Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Richard Thompson

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I'll be a mild dissenting voice, I love his electric playing, but his songwriting and his singing don't do much for me. I've seen him live both with and without a band and found it all just a bit dull and Dadrock-y.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Stuckfast said:
    I'll be a mild dissenting voice, I love his electric playing, but his songwriting and his singing don't do much for me. I've seen him live both with and without a band and found it all just a bit dull and Dadrock-y.
    Dad folky perhaps - but really, neither his songs or playing are mainstream enough to fit your description. He might be 69 years of age - but he’s about as far away from musical complacency as it’s possible to be....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Stuckfast said:
    Dad folky perhaps - but really, neither his songs or playing are mainstream enough to fit your description. He might be 69 years of age - but he’s about as far away from musical complacency as it’s possible to be....
    Couldn’t agree more.

Dad folky wise though, I’ve been trying hard to nail Beeswing acoustically today. No decent YouTube lessons on this song but just enough to pick it up and have a fiddle whilst listening to the record. Drop D, capo 2nd fret, a hope and a prayer. No difficult chords or fingerstyle but his phrasing is gonna take time. I’ll get there  ;)
  • Saw RT in Bexhill last night. Totally immersive and knocked spots off the King Crimson gig I went on Monday night. Michael and Tara’s are the perfect supporting musicians for his trio. 

Highlights for me were the highly-charged Can't Win and beautiful renditions of Persuasion and Beeswing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Yeah, he's amazing - got into him through Mirror Blue, then everything since plus his back catalogue.

He played Cliffs Pavilion in Saafend last week, but I was travelling home from holiday and couldn't make it - guttted.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Folk rock or rocky folk! Solo from 4mins with a wah!

The man has a touch.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
    Folk rock or rocky folk! Solo from 4mins with a wah!

The man has a touch.
    Bizarrely that really works - even vocally!

Thanks for posting @ESBlonde ;
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    On the drive home there I was listening to a decent cover of my favourite Richard Thompson song by Greta Van Fleet: