Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So... what about Jet City?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• Lebarque said:
    Have they stopped doing combos? Shame
    I don't think so, they just don't sell particularly well over here so there's no point stocking them in the UK store.

Also, I edited my run-down post with a bit more info.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Lebarque said:
    Have they stopped doing combos? Shame
    I know someone with a combo for sale if you’re interested. I think it’s the 22, but I can check.

My honest opinion is that they don’t sound anywhere near as good as the head and cab, and I’m a ‘combo guy’ normally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 121
    edited October 2018
    I’m really surprised that these amps aren’t more popular. I’ve used mine several times at rehearsal now and it has made me park my Mesa for the time being. It really does sound that good (to me).

This thing cost me £180 second hand. £180!! 20 watts is fine volume wise (we do have a very loud drummer) and it sounds amazing for that price.

I suppose the only “drawback” is the shared EQ for clean and distorted channels, but I found it so easy to dial in a sound, that it isn’t a problem for me.

Incredible value for money.
  • I’m really surprised that these amps aren’t more popular. I’ve used mine several times at rehearsal now and it has made me park my Mesa for the time being. It really does sound that good (to me).
    I think it's the fact that people think they're "budget" in every sense just because they're cheap. Everybody who's had one knows they're not, but there's only so much you can do unfortunately.

I put a black grille on the front of my JCA50H, and I often get people asking me if it's a boutique amp. It totally blows their brains when I tell them how much they actually cost.
    <space for hire>
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    The only niggle with my JCA20HV was the teedy front panel covering was wonky and did my crust, so I replaced it, its somewhere in this thread........they aregood value as there is no middle man needing to make a profit, you buy direct...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    edited October 2018

Seriously, though, glad you're happy with it. Even years on, these amps are still insanely priced. I just don't understand why they're not more popular.
    I know a guy on another forum worked for a little while in a guitar shop, and they stocked them, and he said they weren't popular at all either. (IIRC) His theory was that most people who came into the shop had never even heard of Mike Soldano, so they didn't much care that a cheaper version of his amps was available. And then because of that, as you said above, because they're cheap these people assumed they must be crap.
  • Dave_Mc said:

Seriously, though, glad you're happy with it. Even years on, these amps are still insanely priced. I just don't understand why they're not more popular.
    I know a guy on another forum worked for a little while in a guitar shop, and they stocked them, and he said they weren't popular at all either. (IIRC) His theory was that most people who came into the shop had never even heard of Mike Soldano, so they didn't much care that a cheaper version of his amps was available. And then because of that, as you said above, because they're cheap these people assumed they must be crap.
    Aye. Also, according to Lee Anderton, they stopped stocking them because there were "serious quality problems". That...confuses me.
    <space for hire>
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850

Aye. Also, according to Lee Anderton, they stopped stocking them because there were "serious quality problems". That...confuses me.
    Maybe it was the quality of the profit margin............
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123 said:

Maybe it was the quality of the profit margin............
    At the time, the JCA50H was £529. That would put the profit margin at around £200-250 relative to the current dealer prices...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    edited October 2018
    Dave_Mc said:

Yeah me too. Most people I've seen say they're pretty well-built for the price. One of the preamp shields on mine was rolling about inside the headshell when I got mine, and I couldn't get it to stay put without it pyoing-ing out a few seconds later, so I left it out in case it took out a valve the next time it shot out. But other than that (granted, I only use mine at home) mine's been fine.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    For anyone interested in the quite rare 50w combo with the lucky 13 clean channel, one just popped up on the The Real UK Guitar / Amp / Gear Exchange on  FB - Nuneaton and £225.
  • Dave_Mc said:

Do you remember where you might have heard/read this? I'd wondered why Andertons don't stock them, but Thomann do. Seems like such a great affordable product line to be entirely absent from such a big store as Andertons.
  • I’m really surprised that these amps aren’t more popular. I’ve used mine several times at rehearsal now and it has made me park my Mesa for the time being. It really does sound that good (to me).
    I think it's the fact that people think they're "budget" in every sense just because they're cheap. Everybody who's had one knows they're not, but there's only so much you can do unfortunately.

I put a black grille on the front of my JCA50H, and I often get people asking me if it's a boutique amp. It totally blows their brains when I tell them how much they actually cost.
    Where did you get the black grille from, if you don’t mind me asking?
  • Aye. Also, according to Lee Anderton, they stopped stocking them because there were "serious quality problems". That...confuses me.
    Do you remember where you might have heard/read this? I'd wondered why Andertons don't stock them, but Thomann do. Seems like such a great affordable product line to be entirely absent from such a big store as Andertons.
    He replied to one of my comments on YouTube about Jet City, and said they'd never stock them again. It's the one time I've suspected him of not 100% telling the truth...they stopped stocking them at exactly the same time that their distributor did a blowout of all their stock, selling them to the public at half the retail price. Bit of a coincidence, that ;)

Where did you get the black grille from, if you don’t mind me asking?
    I emailed Doug @ Jet City and he shipped it to me from the States (in return for the usual tokens). That was a long time ago now, though. You can easily make one from the car radiator grilles you can pick up all over eBay and Amazon, though.
    <space for hire>
  • Where did you get the black grille from, if you don’t mind me asking?

I emailed Doug @ Jet City and he shipped it to me from the States (in return for the usual tokens). That was a long time ago now, though. You can easily make one from the car radiator grilles you can pick up all over eBay and Amazon, though.
    Ok great, thanks. I might look into that.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I believe there may be a combo with a speaker upgrade on the classifieds right now, yes Ive just checked and yes there is. Bloody cheap too, gosh!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"