Rexter Guitars - custom painting, restoration & refinishing

What's Hot

Comments

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Similar tales here... I’m starting to think they are deliberately missing collections to route more and more of their packages through the pickup shop services?
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Lots going on... finally getting my business sorted, bit by bit.
    Many exciting new jobs in recently and will try to do a longer post soon, just hard to find the time.

I'm posting pretty frequently on instagram now if you want to see some pretty pictures:

https://instagram.com/rexterguitars/

and if anyone feels like liking my facebook page, that would be most appreciated 

https://facebook.com/rexterguitars

In the meantime I have some beautiful bodies for sale - 2 50s sunburst strat bodies and Firemist Gold tele body.

£275 each shipped in the UK to fretboard members for the next 3 days

More info on the strat bodies on my website which is still very haphazard while I find time to sort it.

They are both 2 piece alder and 1.7 and 1.8KG I think - will get exact weights. Tele is 2 piece alder and 2kg.

https://rexterguitars.co.uk/collections/nitro-guitar-bodies

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Well instagram shouldn't get all the pretty pictures so I'll leave a few here if anyone's interested.

Candy Apple Red - got the colour coats on yesterday, will have 3-4 clearcoats before hanging to cure

General stuff that's going on:

Wait, WTF is this... not a Jazzmaster?? Something by @GSPBASSES ;I've done for @TTony ;

New paintroom is practically palatial compared to my old setup.

Sooo... yeah, things good in the new place, social media going well and I'm catching up on my jobs. Really positive feedback coming in which is the best thing and exciting new jobs keep cropping up.

All good.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
     :+1:

See you again in a couple of weeks when it's all ready!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
     :+1:

See you again in a couple of weeks when it's all ready!
    Look forward to it Tony and can’t wait to see what you do with this one!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Away a while and a fairly manic week catching up. 

Big shipment of bodies coming in soon so there will be lots more for sale and have a couple of complete guitars in the works. 

I've also been planing and jointing some really nice poplar boards to make some vintage correct Mustang bodies (no one is making these in the UK) but I really don't know when I'll find time to actually start building them, the whole finishing thing is just so time consuming!

Weather has been great this autumn but it's starting to get to the time of year when humidity becomes an issue when painting. I think I'll be spending some time over the next few weeks devising a way to build a DIY air handling unit (or something far more low-tech!) ensuring that the air being pulled into my paint room is already dehumidified and warm. 

I'm lucky to have a corridor room between one of my main workshop areas and the paint room where I keep my turbines, so if this is completely sealed and the air kept dry in here I'm thinking this is perhaps the best way. It's fine having dehumidifiers and heaters running in the booth, which I do, but once the powerful extractor is running it sucks in external air from all over the place. That will all be fun I'm sure.

The 1966 Jag got buffed the other day and is ready to fly back home to Germany:

Another aged Firemist Silver JM in the works:

Swamp ash tele body stained yellow pre sunburst

Nice burst taking shape:

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader
    and just a reminder - I'm posting on instagram daily - @rexterguitars so please take a look if you're interested. It's not that I favour it over the forum,  but it's just so quick and easy to do it can dovetail in with a busy schedule really well. Cheers! 

and just remembered another one i posted on there earlier this week - finished up a gorgeous sherwood green HSS hardtail strat body for @TwoSpellWizard from here - deep, flakey, super-flat mirror finish. 

and something a bit different to my usual OTT metallic obsession - a satin green stain, black grainfiller swamp ash tele for @MtB is nearing completion

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    I'm loving the paint jobs on Instagram , wish i had more time to get some metallic jobs done myself
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    I'm loving the paint jobs on Instagram , wish i had more time to get some metallic jobs done myself
    Hey, thanks!  Your posts are really increasing my GAS for somekind of Lpj, wish I had your skills! Similarly I want to build more of my own custom bodies but not really got the time. Got to focus on the job at hand I guess...
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Anybody like Burgundy Mist? Looks so right on a JM body shape I think.

A down and dirty CBS era style burst on a swamp ash body after a couple of heavy clear coats. Will get a couple more before curing and ageing. Will be for sale in due time.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • rexter said:
    Anybody like Burgundy Mist? Looks so right on a JM body shape I think.

That would look tasty with an aged, gold anodised plate ;)

Something like this @lovestrat74 ???

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    Err... or not sorry. Forgot the hell that is trying to post images from an iPhone here!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Finally!
    Interesting combo but maybe a bit too much?  :o

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    ^ Yeh, looks like an ice cream. Gotta be dark tort with burg mist
  • Hmm not sure... Once you get the neck on might all tie in nicely  :#
    tFB Trader
    Yeah it wouldn't be my choice. This body and neck is off Monaco today anyway, where I'm betting good money it's going to get a pure vintage eggshell pickguard.

I like tort and I like gold anodised guards (a lot) but TBH i don't think anything looks better with most of the custom colour metallics than 3 ply white or off white with a wide bevel. Boring? Maybe, but just looks right to me.

There's a craze to put tort on everything now it seems, remember when that first kicked off on the offsetguitars.com forum (cue contemplative music as he enters a reverie) but I just don't think it works in a lot of cases, especially if it's low quality modern stuff.

The old tort had so much variation in tone and colour, an almost 3d quality sometimes with lots of light orange and white flecks on the best examples. Modern stuff doesn't do it for me most of the time. Spitfire is great of course, but even as a total snob I've never been able to justify that much £££ on a pickguard. I've picked up vintage guards for the same kind of money.
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    rexter said:
    Hey, thanks!  Your posts are really increasing my GAS for somekind of Lpj, wish I had your skills! Similarly I want to build more of my own custom bodies but not really got the time. Got to focus on the job at hand I guess...
    Might have to do a little collaboration at some point, if i get too busy building might send some stuff your way

Mixing F and G styles floats my non replica boat
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    What would it cost to refinish a strat body in metallic sage green?
    tFB Trader
    jesone said:
    What would it cost to refinish a strat body in metallic sage green?
    Hey! Drop me an email or a pm if you have a minute, depends on what state the body is in when it comes to me, but generally c. £250 for a high gloss metallic. Lovely colour btw! 
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk