Recommend me a beginner Bass/Amp

What's Hot
Steve922Steve922 Frets: 38
    I'm thinking of picking up a cheap Bass and Amp for use at home. Since its only for in-house use for myself and grandson (both of us are mediocre Guitarists and neither of whom have ever played or know anything about Bass Guitars!) I don't want to spend much unless we get into the instrument and decide to take it more seriously. Right now its just exploratory.
    I see there are several cheap beginner packs like this one around :-
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/LA-Bass-Guitar-and-15W-Amp-Pack-Blue/1F
    Looking on ebay, Facebook, etc. I can't see anything on the local used market which looks remotely trustworthy.
    I'd be very interested in the panel's thoughts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    The usual suggestions are pre-owned examples of the Yamaha RBX, Ibanez/Soundgear (G)SR, Cort Action or Squier Affinity Precision Bass. Other brands such as Harley-Benton, Hohner, Tanglewood and JHS/Encore/Vintage offer some excellent value for money instruments but, also, some dire tat. Caveat emptor.

Home use only points towards a low wattage solid state or digital modelling amplifier. 

If both items are to be purchased together, it might work out more affordably to buy the instrument and amp together as a "starter pack".
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything these days is generally decent compared to the crap that was about when I started.

Sometimes the fretends, trussrod or intonation needs sorted, but isn't that the case with something more expensive too?
  • sparkspark Frets: 22
    Any squire, fender, ibanez, GL, Cort, that fit with your budget will be better than the s*** i had when i started.
    Home amp, my suggestion is:  if you have an external sound card use it with a DAW and save the money, if not try a cube amp or something like that.
  • spark said:
      if you have an external sound card use it with a DAW

By Sound Card, are you referring o the one in mp computer? I thought all PC sound cards are internal?  And hten, just what is a DAW exactly?
  • sparkspark Frets: 22
    edited November 2018
    Steve922 said:
    spark said:
      if you have an external sound card use it with a DAW

By Sound Card, are you referring o the one in mp computer? I thought all PC sound cards are internal?  And hten, just what is a DAW exactly?
    I was talking about a external/dedicated one (if you want to work with editing, recording, mixing sound you need one), if you don't have one (as it looks like) go for a small amp (cube, orange micro crush,...)

DAW: Digital Audio Workstation (logic, protools, reaper), stay away from it !!!