Audio interface recording the daw metronome

Any come came across this? Even with nothing plugged I, just with track armed to record, the signal is picking up the metronome. Its a weak signal, but its very audible.

I've tried to find any routing options via my daw but can't find anything that would cause this. 

It's definitely not a direct recording of the metronome anyway, it sounds more like a signal bleed. Can't say I've ever noticed it with any other ai I've used in the past. 

I use a Roland rubix22 running through reaper.

Any suggestions? 

Ta
Fraser 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh I should also say, it only seems to be the metronome, and not bleed from other recorded tracks
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited October 2018
    Odd, do you have any sends in to the master fader from the metronome?
    Are you creating a session from scratch or using a template?
  • So I've played about with this a little more.It seems to be  linked with the headphone output volume. i.e, the volume of the bleed increases as the volume of the headphone output goes up. 
  • What position is the direct monitor switch on the Rubix 22 in? 

• What position is the direct monitor switch on the Rubix 22 in? 

Thats definately on the OFF option, but I've played about with it and its there no matter what i choose on the back.

I've further narrowed it down to only happening when the Hi-Z button is selected!

Could it just be some internal interference going on?  
  • funkyfraz said:
    Any come came across this? Even with nothing plugged I, just with track armed to record, the signal is picking up the metronome. Its a weak signal, but its very audible.

Dumb question time. 

I assume that the metronome sound only comes on when you play or record that track. Yes? 

Have you right-clicked on the metronome icon in Reaper? Try disabling it in recording and/or playback, see what happens. 

Then when right-clicking again on the metronome icon, check the I/O options next to Enable Metronome. 

• funkyfraz said:

Dumb question time. 

I assume that the metronome sound only comes on when you play or record that track. Yes? 

Have you right-clicked on the metronome icon in Reaper? Try disabling it in recording and/or playback, see what happens. 

Then when right-clicking again on the metronome icon, check the I/O options next to Enable Metronome. 

The wav file has the metronome recorded. No matter what settings are used. 

Thanks for your helps folks! I don't think I'm going to get rid of it. It just seems to be a bleeding between the headphone output and the input. Specifically when the volumes are turned up high. Its possibly just the design of a cheaper end interface! 
  • Some cheaper interfaces can have problems. The mk1 UR22 had monitor mix problems with Hi-Z being used. 

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60830

Next step I'd go for: disable the Reaper metronome and use a free metronome plugin. If you're still getting the same results with Hi-Z being used, then it does point to an interface issue. I tried replicating your problems with my SPL Crimson last night and couldn't. 

• Some cheaper interfaces can have problems. The mk1 UR22 had monitor mix problems with Hi-Z being used. 

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60830

Next step I'd go for: disable the Reaper metronome and use a free metronome plugin. If you're still getting the same results with Hi-Z being used, then it does point to an interface issue. I tried replicating your problems with my SPL Crimson last night and couldn't. 

Ah cool. Thanks man. Its just a cheapo interface and from my reading up on it, it seems that this is the kinda thing that happens in prducts with cheaper designs and components.

I think though I was just using a particularly loud metronome which made me sit up and notice it... then, I couldn't unhear it, so to speak.  I bet its always done it without me noticing!