Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this acceptable behaviour by a live act?

What's Hot
AlnmouthAlnmouth Frets: 80
Last year I went to see Uli Jon Roth in concert for the first time ever, and probably the last.

For those who don't know, he is a German guitar player who was in the Scorpions back in the 1970s.  My main gripe was that he did not come on stage with his band until 9.15pm.  Before then we had just one support act, which lasted only around half an hour.  This was on a weeknight; I had work the next day, and so I was not prepared to stay till the very end of the concert.  I enjoyed what I saw of the concert, but next time Herr Roth comes to town I will pass on buying a ticket.

Last night I went to see a Thin Lizzy tribute band - a long set with no support act.  The doors opened at 6.30pm, and I arrived shortly before 7pm.  I was then a bit miffed to find out that the band was not due on stage until 7.30.  In the end they came on stage at 7.50pm.

Again it was a weeknight, and I had work the next day, and so I did not stay till the bitter end.  I enjoyed the concert, but all the same I do resent them coming on stage twenty minutes late.  Next time they are in town I might go to see them again, but I am not sure.
23reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    I'd watch live concert videos during the week, and go to gigs on the weekends  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Freebird said:
    I'd watch live concert videos during the week, and go to gigs on the weekends  :)
    To be fair I have been to some nice concerts on weeknights before now.  Okay, so I have to leave before the end, as I don't want to be late for work next morning.  But that is no big deal if the main act comes on stage at a reasonable time.

For the record, I recently went to see Glen Hughes playing Deep Purple songs on a weeknight, and I enjoyed that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2018
    We should be able to claim compensation!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    Imagine you are the band. 
    What time are you going to start your set?
    Will there be anyone there?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    For heavens sake, please don't ever go to a gig in the US because you'll be tucked up in bed before they main act are in stage. Seriously, they start very late there. Here in the UK I would expect the main act to be on anytime between 8-9pm. Weekdays...workdays? The artists and bands wouldn't even consider this.
    You guys must be the first people that I have heard who leave a gig early for work the next day. Can I ask how old you all are? In my 20's/30's I'd go to gigs in London and drive home to Lancashire and still be at work for 8 am the next morning. This was a normal occurence, three gigs a week was typical for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744

Yes it is.    

Unless I’m missing something I don’t see what the issue is.   What would you call a reasonable time for a gig to finish?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Rock n roll and work nights - not natural bedfellows.

One of last times I went to see a band, Jason Lytle at a club in Brighton, I rolled up at 9pm thinking I’d be in good time, to be informed the gig was nearly over.  I went in anyway and was treated to 10 mins of dire crapness. Obviously a work night for him, fleecing the sheep.
  • John_P said:

Yes it is.    

Unless I’m missing something I don’t see what the issue is.   What would you call a reasonable time for a gig to finish?
    The issue is not the finish time.  Little Mix begin their encores at around 10.30pm.  For Big Country it is even later.  The issue is that they should come on stage at a reasonable time.  This is especially important on weeknights, when many people will leave early because they have work the next day.

Strat54, it is quite normal for people who work to care about not being late.  I have known many cases of people either being sacked from jobs or else quitting to avoid being sacked.  Poor timekeeping is one of the reasons.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alnmouth said:
    John_P said:

Yes it is.    

The issue is not the finish time.  Little Mix begin their encores at around 10.30pm.  For Big Country it is even later.  The issue is that they should come on stage at a reasonable time.  This is especially important on weeknights, when many people will leave early because they have work the next day.

Strat54, it is quite normal for people who work to care about not being late.  I have known many cases of people either being sacked from jobs or else quitting to avoid being sacked.  Poor timekeeping is one of the reasons.
    Never been late for work, ever. I was my own boss for 30 years but people relied on my business being open at the correct time. Do you start work early?
  • Pearl Jam in Leeds a few years back, took a short break so people could call babysitters. They played til nearly midnight. 

You could not have paid me enough money to leave early. Fuck that! It's one night, and I work to live, not live to work. 

This theory thst "people leave early on weeknights" is not one I recognise. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • I have very fond memories of going to see Uli many years ago. The excellent Nicky Moore sharing vocals. 

Some venues give show times in advance and some don’t . Sometimes a late start is for a reason beyond the control of the artists ( I suspect Uli likes to be tucked up with his cocoa in good time these days). 
    To the best of my memory I’ve only ever left one gig early that I paid for ( Furniture in about 1574) although you do see a lot of people pop off ten minutes early these days ( presumably to try to get off the car park ). 

For anyone who isnt isn’t a time traveller here are Furniture:

https://youtu.be/1JeEXP717T0
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited November 2018
    Alnmouth said:
    Last night I went to see a Thin Lizzy tribute band ....  Next time they are in town I might go to see them again, but I am not sure.
    Missed a trick there, surely you should have said the next time the boys are back in town?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Pearl Jam in Leeds a few years back, took a short break so people could call babysitters. They played til nearly midnight. 

You could not have paid me enough money to leave early. Fuck that! It's one night, and I work to live, not live to work. 

This theory thst "people leave early on weeknights" is not one I recognise. 
    Absolutely. Saw PJ on their first UK tour, talked to EV before the gig. He was just stood there at the back, beanie hat rammed down and no one noticed him. Happy days. For me, bands start when they are ready. The waiting is part of the excitement, the pre gig build up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent trolling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    I spent all my 20s and 30s in Nightclubs most nights of the week
    I was always late for work
    I spent most of what I earnt on Cocaine and Hookers and the rest I wasted !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Having been going to gigs for the last 35 years I can confirm that a typical start time for a headline band hitting the stage has always been 9-9.30.
    It is only in recent times where the venue intends to have a club-night event in the venue afterwards that they have made a 10pm or 10.30 curfew for live bands resulting in them coming on earlier.

If you work as I do and don't finish till 6pm and have to then get ready to go out and go up into London for a gig - you'd often be lucky to be there by 7.30-8pm, so it's quite annoying when they make the doors open at 5pm and first support bands on by 6.30

You are lucky you never saw Guns and Roses - Axl didn't respect on-stage times for years - often 3 hours late onstage

And I've just seen that you live just outside Croydon , so until fairly recently transport was still pretty reliable getting home.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    A good few years back Uli played Croydon's Fairfield Halls , along with Michael Schenker and Joe Satriani as part of G3 concert

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Have I misread this - they were on at 7.50 and you think that's too late?

It's a gig. Not an episode of Teletubbies.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    some places rely on public transport to get people home (e.g. o2 Arenas in London), or have local regs on when the concert must finish

otherwise:
    you can't expect a tour to go on the road and only play weekends, and you can't start too early either
    I think the band should state "on stage at.." and actually mean it though
  • Dominic said:
    I spent all my 20s and 30s in Nightclubs most nights of the week
    I was always late for work
    I spent most of what I earnt on Cocaine and Hookers and the rest I wasted !
    If you were always late, then I am surprised that you even had a job.

As for cocaine, people who buy it should have all of their money confiscated to be replaced with food stamps, and no I am not joking.

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom