Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this acceptable behaviour by a live act?

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    OP sounds fun, I’d go to a gig with him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Glad I didn't get involved in this one.

What a dick!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited November 2018
    From my experience rock bands are late much more often than on time, in contrast with classical concerts which start pretty much on the dot. I sympathise with what you’re saying and in my bands we have always tried very hard to start on the advertised time. And the professional bands and shows I’ve been in have been sticklers for timeliness. Having said that, I make it almost a rule to try never to schedule a start before 21:00. That seems to be the time when audiences are in the best mood for it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnmouth said:
    Paul7926 said:
    The human body is quite resilient and missing sleep for one day doesn't do it any damage.
    That is not true at all.   Missing sleep can cause early death.  Also, I do not appreciate being called a troll.  Maybe this forum does not need my continued presence.

You're not a troll. You are however an individual so anally retentive that it'd take seven Customs officials armed with the loader from Aliens to carry out a cavity search properly on you. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    One has to question who is more sad... the fact that @alnmouth is a bored teenager posting a ridiculous (though amusing thread) or that we’re all commenting on it.

Well, in for a penny.. in for a pound. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    Festival. Share a two man tent.

Ffs keep your side clean though, or you'll end up in court! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Festival. Share a two man tent.

Ffs keep your side clean though, or you'll end up in court! 
    And start on time... or he’ll start a thread about it!
  • lonestar said:
    We regularly go the SSE in Belfast for gigs. Sometimes they’re bang on 9pm, other times it’s 9.15. No big deal. 

We also have a 35/40 min drive after the gig is over around 10.30/45 and that’s assuming we can get out of the traffic jams promptly. So, that gets us home between 11.30 and 12 (give or take). AND that includes a school night. 

As well as getting up at 5am or 5.30am you can be guaranteed one of our 3 kids will waken us during the night. 

Soooo.... does 15/20/25/30 mins bother me? Not in the slightest. But that’s me. Aside from a band carrying on backstage there are other problems that can lead to a band going on late. 
    You gonna rock out to Little Mix next year?  They're playing a Sunday and on a Monday so I'll be giving it a miss.  
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    We regularly go the SSE in Belfast for gigs. Sometimes they’re bang on 9pm, other times it’s 9.15. No big deal. 

We also have a 35/40 min drive after the gig is over around 10.30/45 and that’s assuming we can get out of the traffic jams promptly. So, that gets us home between 11.30 and 12 (give or take). AND that includes a school night. 

As well as getting up at 5am or 5.30am you can be guaranteed one of our 3 kids will waken us during the night. 

Soooo.... does 15/20/25/30 mins bother me? Not in the slightest. But that’s me. Aside from a band carrying on backstage there are other problems that can lead to a band going on late. 
    You gonna rock out to Little Mix next year?  They're playing a Sunday and on a Monday so I'll be giving it a miss.  
    Oh hell yes! Although Sunday night is the prayer meeting and Monday night is AA... don’t worry, I’m sure I’ll get it sorted :)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    The OP would have appreciated an Isley Brothers gig I went to twenty years or more ago. They were on stage something like 7.00pm and had only done maybe 5 or 6 songs when the drummer fell backwards off the raised podium. Curtain down and gig over. We were all down the pub before 8.15.

If only they were all like that, eh? ;) 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Someone give OP a nappy change. Put him to bed before 7pm. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is the most ludicrous opening post I’ve read in a while, think I need to go for a lie down. ;)
  • Alnmouth said:
    The OP is not a troll.  I do not like to take a chance on being late for work because I stayed out late the night before.  For those that do like to take that risk, maybe you could find another job if you were fired from your current job for poor timekeeping.

Also, as I pay for a concert ticket, I feel entitled to expect a level of service in return.
    My word, the snowflake generation...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 443
    The OP aside, I think for me there is a point here. 
    Obviously 7:50 is fine, disregarding that I do think it's unfortunate that often bands don't come on until 10pm. If you stay till the end it's midnight, then you need to get home on top of that. If you've gone to Manchester from Leeds, which I do often, then it's a good hour and a half till I'm in bed. I don't worry about being sacked because of course I'll be up in the morning, but my job is one where I can't be knackered the day after. I have to make serious decisions with repercussions, and I can't do that on 5 hours sleep. This varies from person to person, I know plenty of people who can and do function on 5-6 hours, but personally I can't do it, and professionally I won't put myself in that position. So, yes I often have to leave gigs early, in fact I can't remember the last gig I stayed for the very last tune of. However it's up to the band and the venue, and if I don't like it I will just vote with my feet and not go. Ultimately, it's an annoyance and disappointing if I have to miss the band, but that's part of my career choice. 
  • Alnmouth said:
    The OP is not a troll.  I do not like to take a chance on being late for work because I stayed out late the night before.  For those that do like to take that risk, maybe you could find another job if you were fired from your current job for poor timekeeping.

Also, as I pay for a concert ticket, I feel entitled to expect a level of service in return.
    My word, the snowflake generation...
    I dont believe OP is a millennial (assuming that’s who you mean by snowflake!). Surely no one under 50 would care for such a live act?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I went to see John Martyn in the mid 80s. The support act finished about 8.30pm. Shortly before 10.00pm, a barely able to stand John Martyn came on stage for a very short set.

I’d seen him a few times before and was used to his performances being ‘variable’, depending on how pissed/stoned he was - but this was just unacceptable.

It didn’t stop me going to see he every time he played Manchester subsequently right up until his last tour. Poor form when a hero lets you down though....
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    fandango said:
    darius said:
    Imagine you are the band. 
    What time are you going to start your set?
    Will there be anyone there?
    What’s the first song?
    And where’s the bass player gone?
    Goddamn it bass player! The OP is in the audience. He's gonna be soooo pissed.
    How is anyone going to enjoy our set if we don't start at the advertised time +/-10minutes. It's the main reason people come to see live music.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not sure the possibility of just not going to gigs if they cause such an issue has been suggested enough. If you were going for kidney dialysis or whatever and the timing was causing a problem then yeah fair enough. There are loads of gigs and jam sessions and whatever that I'd love to go to but I don't because of timing, and practicability. Tough tits, as they say

And I'm a millennial
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Oh well, sadly the OP has requested to leave the group. I think we offered them no validation.....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/143308/please-end-my-membership#latest

Thanks for the entertainment.