Favourite tunings

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    Open G is my default non-standard tuning, probably as that's what most of my favourite non-standard-tuned songs use. 

Also a fan of CGCGCE (or DADADF#), which is the John Butler "Ocean" tuning and absolutely gorgeous.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    I'm a fan of DADFAD for slide. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Standard is difficult enough as it is. When I master it I might experiment a bit. Until then EADGBE for me. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I play 90% in drop c#, 9% in Eb Standard and 1% in "lower"
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited October 2018
    I tune my 7-string to CABBAGE and now it plays like butter
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    I started a thread about it but I've got one guitar tuned to EAEABE at the moment - pinched from Ian Pritchard who does pedal demos as Collector / Emitter - and it's lovely. Nice open tuning, and easy to play lovely chords. My other guitar is constantly tuned to Drop D as that's a favourite for things like Caspian and ASIWYFA, but I'll probably stick the third guitar to standard tuning just to go back to it after a while away. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Your EAEABE looks very similar to my DGDGAD. Also play DADAAD for sustainy goodness in key of D. I'm a fan of Caspian too and frequently dabble with drop D and double drop D.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Fan of some of the slack-key/wahine tunings, chiefly DADF#AC#.  Great for picking over floaty semi-open chord shapes higher up the neck.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Rocker said:
    Standard is difficult enough as it is. When I master it I might experiment a bit. Until then EADGBE for me. 
    When I was learning I liked the idea of DADGAD because there was a big repertoire of acoustic songs. It is also an easy tuning for playing harmony notes, especially drones, against a melody. At the time I decided that learning two tunings simultaneously would be confusing so I stayed with standard. When I got into playing covers everything, even Keith Richards, was in standard tuning. It’s been that way ever since, and I never have learned another tuning. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I play a bit of slide guitar, so I thought better to get a properly set up guitar. I bought a HH tele, tightened up the truss rod to compensate for the extra tension caused by open E tuninging, raised the bridge about 1/8" and fitted 14 gauge strings ( I usually play with 9 gauge). I found playing slide on a standard set up guitar with 9s too difficult as I was always catching the frets when moving the slide. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827

I tuned one of my acoustics to E minor once, but it made me feel uncomfortable....

it gave me the EBEGBE's.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    proggy said:

I tuned one of my acoustics to E minor once, but it made me feel uncomfortable....

it gave me the EBEGBE's.

:)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    ewal said:
    Your EAEABE looks very similar to my DGDGAD. Also play DADAAD for sustainy goodness in key of D. I'm a fan of Caspian too and frequently dabble with drop D and double drop D.
    I love you. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom