Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2431

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    dindude said:
    A few weeks on after first listen and I’m a little obsessed by Ben Howard Noonday Dream, it’s a masterpiece of an album. It’s quite inaccessible considering he was once considered Ed Sheeran’s peer! - it just sounds so uncompromising.

This is one of the more inaccessible ones, but by goodness, stick some headphones on and let it wrap around you..

I’ll have this marked as my funeral song until something more beautiful comes along!

https://youtu.be/_tdn4Dt6QqQ

I love how Ben Howard is just doing whatever the f**K he wants. He had a really popular first album, then made a really dark, effecty second album, and now he's basically made a recent This Will Destroy You album. Amazing stuff. 

I've been listening to Nels Cline a lot after a recent Earthquaker Devices interview. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    joetele said:
    dindude said:
    A few weeks on after first listen and I’m a little obsessed by Ben Howard Noonday Dream, it’s a masterpiece of an album. It’s quite inaccessible considering he was once considered Ed Sheeran’s peer! - it just sounds so uncompromising.

This is one of the more inaccessible ones, but by goodness, stick some headphones on and let it wrap around you..

I’ll have this marked as my funeral song until something more beautiful comes along!

I love how Ben Howard is just doing whatever the f**K he wants. He had a really popular first album, then made a really dark, effecty second album, and now he's basically made a recent This Will Destroy You album. Amazing stuff. 
    Totally, he’s basically “doing a Radiohead”, but with quality control!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    edited October 2018

Loving Kurt Vile's new album. Don't think he has made a bad album actually. Pretty cool recent Pitchfork performance here too:

Also, how about this from a few years back. Awesome song. Can't remember the last time I was aroused by drumming.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pay day - and five albums bought from iTunes this evening - 

(in no order)

MEIN - MEIN (any one heard this? its a 'supergroup' with members of the Horrors and the Black Angels)
    Bob Marley - Catch a fire - I think its his best album and ive lost my CD 
    Primal Scream - Vanishing Point - amazing record again Ive lost my CD!
    Rico Rodriguez - Man from Warieka (taken my time getting to this - its utter class - soooo funky)
    Andrew Weatherall - Qualia - a more 'live' sounding record - Mr Weatherall is in a bit of form recently I think 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Pay day - and five albums bought from iTunes this evening - 

(in no order)

MEIN - MEIN (any one heard this? its a 'supergroup' with members of the Horrors and the Black Angels)
    Rico Rodriguez - Man from Warieka (taken my time getting to this - its utter class - soooo funky)
    Andrew Weatherall - Qualia - a more 'live' sounding record - Mr Weatherall is in a bit of form recently I think 
    I’ve got Take Five on a compilation album which is a bonus track on the cd version of Man From Warieka by the look of it ( sorry, bit convoluted). It’s really good so that should be an album I should get into. Our image of Rico now is a bit doddery in his latter years or as a backing musician but back in the 70s he was clearly at the top of his game. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Kiss me, Kiss me, Kiss me by the Cure, first listen. What a bloody great album.

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Today:

A load of Tadd Dameron - specifically, https://www.allmusic.com/album/1947-1949-mw0000068816

Some viol consort music (Jordi Savall).

and Mark Lettieri, specifically, the Spark and Echo album, and this solo version of one of the tracks, which I am messing about learning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLeC2xkPXvo   bits of it are nice and easy, and bits are deceptively hard.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    CloudNine said:
    Also, how about this from a few years back. Awesome song. Can't remember the last time I was aroused by drumming.

What's going on with that drumstick? I've watched it at least 10 times in slow motion and I still can't figure it out!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    CloudNine said:
    Loving Kurt Vile's new album. Don't think he has made a bad album actually. Pretty cool recent Pitchfork performance here too:

Wow, some amazing tones going on there! UK tour imminent..

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Freebird said:
    CloudNine said:
    Loving Kurt Vile's new album. Don't think he has made a bad album actually. Pretty cool recent Pitchfork performance here too

Wow, some amazing tones going on there! UK tour imminent..

Tickets already bought for Glasgow. Can't wait!!
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Pay day - and five albums bought from iTunes this evening - 

(in no order)

I’ve got Take Five on a compilation album which is a bonus track on the cd version of Man From Warieka by the look of it ( sorry, bit convoluted). It’s really good so that should be an album I should get into. Our image of Rico now is a bit doddery in his latter years or as a backing musician but back in the 70s he was clearly at the top of his game. 
    Yes - that record, Man from Warieka, is seriously good. I honestly believe it stands up to anything of its ilk released at the time - the band is superb. I am going to have a look at some more of his stuff. 
  • I'm on a total Teenage Fanclub trip right now. Fuelled by going to see them last night in Glasgow where they played all of Grand Prix and Songs From Northern Britain back to back, it was really bloody good... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    Been trying to learn this song with the tutorial below.  It has the barre chord Bm and I am now starting to get it (at last!)

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Dweezil Zappa is an absolute beast of a guitarist.

• I'm on a total Teenage Fanclub trip right now. Fuelled by going to see them last night in Glasgow where they played all of Grand Prix and Songs From Northern Britain back to back, it was really bloody good... 
    Man that must have been a great gig. I’ve loved TFC since bandwagonesque came out but only seen them once. Real shame about Gerry leaving, sob. 
  • Between Tides by Roger Eno. Minimal, classical loveliness from Brian's less famous brother.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • I’m trawling through the Cure’s back catalogue, something I should have done years ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom