Waves virtual mix room

Has anyone used this:  https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx ?

I'm somewhat sceptical, but I mix on headphones a lot so perhaps it might be of use?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    I've tried it, but CanOpener is my weapon of choice, and I also use Sonarworks too.

https://goodhertz.co/canopener-studio

https://sonarworks.com/reference
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Interesting - never heard of the can opener software. So you use this when mixing and do you have it on all the time or just to reference?

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I use Sonarworks- it is excellent.

So you'd use Sonarworks to adjust your headphones and CanOpener to add in the crossfeed? It makes sense to use both together?
    edited October 2018
    domforr said:
    Interesting - never heard of the can opener software. So you use this when mixing and do you have it on all the time or just to reference?

I use Reaper, so I have placed them both in the FX Monitoring section, and they are mostly always on, but easy enough to flip off and on.

When listening to music I use Foobar2000 with the Meier Crosstree add-on component.

edited October 2018
    domforr said:
    So you'd use Sonarworks to adjust your headphones and CanOpener to add in the crossfeed? It makes sense to use both together?
    Yep, but it's also important to listen to a lot of reference material through your DAW, so that you can "learn" the sound of your headphones, if that makes any sense?

I usually have a second project window open with selected reference tracks, or you can stick one in the main project and solo/mute it.
    Yes, makes sense. I suppose the best solution would be to demo them and see how they work. Slightly nervous about introducing a new tool into the process mid mix though, especially if I have to 'learn' the new sound.
    edited October 2018
    domforr said:
    Yes, makes sense. I suppose the best solution would be to demo them and see how they work. Slightly nervous about introducing a new tool into the process mid mix though, especially if I have to 'learn' the new sound.
    The intention is to make your headphones respond more like studio monitors, so that your mix can translate better.

Like I said, I have a crossfeed plugin in my audio player for headphone use, I can't live without it 
    Would the Boz digital Mongoose plugin do something similar to a crossfeed plugin?  As I understand it, it makes your low-end mono which gets rid of some of the left/right ear issues from hard panning.

edited October 2018
    domforr said:
    Would the Boz digital Mongoose plugin do something similar to a crossfeed plugin?  As I understand it, it makes your low-end mono which gets rid of some of the left/right ear issues from hard panning.

That's a Mono Maker plugin, so not the same thing. It just narrows the low end frequencies by placing them in the center of the mix to tighten up the bass. Klanghelm has included this functionality in their very useful Deluxe VU meter. It is also a permanent effect, whereas the crossfeed type plugins are only used for monitoring purposes, to mimic the experience of listening to real speakers.
    Okay, thanks. Good to know.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Midnight walrus canz3d... it’s free... just remove it from your master track before you bounce!...
    poopot said:
    Midnight walrus canz3d... it’s free... just remove it from your master track before you bounce!...
    Thanks, free is always good. Does it stand up to the competition?
    edited October 2018
    poopot said:
    If you use Reaper, they have a Monitoring FX section which prevents that from happening 
    edited October 2018
    So, I've now demoed the Sonarworks Reference, the CanOpener and the walrus canz3d. I can hear some slight difference with the two crosstalk plugins - whether its better or not I couldn't really say - it just sounds different. I'll give these two the benefit of the doubt, even though it's a subtle difference.

The one that rather bemused me though was the Sonarworks. I loaded up the calibration for my Shure SRH1440 headphones expecting to hear some magic - but it sounded awful. Flat, muddy and just horrible. Maybe this is what it should sound like without any flattering eq bumps and I'm probably very used to my headphones 'natural' sound, but it really wasn't an appealing sound at all. Perhaps I'll get used to it and maybe the idea is that having it sound bad will improve your mixes? Not really sure.
    edited October 2018
    Sounds about right  The response needs to be flat so that it will translate better on other systems. That's why I recommend working with reference tracks to compare the kind of sound you are aiming for. Try mixing something flat and then play it back on another audio system.

Regarding CanOpener, I usually use it on the default setting, I definately don't engage any EQ. Also don't forget to check your mix in mono as you go along.
    Okay, sounds like my ears have been spoilt by the flattering earphones! I'll give it a go and see if it helps with translating to other systems (which to be honest has been an issue).  Good advice about leaving eq etc off CanOpener and just leaving it on default. 
    Just a question about Sonarworks - would you leave this on all the time when mixing or just as a reference to check on now and again?
    domforr said:
    Just a question about Sonarworks - would you leave this on all the time when mixing or just as a reference to check on now and again?
    You will get better results if you leave it on, as you won't be compensating for the hyped frequencies, so it's less guesswork. 
    Thanks. Another option here: https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_morphit_v1.html