Fender bass with flat wounds what years were they standard?

KoaKoa Frets: 120
In other words when did new Fender basses switch over to being supplied as new with round wound strings?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Varies from model to model.

The 1983 American Standard basses (and the Deluxe versions) definitely came with roundwound strings. 

I cannot remember what the AVRI P and J Basses came with. (Shoulda been flatwounds!)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    It was in the 70's, though I can't remember the actual year.  I know that Rickenbacker shipped with flat wounds and a warning that using round wounds would damage the fingerboard and frets and was not recommended, through the mid 70's.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was quite late on in the 70s - CBS-Fender management were not known for being on the ball... it was 1977 before they fitted the Strat with a 5-way switch, and the amps were never really modernised at all - they were still going for maximum clean headroom, reverb and tremolo right up to 1982.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein