Studio monitors for Helix use.

What's Hot
As a home player I'm looking to get a set of stereo monitors to setup at home. 

The room they will be used in isn't too big, only 4x3m so I don't want something overpowering.

I've been looking at the KRK Rockit 6 g3s and also the JBL LSR305 models. Both can be had almost new for about £200. I thought the extra inch of cone size might mean the KRKs had the edge but there's a lot of critics and the JBL seem to be widely liked. 

Anyone had both and can comment on one over the other?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I did quite a bit of research into this, but I don't own a Helix, so make of that what you will.

Anyway, the Yamaha HS series seemed to get a lot of love. I saw a few people have issues with the KRK's, but tone is subjective, so you might love them.

Probably best to wait for an actual Helix owner to chime in, but based on my research, I'd consider adding the Yamaha HS series to the list of your potentials.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited October 2018
    I use Mackie CR3’s with my Helix and they sound great in my little spare room, I’ve dialled in presets on them that have really translated well for live use.

Bonus features are they have a headphone out and an aux in on the front of the left powered speaker (The right speaker is passive and runs off the left powered speaker)

Also the on/off volume control is on the front of the powered speaker. 

It means everything you need is accessible on the front of the speaker, which is really handy when you haven’t got a lot of space to work in.

• @Tenebrous I didn't look at Yamaha because I thought they were too expensive but the HS5 don't seem badly priced. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    For the money, the HS5’s are great monitors
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I use a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6 passives, with a cheap Lvpin 2020A power amp I got from China. They sound great...however, I also have them sitting on isolating pads, on top of decent heavy stands and spikes and isolated from the desk they sit on. I also have a fair bit of acoustic foam on the walls to cut down on nasty high-frequency echoes.

For what it's worth, I found that the stands, isolation pads and acoustic foam did far more to improve the sound than anything else I've tried (including the upgrade to the Tannoys from the Denon-branded Mission hi-fi speakers I was using before).
    <space for hire>
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I got a pair of Yamaha HS7s for exactly the same application. Very happy with them.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    And I went for Presonus Eris E8s for my Helix, which are a chunk more expensive but have lovely big 8" drivers and look like grumpy robots. They are on huge stands.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BenBen Frets: 114
    I've been using the JBL LSR305 for a few years now. Love them to bits, and a much cleaner sound. The KRK RP5's I had before added bass, which resulted in not-so-great monitoring...
  • @Ben ; do you find they can get a bit overwhelmed by too much bottom end or at volume? 
  • BenBen Frets: 114
    @chickenchaser Not at all. So far they have been great!
  • Cone size is going to be a bit dependant on room size I would have thought.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    Cone size is going to be a bit dependant on room size I would have thought.
    Yes.

Very important not to have cones bigger than the room.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    Adams t5v are brilliant for the money. Only played my helix through them once though. It did sound good 
  • Sporky said:
    Cone size is going to be a bit dependant on room size I would have thought.
    Yes.

Very important not to have cones bigger than the room.
    Yep, hence the idea of nothing bigger than 6 inches for the room
  • A year on, I still find myself without speakers. This is largely due to work on the house and the actual room that these will eventually go into.

I'm still keen on the JBL LSR305p but I find myself looking at the Mackie CR5s too. The bonus with these is that they have a built in bluetooth, which means that whilst I can plug the helix in, I can additionally run Bluetooth through them so if using backing tracks for practice, I should be able to use both. 

What I'm coming back to everyone on here for is to ask the question if there is a a fairly simple mixer a couple of inputs and/or bluetooth connectivity? At worst, if without bluetooth, at least I could buy a separate bluetooth receiver to plug into an external 2 ch mixer just to control any other wireless input. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've had the krk rp6 in a similar sized room for many years. If I was to buy now I'd definitely get smaller speakers, the bass is wild in a small room.

They're basically a budget option. They don't sound that great but they are cheap.

My biggest advice would be to get smaller woofers.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    As others have said, bass will always be an issue in a small room regardless of monitor choice.  By opting for a smaller cone you are effectively reducing the lower reach of the monitor.  The best way to tackle low end problems, assuming that you have your own space and are not constrained by Domestic Management, is too treat the room acoustics with DIY bass traps and broadband absorbers.  There's loads of 'how to make' vids out there on t'interweb, some of them actually non-bollocks, but basically you need to hang mineral wool panels (60kgm-3 stuff, not the fluffy pink stuff that you have in your loft) in suitable frames / covers at select points in your room.

This is my recording space (very small room).  The absorbers are the beige things in the corners / walls / ceiling;

• Domestic Management  =) yes, I've tried to plan this room so that its well isolated from the main house. Its not too bad, certainly tolerable and at loud volumes, is reasonably quiet in the adjacent room. I'm not really planning on it being a recording room, just a playing room so don't require the sonic accuracy for making records!

If the JBLs are going to be too loud for the space, then I'll probably go back to the original plan of a set of Mackie CR5s. They might be a similar sized speaker, but theyre only half the power at 50w combined. It'll solve any issue of trying to get a bluetooth input as they come with them. 

If the JBLs are purchased, should I just buy a simple 2 ch mixer like the Focusrite 2i2 and run one channel from guitar and the other from Bluetooth? 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a pair of these I use with an HX Stomp - they sound awesome. Read the reviews and check out YouTube:

Buy a pair here:

I have a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors but I prefer the IK's with the HX Stomp.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Fretwired said:
    I have a pair of these I use with an HX Stomp - they sound awesome. Read the reviews and check out YouTube:

Buy a pair here:

I have a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors but I prefer the IK's with the HX Stomp.

Curious why you prefer the IK's to the HS7's. I get the impression that the HS7's are better all-round monitors and have better low-end.