Noob question - effects on PA

What's Hot
We are are using an HH1202 mixer with an external effects unit and power amp. Excuse my ignorance but is it normal for the effects unit to only operate to FOH and not the monitors?  Our lead singer (we have 3) has suggested getting an effects unit to put between her mic and the desk so that the processing can be heard through her monitors as well?  Before I get stuck in, I'd just like to know what the standard signal routing would be.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Do you run the external FX between the output of the desk and the power amp? You should be able to run the FX in a send which would then allow you to have it in the monitors too. 

In all honesty, instead of getting something to go between mic and desk, I'd just sell both and upgrade the Desk to one with Build in FX. Tons of decent enough desk have reverb built in at a reasonable cost these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Just to state the obvious - if she has an effects unit between her mic and the desk she controls it and it only works on her mic. Which is great for special effects but no good if you want to add reverb to everyone. 

As Ash says you may be able to upgrade to something more modern ( not necessarily brand new or very modern just not something that was made when T Rex where in the charts) that would do a better job for little more than the cost of a decent stand alone effects system. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    As I understand it, the aux send goes to the powered floor monitors and then the aux gain control on each channel is used to set the monitor mix.  Would using aux 1 send and return for effects and aux 2 for monitor out/mix do what we want?  I know it's old etc. but the sound out front is great and far better than we ever got with our Mackie set up.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    uncledick said:
    As I understand it, the aux send goes to the powered floor monitors and then the aux gain control on each channel is used to set the monitor mix.  Would using aux 1 send and return for effects and aux 2 for monitor out/mix do what we want?  I know it's old etc. but the sound out front is great and far better than we ever got with our Mackie set up.
    Yes that would work fine and is the normal way of connecting things.  
    The aux1 return might have an aux send to feed the reverb to the monitors as well but if it doesn’t then you could use a spare channel as the return (watch you don’t send to six 1 on that channel though)

it it would be handy to check if the aux send as pre or post fader - ideally you want the effects send aux to be post fader and the monitor send to be pre fader so you can adjust the front volume without changing the monitors and viceversa.  

I generally set the vocal monitors to be dry unless singers ask for effects but if it makes her more comfortable then go for it.  
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    John_P said:
    The aux1 return might have an aux send to feed the reverb to the monitors as well but if it doesn’t then you could use a spare channel as the return (watch you don’t send to six 1 on that channel though)

Not sure I understood that last bit!  Here's a link if it's any help:  http://www.hifi-forum.de/bild/hh-1202r-3_62210.html

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    uncledick said:
    John_P said:

Not sure I understood that last bit!  Here's a link if it's any help:  http://www.hifi-forum.de/bild/hh-1202r-3_62210.html

Some desk have more options on the aux returns.   Yours doesn’t.  
    If you want to feed to the reverb into the monitors as well as the front then return it into a spare channel so you can use the monitor aux.  

• I think I've got this!

So we plug mics 1-3 into channels 1-3 and send to reverb unit via aux 1.

Aux 1 return we input to channel 4 (line level input?) which has aux 1 level set fully down.

Aux 2 output goes to monitors.

Ch 4 aux 2 control sets reverb level in monitor mix.

Ch 4 fader sets reverb level in FOH mix.

Thanks for your patience...