Fender PJ Mustang Bass . . . Awesome . . . I need one, so I bought one !!!!

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
edited November 2018 in Bass
Sweet to play, sounds great ( through PMT's finest ) Ive slapped a deposit down and its due in 5 days :-) Chuffed
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    maw4neu said:
    I've slapped
    Shh! Don't mention ze slap. It upsets Bridgehouse.
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    maw4neu said:
    I've slapped
    Shh! Don't mention ze slap. It upsets Bridgehouse.
    Actually I’ve changed my mind. From now on I will only be playing slap. On a Rickenbacker. Through an old Ashdown combo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Slap? On a child-sized instrument? Heresy.
    Slap? On a child-sized instrument? Heresy.
    Surely that would be “smacking”
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Its all about the Bass, the Bass, the Bass . . . No treble . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

edited November 2018
    A couple of weeks in now and I can genuinely say "I'm loving it" . . . . What a cracking Bass it is . . . Given me a ton of smiles already, Light, easy to play, sounds excellent right out of the box . . . I dropped the action a little and tightened the truss rod just a little to get the setup spot on for me and its excellent :-) Well done Fender . . . 

Find out what strings it was supplied with. Stock up on some more, ready for changing in about ten years' time.
    Be seeing you.
    Find out what strings it was supplied with. Stock up on some more, ready for changing in about ten years' time.
    That's an interesting point . . . I did wonder just how long a set of Bass strings would last ??? I suppose, like the strings on my 6 String Acoustic or Electric, it depends just how much you play and how greasy or sweaty your hands are . . .  Mine are quite dry so strings last a while :-)  .  I'll be switching over to flat wound or possibly half round at some point but I really like the sound of the Fender round wound 45-105 set that it came fitted with as they are really punchy and bright :-) 

maw4neu said:
    That's an interesting point . . . I did wonder just how long a set of Bass strings would last ??? I suppose, like the strings on my 6 String Acoustic or Electric, it depends just how much you play and how greasy or sweaty your hands are . . .  Mine are quite dry so strings last a while :-)  .  I'll be switching over to flat wound or possibly half round at some point but I really like the sound of the Fender round wound 45-105 set that it came fitted with as they are really punchy and bright :-) 
    The fender flats are good for the money. Chromes are my flats of choice - and they retain some of the zing of round wounds. Half wounds for me are neither fish nor foul - you get the worst of both (IMHO) of course. Thomastiks are low tension and very thumpy but can sound glorious on the right bass. La Bella are also good for that old school flats sound (as are Rotosounds). 

You could also take a look at tape wounds - they are different to flats, and can give a unique tone to a bass - oddly many are actually a bit brighter than flats. 

Of course, the big difference with bass strings is they last a long time. Flats like chromes can last 10+ years if you like the thumpy tone they eventually develop. And, the key thing is that you can swap sets out before they are dead. I have a few sets of flats and rounds which get swapped out onto basses from time to time. 

Bass strings are a lot more cash than guitar strings - but they last a lot longer and you can take them off, keep them, and use them again later on! There's a thriving secondhand market for bass strings....
  • La Bella's are my first choice, just restrung a mates early 70's musicmaster with their new low tension S/S flats & they are excellent, not as floppy as TI flats, they feel & sound really good on a shortscale , good price from Bass Direct .
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    maw4neu said:
    A couple of weeks in now and I can genuinely say "I'm loving it" . . . . What a cracking Bass it is . . . Given me a ton of smiles already, Light, easy to play, sounds excellent right out of the box . . . I dropped the action a little and tightened the truss rod just a little to get the setup spot on for me and its excellent :-) Well done Fender . . . 

I've got a PJ Mustang too, it's the perfect Bass for a guitarist I reckon - the transition is so easy as everything falls in the same place almost.
    dindude said:
    I've got a PJ Mustang too, it's the perfect Bass for a guitarist I reckon - the transition is so easy as everything falls in the same place almost.
    Hello  @dindude ; . . . Have you changed the strings ??? or are you OK with the set supplied with the guitar ???

I actually thought that @Funkfingers was kidding when he mentioned changing the strings in 10 years :-) but Im pleasantly surprised by what Ive read . . . Crazy !!! but really good crazy :-)

I'm learning a little more each fumble but getting a little worried that I may be doing my 68 AC30's speakers no favours by putting the Bass through it  . . . I'm keeping the volume right down ( honest ) but I know it wasn't really designed for a Bass . . .  I'm looking for a cheap - ish Ashdown Tourbus or After Eight . . . still early days but this smile is getting wider . . . 

maw4neu said:
    dindude said:
    Hello  @dindude ; . . . Have you changed the strings ??? or are you OK with the set supplied with the guitar ???

I actually thought that @Funkfingers was kidding when he mentioned changing the strings in 10 years :-) but Im pleasantly surprised by what Ive read . . . Crazy !!! but really good crazy :-)

I'm learning a little more each fumble but getting a little worried that I may be doing my 68 AC30's speakers no favours by putting the Bass through it  . . . I'm keeping the volume right down ( honest ) but I know it wasn't really designed for a Bass . . .  I'm looking for a cheap - ish Ashdown Tourbus or After Eight . . . still early days but this smile is getting wider . . . 

Just wait till you try it through a big amp fully cranked...
    Flatwound strings are soooooooooooooo smmmmoooooooooottttthhhh . . .. Funky

maw4neu said:
    Flatwound strings are soooooooooooooo smmmmoooooooooottttthhhh
    True enough.

maw4neu said:
    Funky
    Funk is to do with syncopation. James Jamerson was as good an exemplar as any. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    I really need to get Bass amp . . . Did you hear that Santa :-)