Best budget tape delay pedal

joetelejoetele Frets: 947
Ok chaps, I already have a couple of delay pedals, one with tape setting but they'll be used earlier in the chain, so I'm looking for a reasonably priced tape delay to go after reverb and looper - don't mind if it's a multifunction delay with tape setting...

(Of course I could just buy another Digitech Digidelay I suppose) 

What say/have ye?
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    The Belle Epoch is nice. And can be had for reasonable money used. 

For pedal order, I would suggest delay, then reverb, then looper. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    TheMarlin said:
    The Belle Epoch is nice. And can be had for reasonable money used. 

For pedal order, I would suggest delay, then reverb, then looper. 
    Thanks. I know what the standard pedal order should be - I just like changing the order for different effects. Using effects after loops can get some fantastic sounds. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    edited October 2018
    Depends what you mean by reasonably priced...

There's a the Boss RE-20 which is excellent but costs about £150 second hand. Recently a Nux pseudo-clone of it has appeared which is half that price and is apparently quite good but I've not tried one. 

Cheaper, you can pick up the Digitech Obscura which has a nice tape mode on it. 

Also, shout out to the DOD Rubberneck which Thomann are selling very cheap at £110 right now. Not strictly a tape delay but anyone buying an analogue voiced delay right now should check them out. 
    Depends what you mean by reasonably priced...

There's a the Boss RE-20 which is excellent but costs about £150 second hand. Recently a Nux pseudo-clone of it has appeared which is half that price and is apparently quite good but I've not tried one. 

Cheaper, you can pick up the Digitech Obscura which has a nice tape mode on it. 

Also, shout out to the DOD Rubberneck which Thomann are selling very cheap at £110 right now. Not strictly a tape delay but anyone buying an analogue voiced delay right now should check them out. 
    Cheers Unc - I'm good for analog delay, just need the tape setting to stretch reverbs out and create ambient pads. I think maybe another Digidelay would be good as it's got a great tape setting plus the extra looper function. I've got one after a Ditto X2 at the moment to mess with the loops but I'm moving it back to the middle of the board rather than at the end, so need another. 
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 458
    The tape setting on the Marshall Echohead is fantastic - it's not adjustable beyond time, feedback etc but it sits really well in the mix. I think they can be had for about £30-40 used. 
    jpttaylor said:
    The tape setting on the Marshall Echohead is fantastic - it's not adjustable beyond time, feedback etc but it sits really well in the mix. I think they can be had for about £30-40 used. 
    I'm always intrigued by these Marshall pedals but after the first one I owned gave up the ghost after a week, I never really went back to them. Which is a shame because they have tons of useful sounds. 
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 458
    joetele said:
    jpttaylor said:
    I'm always intrigued by these Marshall pedals but after the first one I owned gave up the ghost after a week, I never really went back to them. Which is a shame because they have tons of useful sounds. 
    I'd read the same when I bought mine actually, but being a bit naive about pedal reliability, it didn't put me off - I can only go on personal experience, but my Echohead and Reflector have been running solidly for about 8 years now.
    jpttaylor said:
    joetele said:
    jpttaylor said:
    I'd read the same when I bought mine actually, but being a bit naive about pedal reliability, it didn't put me off - I can only go on personal experience, but my Echohead and Reflector have been running solidly for about 8 years now.
    I'm definitely tempted - I did have a Reflector before, but it was one of the early ones. You'd hope they'd improved it by now. 
  • Ibanez DE-7 in the echo setting. It's a bit of a cult classic. One on ebay at the moment - no affiliation.
    telehack said:
    Ibanez DE-7 in the echo setting. It's a bit of a cult classic. One on ebay at the moment - no affiliation.
    I ordered one of these from Ebay before and it didn't work when it turned up - (I don't have much luck) but I do plan to grab another, as they're great pedals. I miss the weird stuff from the 90s like Ibanez and DOD (and earlier Digitech stuff) 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Foxgear Echosex Baby? In Andertons for £100, someone has one on here for £80 nearly new. I guess not strictly a tape style delay as the Echorec ( from which it is very distantly derived) had a magnetic drum rather than tape but in that ballpark and it looks shiny. SHINY!

The NUX Tape Core is the Boss tribute pedal but doesn't seem to quite do the crazy stuff ( may not be a problem) and you need to plug it into the online editor to use the built in reverb and do more detailed changes).   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    The Obscura really is good. I now have a Skreddy Echo beside it for more ambient delay but for simple tape delay the Obscura is really good.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    You can get really close to Skreddy with the Obscura, too, for ambient stuff. Highly recommended.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Nux Tape Core is cheap and cheerful.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    DannyP said:
    Nux Tape Core is cheap and cheerful.
    Seconded. 
    Thanks for the replies, all - will be investigating once I've sold a couple more pedals 
  • solarsolar Frets: 166
    joetele said:
    telehack said:
    Ibanez DE-7 in the echo setting. It's a bit of a cult classic. One on ebay at the moment - no affiliation.
    I ordered one of these from Ebay before and it didn't work when it turned up - (I don't have much luck) but I do plan to grab another, as they're great pedals. I miss the weird stuff from the 90s like Ibanez and DOD (and earlier Digitech stuff) 
    I have one for sale in the classifieds if you’re still looking! :)
    solar said:
    joetele said:
    telehack said:
    I have one for sale in the classifieds if you’re still looking! :)
    Cheers dude - I've had my eye on it for sure, just need to sell some stuff first. 
  • solarsolar Frets: 166
    I'll chuck in another good option - Line 6 Echo Park. Great sounding tape delay - especially useful if you want to leave it on all the time because the combination tap tempo and bypass footswitch is godawful.
    solar said:
    I'll chuck in another good option - Line 6 Echo Park. Great sounding tape delay - especially useful if you want to leave it on all the time because the combination tap tempo and bypass footswitch is godawful.
    Yeah, I've been intrigued by a lot of those old Line 6 pedals. Those and the ibanez Tone Lok ones remind me of when I started really getting into pedals.