Box 40 Reissue Boss OD-1

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 456
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323489615360
Hmmm! wonder how much this will go for? does anyone have one of these? and how do they compare to the original? my old one still gets a lot of use amazing drive.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    I like them, just cuts too much low end though. Best application I found was on the middle or neck position of a semi hollow.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    I have the set and did consider selling on the OD-1 as I don't use it much at all (I got the set to obtain an SP-1). That said, I've found it to be the best example of an OD-1 that I've tried (I've had a few but not the original 14 pin version which I presume this is voiced to resemble). It has a lot more bottom end than other original examples I've had and generally sounds meatier all round.
  • JezWynd said:
    I have the set and did consider selling on the OD-1 as I don't use it much at all (I got the set to obtain an SP-1). That said, I've found it to be the best example of an OD-1 that I've tried (I've had a few but not the original 14 pin version which I presume this is voiced to resemble). It has a lot more bottom end than other original examples I've had and generally sounds meatier all round.
    Well if you ever want to move it on I'm sure I'd be interested  ;)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498

It's a reissue of the 14-pin opamp version, which came in a super-expensive box with a Phaser and Spectrum. Looks like they're still available new for £550-ish, the seller has probably lost out financially by splitting them.

I have the 8-pin opamp version, and I swapped a capacitor value to mitigate the bass loss many years ago.

It's a reissue of the 14-pin opamp version, which came in a super-expensive box with a Phaser and Spectrum. Looks like they're still available new for £550-ish, the seller has probably lost out financially by splitting them.

I have the 8-pin opamp version, and I swapped a capacitor value to mitigate the bass loss many years ago.

I thought it must be, it's notably different to the later versions I've had in the past. My set isn't really a 'set' anymore - the SP-1 proved to be faulty and I returned it to Boss. It took them two attempts to get me one that worked properly and the SP-1 I ended up with has a different serial number to the OD1 and PH-1 which probably rules out any collector interest. I'll probably keep them anyway, the SP-1 is really useful for bass and the PH-1 is one of my favourite phasers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well that Reissue OD-1 is now mine hoping it;s a good one?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a reissue of the 14-pin opamp version, which came in a super-expensive box with a Phaser and Spectrum. Looks like they're still available new for £550-ish, the seller has probably lost out financially by splitting them.

Got my box 40 reissue OD-1 today, looks great! out of curiosity I decided to have a quick peak inside. Everything looks really neat and tidy and there’s a 14 pin chip on the board, didn’t have time to identify it, obviously not the original 14 pin chip but can’t wait to have a blast with it, and if it has that little bit more bottom end then I’m happy, I love the tone of the OD-1.
  • JezWynd said:
    Definitely meatier all round. This thing is awesome! It’s raunchy as..... pure 70’s rock! I prefer it over the vintage TS808 I owned a couple of years back.
    Next I will A/B it with my 1980 OD-1. The reissue appears to have more low end and interacts with the guitar volume really well. I set the guitar vol to the slightest bit of grit then gradually turn it all the way up for full on assault. Surprisingly! I was getting some filthy tweedy Neil Young sounds. Of all the  drives and distortions I’ve owned this has the best lead tone I’ve ever heard, It even sounded good through my digital line 6 Amplifi. 

Got my box 40 reissue OD-1 today, looks great! out of curiosity I decided to have a quick peak inside. Everything looks really neat and tidy and there’s a 14 pin chip on the board, didn’t have time to identify it, obviously not the original 14 pin chip but can’t wait to have a blast with it, and if it has that little bit more bottom end then I’m happy, I love the tone of the OD-1.
    Interesting that they sourced a 14 pin chip, I'd presumed they'd used 8 pin and done some jiggery pokery to make it sound like the original. As you say, it has a great lead tone and it works much better at low volume than the original 8 pin which I'd found only sound decent when you have an amp that's about to break up. That's a great score!
  • JezWynd said:
    Definitely meatier all round. This thing is awesome! It’s raunchy as..... pure 70’s rock! I prefer it over the vintage TS808 I owned a couple of years back.
    Next I will A/B it with my 1980 OD-1. The reissue appears to have more low end and interacts with the guitar volume really well. I set the guitar vol to the slightest bit of grit then gradually turn it all the way up for full on assault. Surprisingly! I was getting some filthy tweedy Neil Young sounds. Of all the  drives and distortions I’ve owned this has the best lead tone I’ve ever heard, It even sounded good through my digital line 6 Amplifi. 
    Fancy that! after a rehearsal last night I still prefer my vintage 8 pin chip OD-1 over the reissue, seems a bit more aggressive and I just prefer overall tone.
    JezWynd said:
    Fancy that! after a rehearsal last night I still prefer my vintage 8 pin chip OD-1 over the reissue, seems a bit more aggressive and I just prefer overall tone.
    I can believe it. The reissue sounds better at home volumes but the 8pin shines when you get a chance to crank up the volume.

There’s currently a PH-1 from the box on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-PH-1-Phaser-pedal-MIJ-reissue-40th-anniversary/332856902047?hash=item4d7fd1419f:g:F2gAAOSwQqJb1ZW2
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    I've seen more than a couple of these Box-40 sets still for sale in guitar shops in the last few months. I have to wonder whether Boss misjudged the market a little with them, despite getting the Waza stuff seemingly so right in the time since.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I've seen more than a couple of these Box-40 sets still for sale in guitar shops in the last few months. I have to wonder whether Boss misjudged the market a little with them, despite getting the Waza stuff seemingly so right in the time since.
    Think they just drastically overcharged.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    JezWynd said:
    I can believe it. The reissue sounds better at home volumes but the 8pin shines when you get a chance to crank up the volume.

There’s currently a PH-1 from the box on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-PH-1-Phaser-pedal-MIJ-reissue-40th-anniversary/332856902047?hash=item4d7fd1419f:g:F2gAAOSwQqJb1ZW2
    Yep! I saw that PH-1 fantastic pedal! there was also an SP-1 for sale at £349, I’ve a feeling we will see a lot more of these box 40 pedals on eBay?
  • SP-1 here, now down to £300

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332845546083
    JezWynd said:
    JezWynd said:

Yep! I saw that PH-1 fantastic pedal! there was also an SP-1 for sale at £349, I’ve a feeling we will see a lot more of these box 40 pedals on eBay?

• SP-1 here, now down to £300

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332845546083
    JezWynd said:
    JezWynd said:

Just noticed it’s the same seller!
  • What a steal.  The OD1 from that set is supposed to be amazing.  Good one!
  • What a steal.  The OD1 from that set is supposed to be amazing.  Good one!
    @PinstripePhil Yeah! really pleased with it and it looks lovely! Definitely a bit more beef to it than my 8 pin chip and as @JezWynd mentions the reissue is fantastic at lower volumes, I love the fact that the OD-1 can cover a range genres, 70’s and 80’s and it does a lovely tweedy Neil Young thing right through to 90’s Alt rock, lead tones are glorious and it shines at rhythm stuff. 
    After 
    doing a rehearsal last week, I think I preferred my 1980 OD-1, just something about it that I cannot put my finger on, I’m now using the gain boost and EQ from my FZ-2 to push the OD-1 a little further and that helps with the slight low end loss it now sounds huge. 
  • I keep religiously banging on about Boss but the OD-1 and SD-2 are the best drives I've ever owned, they've both seen off a lot of boutique pedals. The SD-2 crunch channel is my main rhythm tone. This is no exaggeration but the SD-2 has most natural, sparkly crunch I've ever heard in a pedal (but you have to back off on the tone and drive a little)  it's very very consistent and works with all types of amps.    
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I keep religiously banging on about Boss but the OD-1 and SD-2 are the best drives I've ever owned, they've both seen off a lot of boutique pedals. The SD-2 crunch channel is my main rhythm tone. This is no exaggeration but the SD-2 has most natural, sparkly crunch I've ever heard in a pedal (but you have to back off on the tone and drive a little)  it's very very consistent and works with all types of amps.    
    Brilliant pedals imo.    I’d add the od2 to that list - I’d would be very happy gigging with any of them, for years I used an od2 into a jubilee and it was one of the best tones I’ve had but the od1 and sd2 are great as well.  

At sone point I should get another od1 and od2