Over the top Ebay Guitar description with a dent

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fools and their money etc...

I do appreciate that when we’re sellers of something we all want to present things in their best light but I see so many posts on eBay and here tbh where the hyperbole just makes me die.. as for the ‘vintage’ moniker just kill me plz..

Si
  • I wonder if it comes with the chain included so you can use it as a boat anchor if needed? The EKO 12 was hands down one of the heaviest lump of guitars I ever played. Decent sound tbf but felt like an instrument without much finesse. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I think he'd be better off selling his Martins and Gibsons as they'd probably fetch more money and he prefers this one to them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I think it looks alright to be honest, I wouldn't give him 300 quid for it though. 200 maybe.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    edited October 2018
    To be fair, he does describe it as a hole and not a dent.

But he goes on to say it will be easy to repair as well, which is certainly not true because it's splintered the ply quite badly. It won't affect it structurally or sound-wise though.

These are quite nice guitars and definitely worth a lot more than £100 - usually more like £150-£250, at least without the hole. How much difference that makes I'm not sure, but I'd guess it will still go for up to £150. £300 is far too much though.

Not sure where he gets the idea that the 1970s is over 70 years ago either... I was born in the 1960s not the 70s and I'm only 51!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    edited October 2018
    ICBM said:
    To be fair, he does describe it as a hole and not a dent.

But he goes on to say it will be easy to repair as well, which is certainly not true because it's splintered the ply quite badly. It won't affect it structurally or sound-wise though.

These are quite nice guitars and definitely worth a lot more than £100 - usually more like £150-£250, at least without the hole. How much difference that makes I'm not sure, but I'd guess it will still go for up to £150. £300 is far too much though.

Not sure where he gets the idea that the 1970s is over 70 years ago either... I was born in the 1960s not the 70s and I'm only 51!
    Perhaps he means the wood was lying around for 20+ years before it was made into a guitar.

No idea how he would know that though.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited October 2018
    He says in the listing that the wood was 20 years old before being made into a guitar in the 70s. No idea where he gets that info from and I doubt it’s true anyway, I don’t think Eko we’re renowned for using vintage plywood. :)

These were the generic acoustics of my youth, £40 worth of reasonable playing/sounding guitar for those of us who could only dream of owning a Martin or Gibson. Surprised they fetch the kind of money @ICBM is talking about, they aren’t that great. Maybe it’s all us oldies on nostalgia trips that’s driving the prices up? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    boogieman said:

These were the generic acoustics of my youth, £40 worth of reasonable playing/sounding guitar for those of us who could only dream of owning a Martin or Gibson. Surprised they fetch the kind of money @ICBM is talking about, they aren’t that great. Maybe it’s all us oldies on nostalgia trips that’s driving the prices up? 
    Most of them sound pretty decent for an old ply guitar - and they can almost always be set up to play really nicely because they have both an adjustable bridge saddle and a bolt-on neck which can be shimmed - and as you say they also have a strong nostalgia factor for those of us of a certain age :). Add that all together and you can get £250 for a perfect example.

The singer I work with has the 6-string version, which is just as good - we've gigged with it several times with a soundhole pickup, in places I wouldn't necessarily want to take my Gibson Dove, as they're very robust... that one must have been hit pretty hard to make a hole like that. It's always sounded fine.

What else can you buy for less than that which sounds better and is as cool? (OK, we won't mention the weight ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Ah yes, not exactly light are they are? £250 though, oof... I still think of them as a cheap guitar. I should have bought a few in the 70s and mothballed them. :)

I’ve still got an Eros 12 string from the same era and that’s a heavy old beast as well. Similar ply construction but with a set neck, aluminium nut and adjustable bridge. 
  • boogieman said:
    He says in the listing that the wood was 20 years old before being made into a guitar in the 70s. No idea where he gets that info from and I doubt it’s true anyway, I don’t think Eko we’re renowned for using vintage plywood. :)

Surely it would have taken the tree 20 years to grow befor they cut it down so technically he’s probably right
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk