Orange CR120 head?

zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I've recently been gassing for another amp and would like to know if anyone uses an Orange CR120 head? I've watched a fair few of Dave Simpson's clips on YouTube and it seems pretty versatile. I like the fact it's a solid state amp, no valves to worry about is a bonus!

Any views and opinions on this amp are greatly appreciated, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's fantastic - don't expect it to feel like a valve amp, but if you change how you play to suit it is capable of a lot of fantastic, responsive sounds 

I rate it much better than the 60 watt combo, I think it benefits from two speakers or just a bigger box. I tested through a 2x12 orange cab with v30s. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    It's fantastic - don't expect it to feel like a valve amp, but if you change how you play to suit it is capable of a lot of fantastic, responsive sounds 

I rate it much better than the 60 watt combo, I think it benefits from two speakers or just a bigger box. I tested through a 2x12 orange cab with v30s. 
    That's good to know, thank you. I already have an Orange 2x12 cab so that's a good start. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited October 2018
    It is a brilliant amp -- I've been gigging with one for just over 3 years now.
    I'm using a Marshall 2x12 cab.
    I found Dave Simpson's channel after I got the amp and he shows that it is pretty versatile.  Like @zepp76 said it's different from a valve amp which takes a little getting used to.
    But the weight takes no getting used to at all.  After lunking a JVM 410-h around for years it was love at first gig for the Orange CR-120 head.
  • used one at a rehearsal studio. really liked it gassed for one for ages but ended up getting a boss katana
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Not sure if it helps but I've got the CR60C combo. I'd say it has that distinctive slightly breathy Orange sound. The clean channel goes from pretty clean to a just starting to break up sound. The dirty channel takes over from where clean leaves off and goes all the way to more gain than most people will ever want or need. The (digital) reverb is pretty good. Looks to be well put together with decent quality components. Slightly, but not overly, boxy. A decent speaker cabinet would probably make a pretty decent amp even better.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Its OK. I've used one at rehearsals and quite a few festivals.  I much prefer the quilter problock personally 
    Thank you for the replies, I'm even more tempted now! What would be the going rate for a good condition used one do you think please?
    A quick question for @ICBM  Will it be ok to run said amp through my 1960ax cab? The cab is 100w so would it be safe for 120w from a solid state amp? (if that even makes a difference between valve amps). I have an Orange 2x12 that is rated at 120w would it be best to stick to that, I really would like to try it through a 4x12 though. Many thanks in advance.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    zepp76 said:
    A quick question for @ICBM  Will it be ok to run said amp through my 1960ax cab? The cab is 100w so would it be safe for 120w from a solid state amp? (if that even makes a difference between valve amps). I have an Orange 2x12 that is rated at 120w would it be best to stick to that, I really would like to try it through a 4x12 though. Many thanks in advance.
    Yes, since the cab is 16 ohms - the amp will only produce about 70-80W at most, possibly less.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:
    Yes, since the cab is 16 ohms - the amp will only produce about 70-80W at most, possibly less.
    That's great, thank you for your help.