Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this acceptable behaviour by a live act?

What's Hot

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    choose concerts at gigs where they have a time curfew, that way the bands have to come on in time to get a full set done.

I would not expect a main act to come on the stage until 8pm at the earliest, regardless of warm up bands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Well, this thread stinks of rock and fucking roll. :)

Now, back to Countdown.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Years ago a friend of mine went to see Chuck Berry. He couldn’t be bothered with seeing a support band so he turned up just before the time when the headline act usually starts, to find hundreds of people streaming out of the venue. He stopped one and asked if it was a fire drill or something, only to be told Chuck Berry had just finished. He played from the contracted start time, for the minimum contracted duration, then left! Apparently that was normal for him.

I don’t mind too much if they don’t play at the exact listed time, but bands going on stage hours late because they're too busy having fun backstage or they’re so important their fans should wait for the privilege of seeing them are just being dicks. More than about an hour late is taking the piss.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    We regularly go the SSE in Belfast for gigs. Sometimes they’re bang on 9pm, other times it’s 9.15. No big deal. 

We also have a 35/40 min drive after the gig is over around 10.30/45 and that’s assuming we can get out of the traffic jams promptly. So, that gets us home between 11.30 and 12 (give or take). AND that includes a school night. 

As well as getting up at 5am or 5.30am you can be guaranteed one of our 3 kids will waken us during the night. 

Soooo.... does 15/20/25/30 mins bother me? Not in the slightest. But that’s me. Aside from a band carrying on backstage there are other problems that can lead to a band going on late. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    You could save time on weeknight gigs by bringing a flask of cocoa and a teddy bear with you. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    darius said:
    Imagine you are the band. 
    What time are you going to start your set?
    Will there be anyone there?
    What’s the first song?
    And where’s the bass player gone?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drive to venue for a 1 o’clock load in, Sound check at 4 catering 6 Door 730 support 8 for half an hour 830 get support off and line check headliners, 9 o’clock show 11 o’clock if your lucky load out 1230 leave venue and drive home or to the next one

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Late for work!  I can see a gig at the London O2 and then drive back to Devon and still be in work for 8am so I don't really see you have a problem.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited November 2018
    I do sort of wonder if the OP has ever experienced a soundcheck running late.

The majority of gigs I play have the headliner going on around 10:30pm. This makes me laugh a bit.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    For the opera or classical concert, definitely not. For a loud band with guitars... seems ok
  • Having been going to gigs for the last 35 years I can confirm that a typical start time for a headline band hitting the stage has always been 9-9.30.
    It is only in recent times where the venue intends to have a club-night event in the venue afterwards that they have made a 10pm or 10.30 curfew for live bands resulting in them coming on earlier.

If you work as I do and don't finish till 6pm and have to then get ready to go out and go up into London for a gig - you'd often be lucky to be there by 7.30-8pm, so it's quite annoying when they make the doors open at 5pm and first support bands on by 6.30

You are lucky you never saw Guns and Roses - Axl didn't respect on-stage times for years - often 3 hours late onstage

And I've just seen that you live just outside Croydon , so until fairly recently transport was still pretty reliable getting home.

I went to my first ever paid for gig on a birthday so just coming up to 39 years of going to see bands! Not very often these days admittedly. 
    Even large venues with curfews I’ve been stuck on car parks and not got home to 2am. The more I look at this I think the OP is just trolling. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    I'm not sure if this is a troll post or not?  Most gigs start at around 9pm and finish around 11pm to 11.30pm in my experience.  I've been to local gigs 2 nights so far this week, and have struggled to get up for work the following mornings.  But that's just the way it is with midweek gigs!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited November 2018
    In London 7:50 pm is really early. I was a roadie for a European band for a while and in the week they typically went on stage at about 9:00 pm at the earliest or later unless they were doing two sets (rare but it happened at the weekend).

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • The OP is not a troll.  I do not like to take a chance on being late for work because I stayed out late the night before.  For those that do like to take that risk, maybe you could find another job if you were fired from your current job for poor timekeeping.

Also, as I pay for a concert ticket, I feel entitled to expect a level of service in return.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited November 2018
    Alnmouth said:
    The OP is not a troll.  I do not like to take a chance on being late for work because I stayed out late the night before.  For those that do like to take that risk, maybe you could find another job if you were fired from your current job for poor timekeeping.

Also, as I pay for a concert ticket, I feel entitled to expect a level of service in return.
    I trust none of your gigs have ever been a bit late, then?

I agree totally, anyway. It's really inconsiderate of bands and promoters not to organise their tour schedule and running times around your sleep schedule.
    <space for hire>
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah...um...troll confirmed  :D 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    This thread keep me smiling. Maybe the OP should write a letter of complaint to UJR, he lives in Powys I think or better still if he hasn't provided the level of service you would expect then ask for a partial refund..... 
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    edited November 2018
    I don't get the risk element of not getting up in the morning. There are things called alarm clocks that will help you there. If you are worried about not getting up after a couple of hours sleep then just don't go to bed. I've done it many times. The human body is quite resilient and missing sleep for one day doesn't do it any damage.
  • Paul7926 said:
    The human body is quite resilient and missing sleep for one day doesn't do it any damage.
    That is not true at all.   Missing sleep can cause early death.  Also, I do not appreciate being called a troll.  Maybe this forum does not need my continued presence.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnmouth said:
    Paul7926 said:
    The human body is quite resilient and missing sleep for one day doesn't do it any damage.
    That is not true at all.   Missing sleep can cause early death.  Also, I do not appreciate being called a troll.  Maybe this forum does not need my continued presence.
    With that attitude, probably not.

Then again, it's been pretty entertaining thus far this morning...
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom