Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jazzmasters - Whats the best bang for buck?

What's Hot

Comments

• Best bang for buck if you want original specs is a used AVRI 62 or 65. Then a used MIJ, but you might want to get 'real' Jazzmaster pickups fitted. If you don't care about vintage specs then the MIM Classic Players are really good. American originals too, but more money obv. 
    Unless you're absolutely skint forget the Squiers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Best bang for buck if you want original specs is a used AVRI 62 or 65. Then a used MIJ, but you might want to get 'real' Jazzmaster pickups fitted. If you don't care about vintage specs then the MIM Classic Players are really good. American originals too, but more money obv. 
    Unless you're absolutely skint forget the Squiers. 
    Cheers! @Grocer_Jack ;

I’ll look into the models you mentioned.  I don’t really care about vintage specs tbh...although I want the upper switching options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't know much about the JM, but just watched this dude and, well... take a look  :)

• The Squier JMs are great tbh. Vintage modified or the Mascis. I had a VMJM that I liked more than a thin skin av62 JM, so much so that I sold the thin skin and kept the Squier. It was upgraded with a Staytrem and antiquities but yeah, a great guitar. 

Only reason I don't have it now is cos I moved onto the short scale fender things. 
    Don't know much about the JM, but just watched this dude and, well... take a look

Saw that video a few weeks ago, really nice playing/tone.
    The Squier JMs are great tbh. Vintage modified or the Mascis. I had a VMJM that I liked more than a thin skin av62 JM, so much so that I sold the thin skin and kept the Squier. It was upgraded with a Staytrem and antiquities but yeah, a great guitar. 

Only reason I don't have it now is cos I moved onto the short scale fender things. 

Thanks, I’m happy enough with ‘Squier’ on the headstock although I know that it puts some people off.

Will look into the ‘staytrem system’ as it’s something I’ve heard about, but am not really knowledgeable about it.

Cheers!

• fnptfnpt Frets: 744
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    fnpt said:
    Very nice & I quite like the block inlays, but a bit expensive for me tbh @ £1024.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    Looks like a Classic 60s Lacquer but with matching headstock and bound/block neck. You can find the Classic 60s Lacquer for about £100 less.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 773
    Looks like a Classic 60s Lacquer but with matching headstock and bound/block neck. You can find the Classic 60s Lacquer for about £100 less.
    That's pretty much it, also the 7.25 vs 9.5 radius neck for whoever's bothered about that.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited October 2018
    Have been looking at a JM for a few months and came to the 60th anniversary model in daphne blue or the american pro series. I've been to peaches today and tried the 60th and tbh the fretboard being pau ferro didn't look right. It was really pale and looks really dry but obviously just the colour of the wood. Pickups did sound a bit shrill but not sure if that is what JM are supposed to be anyway? Apart from that guitar was good.

The only american pro they had was in 3TSB which I have enough guitars in that colour so wanted something with colour. Tried the american original series in turquoise and that felt a big step up from 60th anni. Firstly rosewood fretboard and the neck felt a bit bigger but more comfy (normally play a 58lp so used to a bigger neck). Better finish on the maple on the neck too. The pickups weren't shrill like the 60th anni model, possibly due to the rosewood/pau ferro(?) or more likely just better pickups. Sounded much deeper and the difference between the 2 pickups was obvious. On the 60th I asked if I had to check the pickup selection with the staff since the neck sounded like the bridge pickup. I like the action of the trem better and also has option to lock it.  Overall just felt a step up.  Also the original series are lacquer finish compared to the pro series being poly.

Anyway they did a price match and got it a bit cheaper than advertised and about £100 more than the pro series I originally had in the mix. Comes with a nice G&G brown hard case. Will have a proper play later but so far pleased with it.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    mcsdan said:
    Have been looking at a JM for a few months and came to the 60th anniversary model in daphne blue or the american pro series. I've been to peaches today and tried the 60th and tbh the fretboard being pau ferro didn't look right. It was really pale and looks really dry but obviously just the colour of the wood. Pickups did sound a bit shrill but not sure if that is what JM are supposed to be anyway? Apart from that guitar was good.

The only american pro they had was in 3TSB which I have enough guitars in that colour so wanted something with colour. Tried the american original series in turquoise and that felt a big step up from 60th anni. Firstly rosewood fretboard and the neck felt a bit bigger but more comfy (normally play a 58lp so used to a bigger neck). Better finish on the maple on the neck too. The pickups weren't shrill like the 60th anni model, possibly due to the rosewood/pau ferro(?) or more likely just better pickups. Sounded much deeper and the difference between the 2 pickups was obvious. On the 60th I asked if I had to check the pickup selection with the staff since the neck sounded like the bridge pickup. I like the action of the trem better and also has option to lock it.  Overall just felt a step up.  Also the original series are lacquer finish compared to the pro series being poly.

Anyway they did a price match and got it a bit cheaper than advertised and about £100 more than the pro series I originally had in the mix. Comes with a nice G&G brown hard case. Will have a proper play later but so far pleased with it.

Nice one!
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 773
    mcsdan said:

The American Originals have the 65 reissue pickups. The MIM 60th anniversaries apparently have those pickups, the difference being that they are produced in-house in the Mexican factory to the same specs. I think they also do this with the pickups on the MIM classic players and baja's etc.?

The MIM Cassic Lacquer Jazzmaster was always listed as having the genuine 65 reissue pickups, no idea if that's true in reality. Confused yet!

Anyway I think you chose well, not much more money for the real deal in my opinion. I have the surf green American Original jag, it replaces a Johnny Marr Jag and I don't regret it. 

Would love the turquoise Jazzmaster to match!
  • I really can't recommend mojo pickups enough for replacement jazzmaster pickups. They are honestly in a different league to fenders offerings. 
    I've owned a lot of jazzmasters. Every single one has been improved with a set of mojos
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I really can't recommend mojo pickups enough for replacement jazzmaster pickups. They are honestly in a different league to fenders offerings. 
    I've owned a lot of jazzmasters. Every single one has been improved with a set of mojos
    https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product-category/pickups/jazzmaster/

Which ones out of interest?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    duotone said:
    I really can't recommend mojo pickups enough for replacement jazzmaster pickups. They are honestly in a different league to fenders offerings. 

I like the overwound bridge set. Don't be worried that the bridge is mega hot - it is not, from I find that this set has the best balance.

If you want something a bit different the wide range JM style are also excellent. 
  • Gagaryn said:
    duotone said:

I like the overwound bridge set. Don't be worried that the bridge is mega hot - it is not, from I find that this set has the best balance.

If you want something a bit different the wide range JM style are also excellent. 
    Definitely the overwound bridge option. I also strongly recommend A3 magnets instead of A5.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Cheers @meltedbuzzbox ;
    Cheers @Gagaryn ;
    Looks like a Squier Vintage Modified might be the best for me, with a possible pickup upgrade further down the line.
  • I can also vouch for the Mojo Jazzmaster pickups with overwound bridge. They are truly amazing. 
  • Another fan of the Mojo overwound JM set here. I put mine into an '86 MIJ which was a bloomin' lovely guitar, but just didn't sound anywhere near as good as my AVRI thin skin.

Although I was expecting an improvement, I wasn't prepared for just how much better they would be. Better than the pickups in the thin skin, and then some! There's more depth, clarity and a three dimensional quality to the tones available. The downside is that I really need to get some for my thin skin now, as the '86 tends to get picked up first every time!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....