband from China. Brilliant headphones, very neutral.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    edited October 2018
    Slimbert said:
    Most decent quality headphones have a very wide frequency range so it probably comes down to comfort more than anything else.
    If you are using them for sound design work, then it will depend on how accurate the frequency response curve is. Closer to neutral is better, though you can get software such as Sonarworks to help flatten the response.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    I too am looking for headphones and these seem to get good reviews at what looks a reasonable cost. 

Although some see it is a minus point, I like that fact that they appear to have a very long, thick chord, as I wouldn't want to accidentally pull it out when po-go'ing around the living room to some Sex Pistols number.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30X-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00HVLUQW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1539968678&sr=1-1&keywords=Audio+Technica+m30x
    edited October 2018
    Shrews said:
    I too am looking for headphones and these seem to get good reviews at what looks a reasonable cost. 

Although some see it is a minus point, I like that fact that they appear to have a very long, thick chord, as I wouldn't want to accidentally pull it out when po-go'ing around the living room to some Sex Pistols number.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30X-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00HVLUQW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1539968678&sr=1-1&keywords=Audio+Technica+m30x
    I would recommend the M50x at just over £100, they are very good for the price.
    Freebird said:
    Slimbert said:
    If you are using them for sound design work, then it will depend on how accurate the frequency response curve is. Closer to neutral is better, though you can get software such as Sonarworks to help flatten the response.
    I
     understand about the need for flat EQ for studio work/mixing/etc but the OP said these are for home/bedroom practicing (I'd guess out of a board or multi effect unit like a Helix) so I think comfort, and maybe a longer cord, are more important. Obviously that's a guess as I'm not the OP but that's what I'd be looking for.

Flat responce studio headphones are a whole other ball game.
  • Hi mate,
    I'm using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. I've got them like 8 years now, they never failed, unlike Sennheiser for example.
    Sound quality is much much better (my subjective opinion) than Sennheiser and others.
    They play very clear, they comfortable and are also closed so you won't bother anyone while practising at home in the night.
    Slimbert said:
    I understand about the need for flat EQ for studio work/mixing/etc but the OP said these are for home/bedroom practicing (I'd guess out of a board or multi effect unit like a Helix) so I think comfort, and maybe a longer cord, are more important. Obviously that's a guess as I'm not the OP but that's what I'd be looking for.

Yeah, but you've still got to dial-in your tones, and make presets, etc..  ;)
    Freebird said:
    Slimbert said:
    I understand about the need for flat EQ for studio work/mixing/etc but the OP said these are for home/bedroom practicing (I'd guess out of a board or multi effect unit like a Helix) so I think comfort, and maybe a longer cord, are more important. Obviously that's a guess as I'm not the OP but that's what I'd be looking for.

Yeah, but you've still got to dial-in your tones, and make presets, etc..  ;)
    Why?

I've never heard of anyone using flat response studio headphones to practice guitar at home. I've worked as and been involved with professional level guitarists for over 25 years and I've never once heard of that.

Practicing is about playing not fiddling with settings.

If you're tuning a Helix then that's different but that isn't what the OP asked for.

I'm not sure why you're struggling with "home practice". It's weird.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    I can appreciate the need for flat response headphones. When I'm playing silently at home when my son is in bed, I'm using some Sony headphones which boost the bass, so I can't dial in a level or 'natural' tone, I have to account for the bass of the headphones which means changing pedal and amp settings again when I go to practice. So I'd much rather have headphones that offer a balanced response than anything else. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    DT770's are a good shout- the only downside is the fixed cable.
    The Audio Technica AT's have a removable cable, which is nice, but I don't find them as comfortable.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Audio Technica M40x are brilliant for the cash - way better than anynofbteb Sennhiesers I’ve had in the same price range. 
  • octatonic said:
    DT770's are a good shout- the only downside is the fixed cable.
    The Audio Technica AT's have a removable cable, which is nice, but I don't find them as comfortable.
    My sentiments exactly.

I slightly prefer the sound of the M50x’s I have but ultimately don’t use them and let other people use them when tracking. I’d rather be comfortable.
    edited October 2018
    Slimbert said:
    Why?

I've never heard of anyone using flat response studio headphones to practice guitar at home. I've worked as and been involved with professional level guitarists for over 25 years and I've never once heard of that.

Practicing is about playing not fiddling with settings.

If you're tuning a Helix then that's different but that isn't what the OP asked for.

I'm not sure why you're struggling with "home practice". It's weird.
    Not really weird, I've got ATH-M50x and Sennheiser HD600 headphones, and the HD600's sound much better with my Kemper, and being open back you also don't get as much "in the head" sound. Not saying the M50x are bad, I use them for tracking and listening to music when I want a bit of hyped bass.
    edited October 2018
    octatonic said:
    They also make your ears sweat with prolonged use, so I can't use them for extended periods of time.
  • Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    They also make your ears sweat with prolonged use, so I can't use them for extended periods of time.
    They press on my glasses, after a while it stops being comfortable. The pads on the Beyers are more cushioned.

YMMV, both are good headphones 
    edited October 2018
    I didn't realize the Katana was an amp, I thought it was an amp modeller. In that case the ATH-M30x or M40x will be fine. If you ever move into Fractal/Kemper territory, then I would suggest getting something a little better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited October 2018
    I use AKG K702s, work great with my amp but they require a headphone amp to drive properly and sound good. 

You could try ATH-AD500X for £96 on Amazon, or £130 for the AD700X